DRM has ruined Resident Evil Village on PC

Kinda glad I opted for the PS5 version of this game now, as performance on it has been great and I enjoy the advanced haptics on the DS controller on there.

Sometimes stuff like this is exactly why I opt for the console version of games; generally less bugs and variables (OC settings, drivers, background apps, etc.) affecting performance and stability of games. It's pretty annoying though when I pay 2-3k for a new desktop every couple years and have a better time (despite lower IQ/performance - at least I can play the game properly) on a $500 console because of things like this.

Inb4 comments about buggy games on consoles too; note the word "generally" and there are always exceptions to things.

Legal-Vs-Pirated-DVD_o_91662.jpg

Totally unrelated, but didnt ubisoft once unironically incoorporate a crack into far cry 2 to fix some issues it was having?

View attachment 374861

Totally unrelated, but didnt ubisoft once unironically incoorporate a crack into far cry 2 to fix some issues it was having?
I don't remember if it was Ubisoft or some other one, but yeah one publisher said it "removed" the DRM but they didn't, what they did was just distribute the cracked version complete with the note left by the crack group that was viewable only in a hex editor. I mean it was a real sloppy job and the crack group gave them a thank you for legitimizing their crack as the official drm-free release rofl. The publisher then re-released the drm-free executable and stripped out the note, though I don't know if it was the same minus the note or if they actually recompiled a drm-free version of the game, but given the propensity for a publisher to be cheap as hell, I bet they just zeroed out the note in a hex editor on the same cracked exe.

Pirating never sends any kind of protest method. Companies will only see piracy as "theft", regardless of what the people doing it intend.
thats fine, bankruptcy or franchise death is also an option.

Why do people defend ligitimate purchases receiving a worse experience than those that pirate? some of you need a good knock on the head.

I can't remember the last AAA game I bought. All simply ooze with disappointment on top of the anti-consumer practices that people continuously defend.

thats fine, bankruptcy or franchise death is also an option.

Why do people defend ligitimate purchases receiving a worse experience than those that pirate? some of you need a good knock on the head.

Who said I was defending it?

Honestly, all the backlash and videos from the likes of DF will probably force Capcom to do something.

But they will quietly fix it in like page 2 of the patch notes and not admit to what really happened.

The reason I had not picked RE8 it up yet is denuvo. Denuvo = no sale to me. I don't bother pirating it either. Your game on Denuvo does not exist to me. If you must use DRM, use something else.
Really needs to be a way to filter Denuvo games out on the Steam store. They did used to usually mention which DRM a game uses on it's store page so there is that at least.

Any time you mix 2 or more forms of DRM together you risk stability, and are throwing CPU cycles and money at something worth less than nothing after the first couple weeks.

Great news! It was too much bad press to ignore.
If all these idiots with low standards would stop praising games with great reviews it would be fixed even sooner. All the asshats saying the game ran great for them and saying it was users that did not know how to maintain their computers did nothing but piss off people trying to get attention for the issues. Hell there are about a dozen other games with issues I would love to see fixed but the same type of clueless oblivious people will keep the issues from getting the proper attention.

I still want to play it, but it kind of sucks when legal buyers get a worse experience than freeloaders.
Don't you get bored to play with a scripted game story? I get bored just looking at the fps examples lol.

DRM is cancer. Most of these schemes hook into your OS in ways they really have no right too. If Microsoft was in anyway serious about security almost all of these DRM schemes wouldn't work.

If these companies really really want to make things secure. Just make your game Saas... patch it weekly and require server authentication to run. I get it people don't want to always be connected bla bla... but if I was personally given the choice, connect to a server or let our software bypass all your OS level security to run underneath. My choice would be clear. I'll take the constant server authentication and not being able to play for the 1 hour a year my internet is down over the just trust the shady company founded by ex Black hat assholes who guaranteed the publisher the first 2 weeks of sales uncracked.
That's why I don't trust any Windows computer. Different applications can modify the OS silently and permanently without the user even realizing what happens.

