Does anyone else here PC game with 0 fans in their computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
For the past 3 years i've been doing 100% of my PC gaming fanlessly. That is, I removed all of the cooling fans from my computer because quite frankly, I found them to be unnecessary and I very much enjoy the complete dead silence that it provides. It's also cool to know i've reduced the machine's points of failures. You can't have fan failures if there aren't any fans. :p Admittingly I did have to perform a little underclocking in order to keep my PC as cool as i'd expect, but to me at least it was well worth the trade off, and I have yet to try a game that my PC isn't powerful enough to run comfortably. To those here that do use case fans in your computer (presumably 99%+ members), why do you? Is it because you think you need to? Don't care how loud your PC is? Don't want to allocate the time toward setting it up? Want as much power available regardless of the costs? Haha, i'm just curious what you people's thoughts are about this. I feel like once you get used to solid state tech that isn't vibrating and buzzing, it's hard to go back. (like cell phones)

(My sig specs are outdated. My rig is a little different now but i'm waiting till I find my power meter to update it)

Last edited:
it would be hard with a high end GPU, but i had a massive heatsink on an overclocked 2600k and removing the fans didn't raise the temperatures that much so I kept them off...

No lol.
My first consideration with a gaming PC is that it plays games well.
Given that, my PC is almost silent despite running a 6700K at 4.6GHz and a 1080ti over 2GHz.
But with fans!

Nope. Closest I ever came to that was my first PC, the Dell system I bought back in 1998. Only one fan in the entire thing. An 80mm front intake.

1-21-gigawats-jpg.455854

Earlier today I spent hours playing Dying Light and after checking Open Hardware Monitor, I see that my CPU just reached a max temp of 73C. The videocard peaked at a 68C max. That's with an 800mhz underclock to my CPU, and a 50 MHZ underclock to my GPU. A huge part of making this so possible, is my case is almost totally vented across the top so the hot air can easily just rise straight up and leave the case. So as long as I keep my fluffy cat from napping on the top of my PC (which really hasn't been an issue), it reliably runs very nice and cool. It pleasantly reminds me of the systems I used to game on in my youth, the 2600, NES and N64 like how they never needed whiny fans to not overheat. I remember getting a PS2 on launch and being upset that Sony used a cooling fan in it, cause going forward I knew everyone else would start doing it too in order to compete on the graphics front.

In case anyone here is unfamiliar with the system, Sony released an all-fanless micro console called the Playstation-TV back in November 2014. While the system totally and utterly bombed, they can still be found at well under their original MSRP, and surprisingly it still gets a decent amount of games released for it to this day on a monthly basis. And there's always the fanless 3DS which is still on it's last legs, although it's games must be played on a tiny screen which understandably some people aren't going to want to do.

The last time I tried that, I fried a card, as in the fan died on the card lol.

My videocard came stock without a fan. I've only bought fanless videocards for years and years. I'm wondering though, what happened to all the good AMD fanless cards? Last year I ordered a fanless RX460, but had to return it because it was defective and I swear a few weeks after that, the fanless AMD RX460s disappeared completely from the market. You can't even find them on eBay!

My videocard came stock without a fan. I've only bought fanless videocards for years and years. I'm wondering though, what happened to all the good AMD fanless cards? Last year I ordered a fanless RX460, but had to return it because it was defective and I swear a few weeks after that, the fanless AMD RX460s disappeared completely from the market. You can't even find them on eBay!
AMD cards that have some performance use a lot of power which produces a lot of heat.
They cannot run without fans, the top Fury card came water cooled!

No, but I can't hear the fans I use. You don't have to go fanless to have a quiet PC.

No, but I can't hear the fans I use. You don't have to go fanless to have a quiet PC.

indeed, you can even get somethink like a fractal design R5 or R6 without windows which come with sounddampening stuff installed.

I do kind of miss my noctua NH15 which was very quit compared to mu current aio, but it does not bother me much, gaming sounds usually cover those up most of the time.

