Does anyone know when PCIE 5 NVME drives are dropping?

I think most if not all am5 boards I saw had them. That being said, if the manufacturer recommends a heat sink that fucking big + a fan in there too, do you really think the tiny heat sinks the boards come with will work?

I think most if not all am5 boards I saw had them. That being said, if the manufacturer recommends a heat sink that fucking big + a fan in there too, do you really think the tiny heat sinks the boards come with will work?
The one that is on my Aorus Master Z790 isn't tiny though. It's like 3 inches tall and 10 inches wide with a huge surface are that air flows over. I would say it's pretty huge if you ask me lol

If they can controll the heat or get the performance a bit higher without it costing a billion dollars per TB, I would be in. The tech is really a year or more before it is ready for primetime.

I’m a little concerned with how delayed these are versus original announcements. Usually they will at least have a paper launch with a token amount released if things are at least on track.

At CES, most of the models they were showing had an estimated availability date of Q3. Between that and the estimated heat/pricing, I gave up on waiting for 'em.

I specifically just bought an wd SN850X bc i want an upgrade to my pci3 wd_black. Ill be waiting nice and long on this pci 4 until pci 5 have its act together

my goal is to have a 1 TB pcie5 and this 2TB SN850X. At this point I can ditch SSDs all together and live in the glorious world of nvme only

my goal is to have a 1 TB pcie5 and this 2TB SN850X. At this point I can ditch SSDs all together and live in the glorious world of nvme only
Sounds like a good plan. Once 3d cache drops I will make my decision that day based on reviews and order whatever 1 TB budget friendly SSD I can and then get 5.0 when I can. I can use the 4.0 as a temp drive for game captures or something.

starts.jpg

CFD Gaming’s first next-gen SSD is now on sale in Japan.

I wonder how hard it would be to get one out of Japan.

Edit: So far everyone one I have seen comes with some kind of active cooler. It seems like just about every high end motherboard has some kind of plate that goes over the SSDs. How are you supposed to even use one of these? Can those plates just be left off and look terrible?

8 gb of ram on your hard drive that starting to be quite the amount

How are the fans on these powered? My motherboard fan brackets are full. Does the slot itself provide power, or do you have to run one of those accessory cables?

It's an interesting problem with a single storage component generating so much heat as to require active cooling. I've felt it was weird for the whole PCIe gen 4 generation having heatsink and non-heatsink options.

I hope there's a chance the whole industry goes back to 2.5" or 1.8" cable connected formats. Stick those components at the front of the case behind an intake fan.

View attachment 545157

CFD Gaming’s first next-gen SSD is now on sale in Japan.

I wonder how hard it would be to get one out of Japan.

Edit: So far everyone one I have seen comes with some kind of active cooler. It seems like just about every high end motherboard has some kind of plate that goes over the SSDs. How are you supposed to even use one of these? Can those plates just be left off and look terrible?
I can forward you an email contact for a 3rd party buyer for Japanese goods. Used them a lot, to import music CDs. Including having them bid on a rare CD for me, on Yahoo Japan's auction site.

Their fees are very low.

Thanks for the offer, but as the CPU I want got delayed to end of month I’m going to wait and see what is offered at that time.

The fan doesn't bother me but wtf a Molex connector in this day and age.

It feels especially odd considering you have to have brand new hardware to even support PCIE 5. I don't think my PSU even came with molex cables. I don't mind the fan as much as having to power the damned thing externally. I'd want something that uses motherboard fan connectors or better yet, a setup that powers the fan without an additional cable. So far all of the PCIE 5 drive that have been shows have been rocking a fan, so that might be something for motherboard makers to focus on next year,

Last edited:
I highly doubt AMD and other mobos would strongly advertise all these mobos as PCI5 gen storage ready and then say oh tough shit lol you need 25110. Thats a huge lawsuit ready to happen

When you look up that size, it's a bunch of articles from a year ago and Gigabyte seems to be the only board manufacturer that even acknowledges it. Either way, I don't think those things would fit very well in my system even if the slot fits. I'm gonna sit this out and wait for a better form factor...or for that matter, a reason to need something faster than an SN850X.

It's probably also worth noting that everything shown so far has also capped out at 1GB. It'll be interesting to see when the larger drives start getting mentioned and what they cost.

it would make more sense for manufacturers to go to PCI-e slot SSDs instead of big m.2

Well my concerns are essentially alleviated. The product page for their AORUS Gen5 10000 SSD specifies the heat sink is in fact optional so you can use the motherboard solution and it specifies form factor of M.2 2280.

any reviews on that drive yet? Regardless. For me, I'm not spending $330 on a drive when I can put that towards a gpu upgrade and get much better gaming performace. I'll get my gen5 drive when:

1) They clearly outperform gen4
2) 1TB costs ~ $100

Last edited:
So I am getting the gen 5 ssd drive tomorrow. I am wondering if I can run it on my old computer until the new one is ready using the PCIe 5.0 M.2 card that came with my motherboard that I have not even opened yet. I have an unused slot on my ASRock Z87 Pro4 mobo. I can put this card into the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCIE3: x4 mode) to see if the computer sees it just for fun.

So I am getting the gen 5 ssd drive tomorrow. I am wondering if I can run it on my old computer until the new one is ready using the PCIe 5.0 M.2 card that came with my motherboard that I have not even opened yet. I have an unused slot on my ASRock Z87 Pro4 mobo. I can put this card into the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCIE3: x4 mode) to see if the computer sees it just for fun.

It'll be fine. PCIe is completely compatible across versions. Newer devices can be put in older slots, older devices can be put into newer slots.

It'll be fine. PCIe is completely compatible across versions. Newer devices can be put in older slots, older devices can be put into newer slots.
Do you think there is any chance of doing harm to my mobo or the SSD if I try this?

Back