Capcom finally responds and is saying now there's a patch coming to fix the DRM issue on PC.

https://www.pcgamer.com/capcom-admits-resident-evil-villages-drm-makes-it-stutter-promises-patch/
What's sad is that this was only given attention when the game was cracked. Wasn't noted when websites did benchmarks or by users who bought the game, but when the crack was created and the difference was night and day. To make matters worse Capcom didn't say they were removing DRM but that they were going to "patch it". The games pirated and therefore the DRM should be removed. All of it both Capcom's and Denuvo. What is Capcom hoping to accomplish by keeping the DRM in the game? Good chance the crack will still perform better than Capcom's patch. Any future DLC or micro-transactions will still be pirated. They should just give up and remove the DRM. Also from pirates to legit customers, you're welcome.

What's sad is that this was only given attention when the game was cracked.

Maybe Capcom would've done something about it, but I'm having a feeling they likely wouldn't have. There didn't seem to be much pressure on them and little care.

DRM is cancer. Most of these schemes hook into your OS in ways they really have no right too. If Microsoft was in anyway serious about security almost all of these DRM schemes wouldn't work.

If these companies really really want to make things secure. Just make your game Saas... patch it weekly and require server authentication to run. I get it people don't want to always be connected bla bla... but if I was personally given the choice, connect to a server or let our software bypass all your OS level security to run underneath. My choice would be clear. I'll take the constant server authentication and not being able to play for the 1 hour a year my internet is down over the just trust the shady company founded by ex Black hat assholes who guaranteed the publisher the first 2 weeks of sales uncracked.
Nope, eventually authentication servers will be shutdown, still prefer Steam’s DRM though.

Maybe Capcom would've done something about it, but I'm having a feeling they likely wouldn't have. There didn't seem to be much pressure on them and little care.
I don't see much changes since Batman Arkham Knight when PC users flipped their shit over a badly optimized game. Why did Village get a pass until a crack surfaced? Are we just used to this level of performance? I guarantee you that Capcom wouldn't do anything because PC is still second citizen. We're conditioned to accept that PC games run like shit at certain moments.

Nope, eventually authentication servers will be shutdown, still prefer Steam’s DRM though.
The right thing to do would be to release a DRM free release when support ends. It wouldn't cost much.

The right thing to do would be to release a DRM free release when support ends. It wouldn't cost much.
I do not disagree but I doubt a studio will always do that. I am okay with non-invasive DRM for the initial release window and maybe 1-2 months. But when studio starts having 25-75% of, the DRM should be removed.

And when a studio shuts down I'm sure they'll take their time and money to remove the DRM. All games get cracked and all games get pirated so why continue?

And when a studio shuts down I'm sure they'll take their time and money to remove the DRM. All games get cracked and all games get pirated so why continue?
I wouldn't risk my computer running warez nowadays, unless the computer was totally isolated in its own network and no private login credentials etc existed there...

The Resident Evil Village PC port left a number of players disappointed thanks to its poor performance. The game stuttered during a number of sequences, leaving owners wondering what the issue was. It now seems that Capcom's anti-tamper V3 and Denuvo V11 may be the cause.

As pointed out by Eurogamer, the hacker Empress claimed to have played a pirated version of the game and noted that it didn’t suffer from the stuttering issues. The main difference of this version from the original version was the absence of Capcom’s DRM. “All in-game shutters like the one from when you kill a zombie are fixed because Capcom DRM's entry points are patched out so most of their functions are never executed anymore." It made for a smoother experience overall.

The Resident Evil Village PC port left a number of players disappointed thanks to its poor performance. The game stuttered during a number of sequences, leaving owners wondering what the issue was. It now seems that Capcom's anti-tamper V3 and Denuvo V11 may be the cause.

As pointed out by Eurogamer, the hacker Empress claimed to have played a pirated version of the game and noted that it didn’t suffer from the stuttering issues. The main difference of this version from the original version was the absence of Capcom’s DRM. “All in-game shutters like the one from when you kill a zombie are fixed because Capcom DRM's entry points are patched out so most of their functions are never executed anymore." It made for a smoother experience overall.
I generally don't buy Ubisoft titles because of DRM annoyances I experienced a long time ago. And I always try to buy on GoG, even if I have to wait.