If you don't count the 8 radiator fans, 3 case fans, the fan in the PSU, or the 3 fans in the GPU my case is completely fanless :D

It's all about control tho, my rig with it's 15 total fans is quieter and cooler than most of the CPU coolers I've tested. The reason is that there is so much overkill, the fans only ever run at 40% or below to maintain high 40's under load on my 4.2GHz 6800k. The PSU is a 1050w Seasonic that the fan almost never turns on due to the lower load, and my GPU fans don't come on unless I'm gaming.

Now if I could get a GPU that someone made a block for I'd be in heaven.

Not worth it to me, though I would like to be able to. I would lose too much performance so I rather run my fans (very) quietly.

I have an LG Portable AC unit in the garage that is louder than my PC, so I don't even hear my PC.
What is odd is that I can't have it quiet in here, feels strange, so I have the LG in fan mode whenever I am at my PC.

System in signature is water-cooled and still requires 4 fans. Half the time I leave the side window off it as well. Quiet enough, even while gaming.

For possibly the ultimate compromise between silence and performance, there's a German company called Aquacomputer that makes really amazing computer controlled electronic fan controllers. You can program the controller at exactly what temperature you'd like the fans to turn off, turn on, or increase/decrease R.P.M. Can't recommend them enough really. In my later years i've become more of a minimalist though so I enjoy going without any fan controllers and fans. God I used to spend so much money on premium Noiseblocker and Nocua fans lol.

I run a fanless computer, there are 4 fans on my external mounted rad tho but they run at 25% and are almost silent, my storage hd is louder then the fans

I run a fanless computer, there are 4 fans on my external mounted rad tho but they run at 25% and are almost silent, my storage hd is louder then the fans

No offence, but that ain't fanless. :p My PC has 100% no moving parts and zero fans in the entire system with temperatures just as good as when I used to have fans installed.

Here are my updated specs in case anyone is interested:

i5-2310 @ 2.2 GHZ (underclocked)
Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB @ 1747 MHZ (underclocked)
32GB of Crucial Ballistix 1333MHZ DDR3
800GB Intel S3700 SSD

Get a silent case like a Be Quiet or something I have a Bitfenix shogun and I couldn't believe how quiet it was with fans even.
My stupid Nvidia FE card howls though when I'm playing anything demanding.

Get a silent case like a Be Quiet or something I have a Bitfenix shogun and I couldn't believe how quiet it was with fans even.
My stupid Nvidia FE card howls though when I'm playing anything demanding.

There is no need for a "silent case" when there are no components making noise. Read my earlier posts. I've been there, done that. I enjoy the minimalist approach to not using any case fans.

Unless you’re fine with low power parts I don’t see how this is possible as you need active cooling on any current mid range or higher part. Even mobile chipsets mounted in a desktop form factor have fans.

Unless you’re fine with low power parts I don’t see how this is possible as you need active cooling on any current mid range or higher part. Even mobile chipsets mounted in a desktop form factor have fans.

Did you skim over the bit where I explained that I've got an 800mhz underclock on my CPU? I see that you can't seem to understand how my rig runs as cool as it does with zero fans, which is actually one of the primary reasons I made this thread. Read my very first post. I ask "do you think you need to use fans?" You fall into this category, and this thread is to educate people in your mindset that no, fans aren't necessary if your computer is built appropriately for it.

Did you skim over the bit where I explained that I've got an 800mhz underclock on my CPU? I see that you can't seem to understand how my rig runs as cool as it does with zero fans, which is actually one of the primary reasons I made this thread. Read my very first post. I ask "do you think you need to use fans?" You fall into this category, and this thread is to educate people in your mindset that no, fans aren't necessary if your computer is built appropriately for it.

Acting like a dipshit and not educating me more on how you're doing something doesn't help your position. In your very first post you've indicated your sig specs are outdated so telling me you've underclocked by 800mhz is of no value. Nor do you indicate how much you've undervolted by, which chipset, etc.

You've basically started this thread with nothing more than "You don't need to run fans; I underclock by 800mhz, good luck lawl" and now are giving people shit for not giving you educated responses.

You can't expect educated responses if you don't inform and educate people at the start of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back