Does / Will z490 bring anything new to market?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Will z490 bring anything new to market other then a skt with 1200 pins? Do we get a few more PCIe lanes, Faster DMI, etc?? Just wondering

I'm getting in the mood to upgrade my six year old Z97X board (by far the longest I've gone with one build). Call me crazy but a z390 and a 9600K running at a decent speed (4.8-5.0ghz) seems like plenty of power and features for me.

It should be an incremental upgrade over Z390. To be fair, aside from lacking PCIe 4.0 Z390 is pretty even with X570.
That is a rather big lack in my opinion, plus Z390 do not support 16 core CPUs if one needed such a configuration.

Gigabyte seems to have more metal on the Aorus Ultra

Z490 Aorus Elite added another M.2 heatsink

ASUS says they have AI Overclocking, Cooling and Networking. Not saying it is useful

Their AI Overclocking helps give a reasonable estimate of what vcore your CPU can handle. This apparently has been improved on Z490, Asus Bing mentioned it in his videos.
On Z390, Gigabyte's auto setting was simply based on VID and an average (medium range) value for AC Loadline+Intel default loadline calibration for the voltages. Enabling LLC while in this mode however would cause excessive vcore (when LLC is raised up, the AC Loadline should be lowered in both Auto and DVID (Offset) modes).
No idea about their Z490.

Auto networking and cooling? What?

ASUS AI Cooling function will automatically manage and control motherboard-connected fans to ensure optimal settings based on current system load and temperature.

I noticed that most (all?) of the ITX boards seemed to have very simplified audio jacks (speaker, mic, line in) and no optical out.

Not loving that.

i pre ordered the Asus Maximus Formula... crossing fingers that it will OC 4x8GB "B" Die mem over 4000MT/s. Amazon shows it being delivered by 5/22. Guessing Intel will give me a fight getting a 10900k

Buildzoid is excited about per core Hyper-Threading disable.

Interesting on disabling hyperthreading can increase a worst core OC allowing for an overall better OC. His numbers did not seem that significant overall but for certain applications like games this could make a benchmark difference. I just think the per core OC with Ryzen gives much more flexibility except last year when I tried it it was unstable -> have to see if that improved with the newer version of Ryzen Master. Just hope to see some 10900K reviews coming up shortly.

Interesting on disabling hyperthreading can increase a worst core OC allowing for an overall better OC. His numbers did not seem that significant overall but for certain applications like games this could make a benchmark difference. I just think the per core OC with Ryzen gives much more flexibility except last year when I tried it it was unstable -> have to see if that improved with the newer version of Ryzen Master. Just hope to see some 10900K reviews coming up shortly.
I suppose when you are trying to set records every MHz counts.

Back