Patch was released and it fixes the hitching. I doubt they even bothered to address the other issues mentioned in the digital foundry video when the game was launched since nothing was mentioned in the patch notes.

Patch was released and it fixes the hitching. I doubt they even bothered to address the other issues mentioned in the digital foundry video when the game was launched since nothing was mentioned in the patch notes.

I don't recall what other issues there were (can't see the vid now at work)? The huge performance hit from the vamp daughters bug effect? I thought that issue was tied to the DRM as well?

I'm sure DF will do a follow up vid now that it's patched since they've been following it since launch and reported it directly to Capcom as well after that last video.

I don't recall what other issues there were (can't see the vid now at work)? The huge performance hit from the vamp daughters bug effect? I thought that issue was tied to the DRM as well?

I'm sure DF will do a follow up vid now that it's patched since they've been following it since launch and reported it directly to Capcom as well after that last video.
It was just some settings that were not working like they should on the pc version. Performance issues were essentially all DRM related.

Not a surprise and still frustrating ; all this "anti-tamper" nonsense doesn't even get swiftly and officially removed in the months after release either - it usually takes a long time after the game has been cracked, if ever, showing that the companies are again relying on the fallacious "every incidence of piracy is a lost sale, we must lock things up as tightly as possible for as long as possible" garbage. Yes, not unlike StarForce of old, today's DRMs (and anti-cheat for that matter, looking at you EAC! ) have gotten increasingly invasive burrowing deep into the system and sometimes causing these issues - easy to see once cracks or removals are present but hard to tell for sure, prior.

Of course, this is only the intermediary step and despite some suggesting that it would be better I'm actually more concerned about progression - a world where the user and their PC is given the minimal amount of access to the game in service of extreme publisher control. This could happen a number of ways - games that are nearly entirely streamed, not really played on your hardware but depending to a significant degree on content sent to you, to Windows 11 and the TPM2.0 requirement to essentially turn your PC into a console that can be tracked and identified through remote attestation, to other implementations - all are invasive and unnessary ; they CANNOT be allowed to gain a foothold or else as we've seen with anything else exploitative that corporate aspects of gaming normalize, it will simply become the norm and users who object will have to go without lots of content they'd otherwise find interesting while being played off a niche objectors because it only takes a relatively small amount of people to make the ROI valid - see everything from microtransactions that aren't micro, to lootboxes, to DRM itself and beyond. We have a chance to stop it but only if there is enough blowback at any given attempt to move the needle that it becomes untenable.
We're already seeing it happen in the mobile OS space.

There are Android games that will threaten to ban you if you're rooted. Not actively cheating or anything, just running with any form of root privileges enabled, not even for that particular game, but because you need them to use a DualShock 3 over Bluetooth, or to tune the audio stack to your liking, or tweaking the UI to be more bearable, or any number of things that Android may not have APIs for.

Now imagine if Windows games refused to let you play if you have an admin account, or Secure Boot turned off, or so forth... the mobile computing experience has set a dangerous precedent that I don't want to see invading the desktop computing experience, and this time, it's going beyond UI changes.

DF's patch analysis:

I would have loved to see a comparison of the patch from Capcom and the crack from the community. As in Digital Foundry fashion they didn't perform the tests and spent half the video talking about FSR.

I played through the game twice and only noticed any visual issues a handful of times. Usually related to the sisters in the castle, which occurs pretty early in the game. I'm not saying there aren't issues for some folks, but it's not like the game is "cripplingly unplayable" for everyone either. You can get Steam refunds pretty easy. Try it out and if the game runs like trash for you - just refund it and move on.

I played through the game twice and only noticed any visual issues a handful of times. Usually related to the sisters in the castle, which occurs pretty early in the game. I'm not saying there aren't issues for some folks, but it's not like the game is "cripplingly unplayable" for everyone either. You can get Steam refunds pretty easy. Try it out and if the game runs like trash for you - just refund it and move on.
This is more about a bad practice than just one game. We want to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control.

Back