Does adjusting partition size affect performance?

SLP Firehawk

Limp Gawd
My system originally came with a 250GB SSD. I later hardware cloned it to a 500GB SSD and finally hardware cloned it to a 1TB SSD. When I hardware cloned it, it left unallocated space so I ended up adjusting the partition size with Acronis Disk Director 12. So now I have a system drive that is 500GB on 1st partition and 500GB on 2nd partition.
My question is does this affect performance / slow down the system? I'm trying to determine if it is worth doing a clean OS install on a 1 TB drive vs having the existing 1TB having been adjusted with Disk Director.
The system is still using Win7 64

Last edited:
If you end up with filesystem clusters not aligned to the underlying hardware’s page or block boundaries it could. But it’s not likely to happen with most modern tools and OSes.

Ok thank you very much. I wasn't sure since I used third party software (Acronis Disk Director 12) to do the partition adjustment later since I couldn't do the size adjustment within Windows 7 itself

Ok thank you very much. I wasn't sure since I used third party software (Acronis Disk Director 12) to do the partition adjustment later since I couldn't do the size adjustment within Windows 7 itself
Considering Win 10 itself likes to create 3 partitions when installing, I would certainly hope that you'd be fine.

Backup and do a clean install.
May I ask why? I am wondering if I need to. I have a MASSIVE amount of software/plugins some of which cannot be re-activated so I REALLY do not want to do a fresh install but if it will help then I am willing to

I think you should be fine, have you experienced any issues? have you at any time done any test to show that you have performance issues?

as others have said, windows add multiple partitions to run itself.

Personally, I do a clean install but that is not to say what you have done isn't fine. for me it is just old habbit

I think you should be fine, have you experienced any issues? have you at any time done any test to show that you have performance issues?

as others have said, windows add multiple partitions to run itself.

Personally, I do a clean install but that is not to say what you have done isn't fine. for me it is just old habbit
My system is running slower now for some reason and I do not know why. By slower, I most noteably see Premiere Pro CS6 not running as well. The disk hardware level clone was done a long time ago but the performance "decrease" is recent. There are so many possible factors I just don't know where to go but I've always wondered if using software to adjust my partition was a detriment

If Premiere is one of your key applications and it is not running as you like it to do. I would backup my data, and run the Microsoft windows 10 install tool (can't remember the actual name) and do a clean install, if you have a fast USB key 8gb then it won't take long.

it is a bit painful but compared to what it was like back in the day, this is easy breezy! ;-)

IMHO if you can run with multiple disks I would, OS and applications on one disk, data on a second, and if you can run a scratch/(temp) disk for Premiere Pro (i think that is what it is called ;-) ) I use photoshop, this way you will optimize the flow of data

If Premiere is one of your key applications and it is not running as you like it to do. I would backup my data, and run the Microsoft windows 10 install tool (can't remember the actual name) and do a clean install, if you have a fast USB key 8gb then it won't take long.

it is a bit painful but compared to what it was like back in the day, this is easy breezy! ;-)

IMHO if you can run with multiple disks I would, OS and applications on one disk, data on a second, and if you can run a scratch/(temp) disk for Premiere Pro (i think that is what it is called ;-) ) I use photoshop, this way you will optimize the flow of data
Thank you very much. Yes my system has 5 SSDs: Win7 and Premiere / apps are on C:/ and the other drives are media drives for speed. I did have 3 SSD drives and 1 7200RPM HDD but the HDD would cause a brief pause as it kicked in after periods of idle so I finally replaced it with an SSD also and everything seemed great for a while. But something has happened and it's just not as fast as it was and I cannot figure out why.

I need to stick with Win7 because Premiere CS6 may not support 10, and 3ds max 2016 doesn't support 10, and I also have Matrox hardware (MX02 mini max) that may not work with 10. Plus I dislike windows 10.
I do still have the windows 7 DVD that came with my system but the main dread I have is installing like 100 programs/plugins as I have a TON. Plus I will lose use of at least one program because I no longer have installer but it's not the end of the world.

wow, I used to have Matrox cards before Nvidia was around

I hear your pain, well if you can’t run certain software on 10 don’t use it. Windows 7 was great, I think for the most part windows 10 is the better off the two but I also feel I have lost control of it

anyway stick with 7 if that what you need to do.

it’s amazing how much software we accumulate over the years I went through my box of old disks multiple versions of Adobe before it became cloud based. Back then having the disks it felt like you owned the software, now you are just a tenant of it.

anyway how are we going to solve this? It sounds like something has to give or you will continue to suffer with an unstable system

if you make $$$ on the box, I would go for stability as that will ensure the income stream doesn’t stop. That’s just my opinion

3ds Max, wow - I am trying to teach myself 3D drawing for architecture but I am struggling a bit. Always thought I would stay with 2D

any let me know what you end up doing

good luck

HDD, yes due to partition logic placements and the physical limitations such as platters, arms/heads (q.v. short-stroking). SSD, no it does not due to the flash being connected to channels from the logic controller and the way the logic of the controller works with the flash is still the same. That is the main limitation of SSD's is the interface and then the controller with the amount of channels and supporting logic of it. Meaning supporting logic is how the controller "translates" the connecting interface, such as AHCI, to the flash interface. The physical flash type TLC, MLC, etc, wear leveling, and the caching mechanism can have an affect, but not usually in the manner worth mentioning at the moment.

Since you are logically changing the size it just extends the logical mapping of the file system and access the flash accordingly, in the proper boundaries. It was there all the while, but does not have the limitations of the physical attributes of the partition and physical characteristics of the HDD. Meaning the data on the platter closer or further away and the physical access of it.

The main issue of SSD's is cloning them, and having the support to properly clone in software and with docks due to the possible SSD controller's logics being different, and the mapping to the flash. In other words, you cannot bit-to-bit like you can with HDD. With an SSD you need to treat it as like a physical install of drive, activate/partition, THEN copy the bits over, and set as boot (if it to be boot from). A easier way to mean what I say is that, the interface is a standard but how the flash is communicated with and is handled is not necessarily a standard. This is the FTL-Flash Translation Layer (Flash Translation Layer - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics). So, if the copy was not proper with the translation you will have "malalignment."

I always read about the controller, make sure it has integrated DRAM for cache (I am not talking about the possible NAND cache set aside) and then make that purchase. This could be one reason as to note a difference in performance. Writes vary with controllers, DRAM or DRAM-less, and NAND cache. Reads should always be basically fast, but based off of channels as in how fast (q.v. USB flash drives). Writes.....that is a weakness of all flash, and technically you want to read more from an SSD than write to it. This is a good read if you have the time and want to learn a bit. I don't think it goes to far over the head: Coding for SSDs – Part 3: Pages, Blocks, and the Flash Translation Layer | Code Capsule.

Perhaps, you may want to look into having a Windows 7 VM? Be able to upgrade to modern HW and SW eco-system, and still keep legacy applications. Your mileage will vary. You do have possible modern options. BTW, in the digital know we call this, and your issue(s) "nesting."

Edit: With a VM, which is actually free via software or integration within the modern OS, you have the ability to also keep the image of the install!! Easy to back up and easy to copy into the VM managers to operate. This would be a better way to keep the nest, if the favor of the digital god's are with you......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back