Does TRIM effectively does the same thing as permanently deleting data?

pinoy

Limp Gawd
If I delete a file and immediately run the TRIM command and wait a few minutes. Is the file effectively deleted by the SSD controller and is gone for good?

I think the data still may exist on the flash but since it's marked in the mapping table on the SSD as unused reading and the sector through normal means will return 0s that is if you can even read the sector because sectors are not necessarily mapped in order. The controller may just not read sectors that have no mapping and instead just return 0.

If I delete a file and immediately run the TRIM command and wait a few minutes. Is the file effectively deleted by the SSD controller and is gone for good?
not sure where "No" is coming from other posters (i replied to your secure erase post as well)

if you send a trim command (windows defrag > optimize) your data is gone/puff/not recoverable

TRIM is normally an instant TRIM Zero command action on non samsung SSDs (SSDs that "don't "support Read Zero after TRIM and Deterministic Read After TRIM) << samsung normally support these 2 so wont lock up the system when trimming a ssd after a large delete and trim

on samsung SSDs Yes they are queued up for idle garbage collection, but it will return Zeros for where the data used to be at the LBA location (does it more intelligently) but no it's not recoverable

Back