does a core 2 duo and ddr2 ram decrease preformance?

idk what to say

Weaksauce
so i want to start real cheap and i already have a core 2 duo and a mobo and was thinking of buying a 1060 for now, does a core 2 duo make preformance that bad or is it ok?

Pretty bad. Can you swing $100 and are you in the us? There are some dirt cheap motherboard and CPU combos avalible.

How much is that 1060?

so i want to start real cheap and i already have a core 2 duo and a mobo and was thinking of buying a 1060 for now, does a core 2 duo make preformance that bad or is it ok?

Depends on the software you're running.

What motherboard and which Core 2 Duo? If you can get your hands on a Core 2 Quad and 8GB of memory it'll be ok-ish but a 1060 is still a lot of card for a platform that old. Playing any remotely recent game on a dual core CPU is going to be a stutterfest and many (most?) games from the past 5 or so years will flat out refuse to run with less than 4 threads.

im so sorry i forgot to say i was planing to mostly mine with it and perhaps game lol, i live in canada and found a 1060 for 300 cad so yea what do yall think? and btw that card was siting around for a month no gamer wants 1060s their bad for their price in a gaming aspect

im so sorry i forgot to say i was planing to mostly mine with it and perhaps game lol, i live in canada and found a 1060 for 300 cad so yea what do yall think? and btw that card was siting around for a month no gamer wants 1060s their bad for their price in a gaming aspect

I'm a gamer and I'd love a 1060S. I bet it's much faster than my HD7750.

oops i put a s at the end by mistake lol anyways ya im a gamer too but for gaming paying 300$ isnt realy worth it tbh id just wait until prices go down

No point in getting a Core 2 Duo when used Pentium G3258's go for $10 on flea bay. I've had one doing 4.5GHz for 6 years in an ASUS H81M-E (which cost $50 when it was new). It's great for older games that only hammer 1 core.
He already has one. That's still cheaper.

Anyways, honestly, if all you're doing is playing some indie games and older titles a C2D is good enough still. That being said, the 1060 will absolutely be held back.

Core 2 anything running Windows 10 will be painful due to all of the CPU vulnerability mitigations. I'd only recommend it if you had no other choice. You can get complete i7-4770 machines on Ebay for less than $250.

You're looking at a 50-90% performance loss with all of the vulnerability patches, and they can't be turned off.

Core 2 anything running Windows 10 will be painful due to all of the CPU vulnerability mitigations. I'd only recommend it if you had no other choice. You can get complete i7-4770 machines on Ebay for less than $250.

You're looking at a 50-90% performance loss with all of the vulnerability patches, and they can't be turned off.
Its funny you folks lave mentioned nothing but Haswell in this thread -I boufgt an overclockable Pentium, combo from Microceter, and upgraded it years later to a closeout 4790k!

Still have that Pentium somewhere around?

GTX 1060 paired with a C2D is just silly. I have a GTX 670 with my E8500 and even it's a fairly absurd pairing of technology.

Some games, not even modern ones, won't even run on a C2D. Thief 2014 wouldn't run on my E8500. Had something to do with the cpu lacking certain instructions the engine needed.

It's a ~2008 era cpu. Expect modern games to run poorly, with stuttering, or not run at all.

One thing a 1060 has got going for it, albeit through brute force, is Nvidia driver support. Anything older than the 600 series isn't supported in the latest drivers. Not much of a saving grace though.

Core 2 anything running Windows 10 will be painful due to all of the CPU vulnerability mitigations...

Meh, just run Windows 7 and avoid all the forced mitigations. If you're running hardware that old, standards are already lowered anyway. There aren't too many DX12 titles out there that don't have a fallback render path.

Nothing before Sandy Bridge got patched anyway.

GTX 1060 paired with a C2D is just silly. I have a GTX 670 with my E8500 and even it's a fairly absurd pairing of technology.
I ran a 750ti in a single core Athlon 64 once. Now that was absurd! Even worse, the power supply in that machine was sagging down to 11.2v on the 12V rail when the GPU was active. Fun times.

Which Pentium? I literally have drawers full of Intel CPUs.
defaultuser refers to the Pentium G3258. It was the only Haswell-generation Pentium that was unlocked (and thus overclockable).

Get anything newer. I'd recommend at least Ivy Bridge or newer at this point. Minimum quad core. Or else that 1060 is going to be severely bottlenecked.

Get anything newer. I'd recommend at least Ivy Bridge or newer at this point. Minimum quad core. Or else that 1060 is going to be severely bottlenecked.

Yeah, I'm running an ivy bridge i5, and he will be potentially CPU-limited in newer titles like Horizon: Zero Dawn (can''t break 60 fps, even at 720p low on my current GTX 960)

Aside from the OS patches - basically Meltdown-only - nothing older than Sandy Bridge was given the CPU mitigations by Intel.
So running with a Core 2 anything is flying blind without security at the hardware level.

As long as the system isn't connected to the Internet, or only temporarily, it should be ok, although a CPU that old and weak is going to severely hold that GTX 1060 back by probably 50-70% or more.

You can surely get something free thats better. I just today pulled a z68/2500k combo out of my local recycling center collection bin. Post a wanted ad in a few places looking for a donated CPU/Mobo. You'd be suprised what people just don't want.

If you were in the US I'd send you the 2500k and z68 myself. But international shipping makes that not really feasible.

I painted a best-case-scenario for OP, given the constraints. You wanna throw in a worse-case-scenario, go right ahead.

My point, in case you missed it, still holds. Paired with a GTX 1060, any C2D is equally inadequate and will suffer from the same issues.

As others have said, buy a used PC with a graphics card and better processor, instead of just a 1060.

Core 2 duo is dead and in the coffin, you can’t resurrect it

Can you even run a 1060 on something that old? You're limited to PCI-E 2.0 (at best!), which immediately cuts your bandwidth by 75%. Your effectively running that 1060 at PCI-E 4.0 x4.

I alwayys read the thread and part of the reason why i responded was all the replies were about gaming
part of the confusion is hes asking about c2d and a video card for mining/gaming in the motherboard section....
edit: and dd2 ram...

Back