Dude, I'm building a Dell

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
You may have seen a recent thread of mine where I stuck an RX 580 in a Dell Optiplex 7010 just because I could. And I thought I broke the front panel connector and ordered a replacement mobo but I ended up fixing the original. Now that computer is running well. I opted to keep the I5 3570 in it. It's pretty basic but it works. A coworker might buy it off me

But I knew I had a Dell mobo coming, and I have an E3 1240 V2 sitting here that I bought for the other one so I thought, well why not just build one from parts. I have My Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming not doing a thing. Then I found Harpin Repairs makes I/O adapters so that the mobo will work in a standard case, so perfect storm, and I ordered an OEM cooler, rear case fan, temp probe and the adapters so that it does not have startup errors + all the other parts. I'm stuffing this all into a DIY PC A5 Black, because it has a basement and a tempered glass panel, looks decent and I can RGB it up . I even ordered sleeved PSU extensions.. Kind of messed up, because my main rig which is fairly powerful with it's new RX 6700 XT is stuffed into a Rosewill office PC case. But I'm building an Optiplex 7010 into a full on gaming rig.

The flood of parts should be fully in by Saturday... The 7010 series is the last series Optiplex ( and the sister Precision ) that uses a 24 pin motherboard connector. All later ones use an 8 pin. Adapters exist but only with K&M wire colors

Well, I've got everything to build the Rig, except a usable case.. I understand that I bought the cheapest case I possibly could while looking decent ( DIY PC A5 ), however it would be usable if it was shipped correctly ( Newegg but through Ebay ).. No amount of straightening will work as the entire chassis is twisted.. It looks like an 'ok' cheap decent case, as flimsy as you might think. But it would actually be cool

After some thinking. I opted to see what my local Bestbuy has in stock, and reserved a 4000D airflow for pickup tomorrow.. Yup case cost more than a complete Optiplex 7010. But I guess if it's over the top, just send it at that point... But really, I just don't want to deal with shipping back too many damaged cases.

Well, it works. Corsair 4000D housing a Dell Optiplex 7010. It generates an error running the onboard diagnostics due to USB 2 not being connected but has no errors on boot

The HDD is going away. I did not realise that it was a thick drive and won't fit behind the tray. I have a second SSD on the way. I also have a USB3 card to gain the internal header for USB3. The mobo has one stuffed behind the graphics card.. Oh and I hooked the speaker up for the test beeps only.

Attachments

• computer2.jpg
    computer2.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 0
Looks good man. It took me a full minute to figure out what that blinding white light right on the corner of that fan was! Sleep deprivation ftw.

Looks good man. It took me a full minute to figure out what that blinding white light right on the corner of that fan was! Sleep deprivation ftw.
Lol forgot to turn the flash off. It was late last night when I got it assembled so yup. I was tired

I just got ALL the ports working on the 4000D case, including USB-C. I used a USB 2.0 header to USB C adapter. Works perfectly. I know it's kind of cheating but I only had one usable USB 3 header, and 2 USB 2.0.

I also used a Dell 5 pin to std 4 pin fan adapter which so mamy people said would cause bios errors, however even with a 3 pin Corsair from the case originally it works perfectly. It could also work with another cpu heatsink, but the OEM heatsink does the job

Re cased the original one I did that was in the OG Dell case... DIYPC A5 BK this time ( the one that I originally wanted ). Fitting cable extensions into the small case is a bit tough on cable management. This one is basic no RGB. Red/ black theme of the graphics card. I used the original case fan from the rear in the front, and one of the Corsair fan's from the 4000D case in the rear

Attachments

• PXL_20220410_235839074.jpg
    PXL_20220410_235839074.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 0
Back