Does "Threadripper Ready" actually mean anything?

Circumnavigate

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for ram on Newegg for a Threadripper 3970x build.

When sorting through the search options on the left one of the boxes you can check mark when looking through DDR4 ram says "Threadripper Ready" and then there are only a fraction of the ram options that qualify as that.

Does anyone know if this actually means anything or is it some sort of a marketing gimmick?

Is there some specific type of ram that works especially well with Threadrippers or am I good just grabbing any regular DDR4?

Thanks for the help.

I can't even find that option - any chance you can link to it? As best as I can tell that's just a marketing term by G Skill. You should be good to use regular DDR4, check your motherboard QVL list to confirm if a specific set has been tested to work properly.

I can't even find that option - any chance you can link to it? As best as I can tell that's just a marketing term by G Skill. You should be good to use regular DDR4, check your motherboard QVL list to confirm if a specific set has been tested to work properly.
2020-11-29 09_04_48-Desktop Memory _ Newegg.com.jpg

Here is a screen shot, I got "ready" mixed up with "compatible"

If you select sold by Newegg only, there are only 2 kits of RAM under 'Threadripper Compatible'. I probably would just find a set that is the right speed and price you're looking for(without filtering it) and then check the QVL for the motherboard you're looking to purchase and confirm it's on there. Alternatively, find a kit with the speed you want on the QVL list of the motherboard you're looking to purchase, and then go looking for that kit to purchase. There should be no need to get Threadripper specific memory. 2 sets of normal DDR4 that are all the same speed should run fine in quad channel.

Aside from the HCL/QVL I'd also check memory vendor web sites. Some of them will guarantee compatibility if you use their memory selector and buy direct. I've been a Crucial fan for a long time due to never having had a problem with them (possibly due to always checking their site before buying their stuff) and quit worrying about buying direct a long time ago, but Kingston does the same thing and I'm sure others do too.

Back