Drives Read Only After Win 10 Install

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Need halp.

Re-installed Windows tonight on a new M.2 drive on the machine in sig. Now my two 1TB HDDs and my 3.2TB SSD are all showing as read only. Using the Google I found the method to remove it using DiskPart, and when checking the disks there, it says they are not read only, but windows explorer and my programs say otherwise.

Verified that I have ownership of the drives in Windows, and they're all set to Administrators. No idea what to do

Reset all the ownership recursively. Even if they show as owned by 'administrator' it's not the administrator of the new Windows install.

Reset all the ownership recursively. Even if they show as owned by 'administrator' it's not the administrator of the new Windows install.

Unfortunately it's a no go, I even tried to set the offended drive to "Users", says I get control. Try to remove the read only from the folder, it confirms subfolders, appears all goes well, then if I check, it's still read only.

1604625829187.png

1604625851276.png

Unfortunately it's a no go, I even tried to set the offended drive to "Users", says I get control. Try to remove the read only from the folder, it confirms subfolders, appears all goes well, then if I check, it's still read only.
Isn't it normal for folders to show read only in Windows? My virtual windows install shows all folders as read only but it works normally.

Attachments

• Näyttökuva 2020-11-6 kello 8.07.10.png
    Näyttökuva 2020-11-6 kello 8.07.10.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
Isn't it normal for folders to show read only in Windows? My virtual windows install shows all folders as read only but it works normally.

I believe you are, and were correct. I was trying to get my downloads drive and folders fixed for getting my favorite linux distro's, and the client was saying "stalled" continuously, as if it didn't have write permissions.

I made a "Downloads 2" folder on the same drive and it worked fine going into that.

After recursively resetting ownership as you suggested, they still said read only, but I tried my original "download" folder, and everything worked perfectly. So I do believe you were correct, but Windoze confuzzled me by not giving me any feedback that it was indeed fixed haha.

I believe you are, and were correct. I was trying to get my downloads drive and folders fixed for getting my favorite linux distro's, and the client was saying "stalled" continuously, as if it didn't have write permissions.

I made a "Downloads 2" folder on the same drive and it worked fine going into that.

After recursively resetting ownership as you suggested, they still said read only, but I tried my original "download" folder, and everything worked perfectly. So I do believe you were correct, but Windoze confuzzled me by not giving me any feedback that it was indeed fixed haha.
Yes I have had the same problem and it's really irritating how things appear to be ok but are not. Or folders say 'read only' when they're not.
Glad to hear you got it working.

Back