Dolby Vision in Windows?

Domingo

Fully [H]
I was curious about whether Netflix could display DV in Windows when I stumbled upon some random Reddit threads that say it IS possible. There are even links to this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/app/9pltg1lwphlf?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
I was able to install the package without issue (and I have a TV that can display it), yet I can't seem to find how it actually works and/or how to enable it. Some posts mention that it integrates with the Dolby Access app, but I don't how/where. Searching on the Dolby Access site has been mostly fruitless.

Anybody have any insight? Not that big of a deal, but I'd love to use it if it's possible.

i can get hdr working in the windows app but not the site and the only way ive got DV to work is via the tv's app. seems to be a real pain in the ass...

Yes that app will allow playback of DV profile 8 and DV profile 5 in mp4 container on Windows, no you don't need Dolby Access or the other stuff installed, just that

In the test file below you can see the DV8 RPU metadata in this file being interpreted and displayed via the Windows Movies & TV app after you install that DV app - when it's working you'll see obvious bright/dark/what looks like color shifts onscreen corresponding with what the text says is the metadata being demoed at that time - when it's not working you only see the text change that's it

You will also notice DV 5 colors are now correct too if you play one of those

TEST FILES : https://mega.nz/file/hHQXwQ5Y#KrMwvoO46sUZOAh_HrM7zQf0CSsUcjOE7ej9gTN2P7o

It does not enable Win32 apps to play back DV if that's what you want, only supports store apps that play DV and not in mkv only mp4

It will be hard to know when everything is working right, you'd have to see the stream information to make sure Netflix specifically is sending DV stream to you. All DV processing takes place in the Win Store player app (that what that app allows, player led Dolby Vision playback confined entirely to the app) your TV/monitor will stay in HDR mode and won't kick into Dolby Vision mode because not needed the way that plugin implements Dolby Vision.

Also apps like Netflix might require a Dolby Vision certified/licensed computer - which is what the Dolby Access version of having Dolby Vision on Windows is. That also might allow Win32 playback. It also might allow Display Led Dolby Vision. But no clue as I don't have it to test.

But as the DV8 & DV5 RPU test files show, that app does allow actual DV 8 & 5 playback with RPU processing/displaying on unlicensed computers.

Last edited:
Very interesting. I don't even normally have Windows Movies & TV installed. I use MPC-HC (and MadVR) for playing video files. It flags the file as having HDR and plays it with HDR mode enabled. I installed Movies & TV and it seems to want you to enable HDR within Windows to view it correctly.
Seems like DV support is a little shaky, so I guess I won't sweat it.

Very interesting. I don't even normally have Windows Movies & TV installed. I use MPC-HC (and MadVR) for playing video files. It flags the file as having HDR and plays it with HDR mode enabled. I installed Movies & TV and it seems to want you to enable HDR within Windows to view it correctly.
Seems like DV support is a little shaky, so I guess I won't sweat it.

Yes unlike TVs I find (at least on my jank shit) HDR needs to be enabled beforehand on Windows always - for media or gaming - if HDR monitor or if HDR TV is hooked up - no Auto-HDR on/off

The test file is a Dolby Vision profile 8 (HDR10 base + DV RPU) if that's what you were talking about - I can capture what it should look like playing with DV enabled via my phone if you want to make sure you're seeing it right (should be obvious when DV is working or not though like I said with that specific test file)

And yeah unfortunately, this is not for Win32 apps. I don't mess with MadVR too much as I don't use it - the Dovi_Tool I link to in my Dolby Vision guide here on this subforum, it's gonna have a feature to generate DV RPU metadata from any HDR10 file via madVR IIRC just FYI.

1634222909240.png

Last edited:
Back