Downfall of UltraSparcs

I have a softspot for sun, I used to work for an Op's team looking after a bunch of E6500's and a couple of 6900's. The downfall of Sparc was the move away from x86, since x64 came through, the main advantage of massive amounts of memory disappeared over night. Multicores just sealed the coffin.

recently SPARC has been pretty crappy on single threaded performance, but very good at multi-threaded server loads (surprise?), additionally, a SPARC M class server is like $60k+

tis nuts I say :)

Threads, surely you mean strands? That's what Oracle call them.:rolleyes:

aOAFdl.jpg

Watch the video center left. Must of been there for at least two years and no one has noticed.

Nostalgia. :p

I guess by "back in the day" you mean before the Pentium Pro came out. UltraSparc wasn't a very fast processor for integer workloads (but it was for FP, back in the mid-1990s), which is why it became roadkill so quickly, steamrolled not only by Alpha, but also Pentium Pro and Xeon. ;)

Nostalgia. :p

I guess by "back in the day" you mean before the Pentium Pro came out. UltraSparc wasn't a very fast processor for integer workloads (but it was for FP, back in the mid-1990s), which is why it became roadkill so quickly, steamrolled not only by Alpha, but also Pentium Pro and Xeon. ;)

In computer terms, that may as well been a hundred years ago.
One year in the computer industry is like 10 in any other industry the way the tech moves.

But that doesn't stop it from being classic. :cool:

Back