Does RAID 60 support online capacity expansion?

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I'm pretty sure that online capacity expansion is going to be limited by the controller. It has nothing to do with the RAID level itself.

I have some Dell Powervault MD1000's connected to the new PERC 6/E raid controllers.

We used to run RAID 50 but don't like the fact we have to buy all the drives we are ever going to use for the RAID 50 set because it doesnt support OCE.

My question is does RAID 60 support OCE? When I asked Dell Technicians why RAID 50 doesnt support OCE they said it was a limitation of the RAID, not anything to do with the hardware. Does RAID 60 suffer from this same limitation?

Yes, I would imagine that it does. RAID60 is evern worse (for the controller) than RAID50, depending on how exactly thay are implementing the extra parity drive. I will tell you this though, there's a reason that most controllers don't do RAID6, let alone 60...it's much more compute intensive than 5/50 is. I would bet that if it applies to 5/50 then it would also apply to 60. That being said, I would not expect RAId10 would not have these limitations.

How did Dan_D get his post to be #1, when the op's post is #2? :eek:

Back