Does anyone ever have trouble with the built-on I/O panel on modern motherboards and older cases?

Jack Of Owls

Weaksauce
I'm just about to order an Asus Strix z490-E motherboard (my first upgrade in years) and I'm trying to transfer as many of my old components as possible. Among them is my favorite mid-tower ATX case - Carbide Series™ 300R - which is no longer sold, I don't think. I saw someone posting a review on Amazon about the Asus motherboard screaming in uppercase not to buy this board because you'll have to remove the i/O panel to get it to fit your case. Should I anticipate any problems with that back panel getting aligned properly? This is my favorite case I've owned because it strikes that perfect balance between cool and quiet.

Boards should all be set to a standard, but with that massive thing around the IO items, who knows.

That said, quite a few "users" out there have no idea what they are doing and could have had it crooked, or not on the standoffs properly.

That rear fan is quite close to the i/o, but without seeing the rest of the case I can't think of any other reason it'd be incompatible.

You cant take amazon or newegg reviews very seriously. Many of the people that leave them arent exactly tech savvy and they certainly dont come back and amend a mistake they made. Put your trust in more professional reviewers if they're out there.
Ive had one issue with an attached io cover (not the panel) like Nobu said mine was with a noctua chromax fan that had the rubber anti vibration corner pieces. The fan was crammed right up against the io cover so tight that tightening the screws down was much harder than it should have been. Took the anti vibration pads off and the fan fit fine.
As for mbs with attached io plates, never had a problem with them. Much much prefer them over the cheesy flimsy metal plates that i always forget to put on! 😆

As for mbs with attached io plates, never had a problem with them. Much much prefer them over the cheesy flimsy metal plates that i always forget to put on! 😆

lol. I've been there myself. But perhaps even more embarrassing is I once bought one of those i/o plates for around $15 off ebay for an old motherboard I had because I couldn't stand having no i/o plate in back. A fool and his money parted spectacularly. So i/o shields are something I won't miss either. Yeah, lots of idiots on Amazon posting whacked out, ignorant reviews. Such is the nature of some computer geeks or would-be geeks. I saw one guy give a 1 star review to the XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 2280 Solid State Drive I just bought because it didn't reach 3500MB/sec transfers in his benchmark program but only gave him 3000MB/sec or something so he screeched that adata was ripping off and misleading their customers with false advertisement of specs :unsure:

lol. I've been there myself. But perhaps even more embarrassing is I once bought one of those i/o plates for around $15 off ebay for an old motherboard I had because I couldn't stand having no i/o plate in back. A fool and his money parted spectacularly. So i/o shields are something I won't miss either. Yeah, lots of idiots on Amazon posting whacked out, ignorant reviews. Such is the nature of some computer geeks or would-be geeks. I saw one guy give a 1 star review to the XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 2280 Solid State Drive I just bought because it didn't reach 3500MB/sec transfers in his benchmark program but only gave him 3000MB/sec or something so he screeched that adata was ripping off and misleading their customers with false advertisement of specs :unsure:

Well... XPG did actually change their 8200 series drives a few times. The original ones reach the rated speed while the newer revisions do not.

In any case, you shouldn't have trouble with an ATX I/O panel in any ATX case unless the case or board doesn't adhere to ATX standards.

There's always the ever handy dremel rotary tool or die grinder that'll open it up a tad if needed.

You cant take amazon or newegg reviews very seriously. Many of the people that leave them arent exactly tech savvy and they certainly dont come back and amend a mistake they made. Put your trust in more professional reviewers if they're out there.
Ive had one issue with an attached io cover (not the panel) like Nobu said mine was with a noctua chromax fan that had the rubber anti vibration corner pieces. The fan was crammed right up against the io cover so tight that tightening the screws down was much harder than it should have been. Took the anti vibration pads off and the fan fit fine.

Even my $120 Asus b450 board has the integrated i/o plate. It was my first motherboard with it and I was sold immediately on the feature. I was tentatively looking at an Asus x570 board for $220 but besides a couple of other issues for the board it didn't have the integrated i/o cover which was a major turnoff. It didn't take long to turn me into a true believer for integrated i/o covers.

I also agree with your point about Amazon and Newegg reviews. I'll still read them but without knowing the people behind them I take the reviews with a grain of salt or two. Luckily it's generally easy to spot the people who do and don't know what they're talking about but that also describes most of the people leaving reviews.

As for the original subject, it shouldn't be a problem. As a poster already stated the openings for the motherboard i/o should be a standard size for almost all cases made in the last 10-15 years, if not more. My Antec P182 was the case I originally installed my cheap Asus board in and it had no trouble fitting the integrated i/o cover. In fact it was much, much easier than messing with the flimsy i/o cover pieces. My son has the same motherboard and the case he has is a cheap one I bought several of during a clearance sale from Best Buy probably 13-14 years ago and it fit that case just fine as well.

For anyone who has issues fitting the motherboards with integrated i/o shields I would hazard a guess that the problem is more likely either a non-standard case or the case has deformed at some point.

I'm definitely all for progress when it comes to those i/o shields. I think a couple of times in my many builds I even had to go with no i/o shield because I had lost it lol So anything to make a computer nerd's life easier I'm all for. I remember the days of my first builds where if you wanted to overclock the cpu you had to mess with a bunch of physical jumpers on the motherboard itself :eek:

I'm definitely all for progress when it comes to those i/o shields. I think a couple of times in my many builds I even had to go with no i/o shield because I had lost it lol So anything to make a computer nerd's life easier I'm all for. I remember the days of my first builds where if you wanted to overclock the cpu you had to mess with a bunch of physical jumpers on the motherboard itself :eek:

Yes back when computers were actually fun to build! You had to read the manual and figure it out your self nothing auto on those old board!
My X570 Aorus Elite has the integrated IO plate I bought the non WiFi version I wonder if it still has the M.2 socket for a WiFi card or not?

I'm not even aware of any board with I/O shrouds that jut out or protrude in any way that would require more volume than what is taken up by just a regular I/O plate + ports.

Only issue would be fan interference, if the IO shield HSF setup is... big.

SO glad we have those now.

I've always found that just about everything will fit as long as you take the fan off first, install the motherboard, and then put the fan back in.

I'm not even aware of any board with I/O shrouds that jut out or protrude in any way that would require more volume than what is taken up by just a regular I/O plate + ports.
I've had a couple (generally HEDT) that get REAL close to some fan setups.
I've always found that just about everything will fit as long as you take the fan off first, install the motherboard, and then put the fan back in.
This. Or adjusting where the fan cable comes out / etc.

I'm just about to order an Asus Strix z490-E motherboard (my first upgrade in years) and I'm trying to transfer as many of my old components as possible. Among them is my favorite mid-tower ATX case - Carbide Series™ 300R - which is no longer sold, I don't think. I saw someone posting a review on Amazon about the Asus motherboard screaming in uppercase not to buy this board because you'll have to remove the i/O panel to get it to fit your case. Should I anticipate any problems with that back panel getting aligned properly? This is my favorite case I've owned because it strikes that perfect balance between cool and quiet.

Hello, I have the same case and I'm looking at possibly getting a MSI Tomahawk B550.
Any update on this? Anyone know if the io shield would touch the rear fan?

I've only had ONE not fit well on a decent modern board - and that was a second system in a case that is known to be finicky. I'd suspect you're fine.

I have only seen one board which was known to have a rear IO shroud which was a leeetle too big for general fitment.

Someone asked for an update: happy to report that there were no issues though I did go with very low profile liquid cooling instead of air, so...

Back