Dremel VS Other Rotary Tools

I've never owned a dremel, but I do have a craftsman rotary tool that probably works just as well, if not better. It has one of those bendable shafts built-in to it, so I only need to hold onto a small end when cutting something, rather than the whole tool.

I got it on clearance as well at Sears IIRC. Unfortunately I'm not home right now, so I can't look up what model it is.

Burned out a couple of Dremels and not overly pleased with them. So maybe you did better :)

I've burned out a dremel on very light use. I am not too happy with them overall.

The bits break way too easily, too.

(yes yes, blah blah, learn to use the tool)

Mastercraft tools are generally of excellent quality. I can't directly compare that rotary tool to a real Dremel, but it's probably not much worse quality, if at all.

My Dremel is stuck on, "OMGWTFBBQ" 35 000 RPM's all the time.

It's great fun when, yknow, I've FORGOTTEN that my dremel's busted, and I turn it on low... ;)

DarkenReaper57 said:
I've never owned a dremel, but I do have a craftsman rotary tool that probably works just as well, if not better. It has one of those bendable shafts built-in to it, so I only need to hold onto a small end when cutting something, rather than the whole tool.

I got it on clearance as well at Sears IIRC. Unfortunately I'm not home right now, so I can't look up what model it is.
FYI The Craftsman rotary tool is a rebranded Dremel. I have quite a few diff models myself. for the heavier stuff that the multi-pro can't handle i use a 400XPR.
if you find yourself burning out dremels you are probably working it too hard, not changing/cleaning the brushes, covering the vents, or all of the above.

My chainsaw owns your dremels.

p.s when my chainsaw isnt working I jack up my car and attach a saw blade to a wheel and turn on the car then give it some gas,works great.

All of you complaining about your Dremels dying; do you have the dinky rechargable one or the real one with the foot pedal and A/C power chord?

I've had one in my family for the better part of 12 years.. never had any problems. :confused:

The bushings and motors wear out very easily on the new Dremels. I've been through 2 of them in the last 2 years (with light use). The old ones are bullet-proof. My father has an old one that's probably 10+ years old. You can not buy fancy attachments for it, but it keeps spinning...

RobotChild said:
For a few years I've been using a Dremel Multi-Pro I've noticed that it's starting to die.

I asked my Grandparents for a new rotary tool, and they got me a Mastercraft w/ a ton of extra stuff. :)

How do Mastercraft rotary tools match up to Dremels?

Edit - This is a spin saw
kit.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...6910936862&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

If you need to put in a Canadian postal code - V8A5J5

I have a Craftsman 2 speed that I have put through he!! and has never failed me.

Dremels are ok for light duty use, if you want to see material dissappear, get a rotozip! Those things fly.

My pneumatic (air power) die grinder owns your chainsaw. :p
Dremel while useful as a hobby tool really is an underpowered toy in comparrison.

I been seeing the Roto-Zip comercials on TV and wondering how those would be for Case Modding. Was thinking about starting a thread asking how they were but now I guess I don't have to.
I just got a Dremel for Christmas, its the 285 model, was hoping to get the 395 but it will do. Don't have much planned for it at the moment, eveythng I do have the 285 will be fine.

I wish I could tell you what kind of rotary tool I have. It came with a carrying case, alot of attachments and the flex shaft. It doesn't have settings like the dremels where you click it into place like 6 different settings or 10 different settings or whatever. It DOES go up to 35,000 rpm, but the speed setting is on a dial. You can have it just barely moving all the way up to full speed. Wherever you want. I did own a dremel before, like when the dremel was first becoming popular before all these neat gadgets were available for it. Personally, I think this tool is BETTER than that dremel that I had before. It was the good one with the multiple settings and also came with about the same things the one I have now does. My original dremel went for something like 90 bux with all the stuff it came with.
This tool that I have now I got on Ebay for...are you ready? Are you sitting down? 20 (TWENTY!!) 20!!. I said 20 bux!!
Yes, I was highly skeptical that it would be any good. However, as I've made clear already, it works great and I've used the hell out of it. A few broken cutting disks just like I had with my original dremel. No biggie. Just wear some eye protection.
Just go look on EBAY. I'm tellin ya. It's a great deal. I would provide a link but I'm at work and here, Ebay is blocked on the firewall..so...nyeh.

In other news, my girlfriend's dad got me a brand new dremel for Christmas, I'm told. I haven't opened it yet and he knew damn well I had my rotary tool already, so I dunno WTF the deal is if he really got me a new dremel. I have no use for it. Maybe I'll sell it and buy a new computer case or somethin'...hehe.

My first dremel was a POS - it was a cordless. My current one I bought 2 years ago - it's a power cord variable speed model, and I never had a problem with it. The cordless just ran out of juice too quickly.

Back