Does a GPU fan header to 3-pin fan connector exist?

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
So video cards seem to have their own little micro fan header that connects their fans to them to power and regulate their speed.
Does an adapter cable exist in order to adapt this fan header over to the type that a regular 3-pin case fan uses?

For future reference, the connector type used on many video cards is called Mini or Micro JST. Common pin pitches are 1.25 or 2mm, but others exist as well. The common fan header is a Molex KK series with 3 or 4 pins.

You can find connector kits on Ebay for both types all day long, the hard part is knowing what they're called.

Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
is your gpu 3 pin or 4? because that linked adapter is only 3 pin, most new gpus are 4 pin and if you try to adapt a 3 pin fan youll only get full speed.

is your gpu 3 pin or 4? because that linked adapter is only 3 pin, most new gpus are 4 pin and if you try to adapt a 3 pin fan youll only get full speed.

3 pin fans can be speed controlled via voltage ramping. Most motherboards from the past 15 years support voltage ramping, if not a fan controller or in-line buck regulator can be used.

My GPU has a 3-pin fan header. It's the HD7750 card in my sig. I've never seen a 4-pin fan header on a GPU and I maybe never will because newer video cards are too expensive for me to be able to afford to buy one.

3 pin fans can be speed controlled via voltage ramping. Most motherboards from the past 15 years support voltage ramping, if not a fan controller or in-line buck regulator can be used.
yeah, on a mobo. can you do that through the gpu though? cause that what the adapter is for...

My GPU has a 3-pin fan header. It's the HD7750 card in my sig. I've never seen a 4-pin fan header on a GPU and I maybe never will because newer video cards are too expensive for me to be able to afford to buy one.
ok, just checkin. that is what you need then. im not sure exactly when the 4 pins cam in but my 280x has one.

yeah, on a mobo. can you do that through the gpu though? cause that what the adapter is for...

It depends on the video card. Some cards do voltage ramping on three pin fan connectors, some don't.

My GPU has a 3-pin fan header. It's the HD7750 card in my sig. I've never seen a 4-pin fan header on a GPU

There are 4, 5 and 6 pin headers for fans on video cards with more than one fan on them.

ZodeEX said:
I maybe never will because newer video cards are too expensive for me to be able to afford to buy one.

If you want more performance and don't want to pay eye watering scalp prices, why not just go with an older card? You can get a HD 5870 for under $100, and it's like 150% faster than an HD 7750. An R9 270x is another option, 250% faster for around $150.

Back