Does anyone know when PCIE 5 NVME drives are dropping?

Isn't a bit wild that I cannot find any review, if people has them ?

I mean I know there is giant diminishing return, but that quite the lack of interest around the first consumer PCI 5 drives

Or maybe I am just bad at google

That's impressive (I have little reference to known if it was not already instant with 4.0 drive too... but in a vacuum quite impressive):

Last edited:

I mean I know there is giant diminishing return, but that quite the lack of interest around the first consummer PCI 5 drives

It is very strange. I feel like I am going to have to do my own review after I get my PC set up.

I specifically just bought an wd SN850X bc i want an upgrade to my pci3 wd_black. Ill be waiting nice and long on this pci 4 until pci 5 have its act together

Ditto. I bought a pair of those for my new build.

this 2TB SN850X. At this point I can ditch SSDs all together and live in the glorious world of nvme only
Ditto, ditto & ditto.....

I ditched all other drives back right after m.2's first came out.... and I recently scored a deal for a bunch of SN850x's @$139 each..... 8 for upcoming client builds and 8 for personal use... talk about glorious :)

I mean I know there is giant diminishing return, but that quite the lack of interest around the first consumer PCI 5 drives

That's impressive (I have little reference to known if it was not already instant with 4.0 drive too... but in a vacuum quite impressive):

There was almost no gain going from PCIE 3 to PCIE 4 for NVME drives with regards to game and windows loading times. Quality had more to do with the controller used, if it had onboard DRAM, and whether is was TLC or the much less robust QLC. Same would apply here for PCIE 4 to 5.

There was almost no gain going from PCIE 3 to PCIE 4 for NVME drives with regards to game and windows loading times.

https://hothardware.com/news/directstorage-forspoken-benchmarks-pcie-345

There is case where you can measure the diff between 3 and 4 it seem for direct storage, but 4 and 5, seem impossible for now

Did finally found a review:
https://hothardware.com/reviews/phison-e26-pcie-5-nvme-ssd-preview

Standard game on the left, direct storage (but GPU decompression less I think) game on the right

ff-1-phison-e26-pcie-5-ssd-performance.png
enchmark-chart-compusemble-directstorage-forspoken.jpg

Has the rest of the PC hardware (CPU-ram) get faster and game assume-made with nvme in mind, it is good from time to time to revalidate, specially with direct storage.

IMO, the quickest difference I've noticed between drives in my day-to-day is when doing image back-ups with Macrium reflect. I don't copy ginormous files back and forth much, and a second or two doesn't really matter much with the stuff I do in Adobe CC. With games, there's zero difference.
BUT, doing a full image backup (especially from one quick drive to another) can be exponentially quicker. Ditto with loading an image, too. With a pair of two SN850X's, the whole process only takes around 7-8 minutes.

https://hothardware.com/news/directstorage-forspoken-benchmarks-pcie-345

There is case where you can measure the diff between 3 and 4 it seem for direct storage, but 4 and 5, seem impossible for now

Did finally found a review:
https://hothardware.com/reviews/phison-e26-pcie-5-nvme-ssd-preview

Standard game on the left, direct storage (but GPU decompression less I think) game on the right

View attachment 553310View attachment 553311

Has the rest of the PC hardware (CPU-ram) get faster and game assume-made with nvme in mind, it is good from time to time to revalidate, specially with direct storage.
Yep, almost no difference even with DirectStorage tech. I was only aware of Forspoken having it, so it's cool that more games are coming out with it.

Dang - random Q1T1 read speeds still less than half of what a 900P Optane drive got on PCIE3. One of these days they'll catch up.

Dang - random Q1T1 read speeds still less than half of what a 900P Optane drive got on PCIE3. One of these days they'll catch up.
Yea, well, that's currently scheduled to be released on May 13th, 2036.... see ya then, hehehe :D /s

Back