Do you even want to buy a CPU right now?

wandplus

Limp Gawd
They seem to be either too expensive or out-of-stock. (Just saying. I'm not complaining because in the last few months I got a Rocket Lake and a Comet Lake at OK prices.)

No, I am waiting for x699, even if it's a year+ until it comes out. I've always used HEDT and don't want heterogeneous cores, integrated graphics, or $1000 cpus that have pins.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
I wouldn't with the new CPU's just on the horizon.

Got a 5800x to replace a 7700k at launch @ msrp.

No plans to upgrade... for a very long time.

Damn you're so lucky. I'd do anything for a 7700k and motherboard. And I do mean anything. 😭

So, if I were someone who absolutely had to buy an intel CPU today at microcenter, which one should I get?

My choices are:
- 10850K $379
- 11700K $299
- 11900K $449

My 5800X is slowly failing for reasons unknown and is now only stable at base clocks. I would just replace it, but I'm also trying to solve a problem with a game that I believe to be related to some audio problems that Ryzen boards have that are well documented. I tested this with my old 3700X and a B550 board and the problem was the same. Basically, I'd like to get a semi-comparable intel CPU and see if it works. I haven't followed intel since the first gen Ryzen came out but my understanding is rocket lake is mostly useless, and I should probably get the 10850k.

So, if I were someone who absolutely had to buy an intel CPU today at microcenter, which one should I get?

My choices are:
- 10850K $379
- 11700K $299
- 11900K $449

My 5800X is slowly failing for reasons unknown and is now only stable at base clocks. I would just replace it, but I'm also trying to solve a problem with a game that I believe to be related to some audio problems that Ryzen boards have that are well documented. I tested this with my old 3700X and a B550 board and the problem was the same. Basically, I'd like to get a semi-comparable intel CPU and see if it works. I haven't followed intel since the first gen Ryzen came out but my understanding is rocket lake is mostly useless, and I should probably get the 10850k.

The 10850K is good (basically a lower binned 10900K), and really at that price I think the 11700K is a decent option -- just know it is going to be a big power hog and run quite hot at high performance settings. The 11900K is the only one that I think is just a horrible value, it's $150 more than the 11700K for no real benefit...slightly higher clocks but same core count.

I saw a benchmark on Techpowerup that showed the 5800 and 5600 around 13% and 9% above the 11400 in performance in video games. But they use more electricity plus they're more expensive.

My choices are:
- 10850K $379
- 11700K $299
- 11900K $449

I would just RMA the board instead of swapping out the entire system for Intel. People are so quick to dump AMD when they have the slightest issue. I don't know what audio problem you speak of that is well documented.

Given how the chip design is going to be changing soon, I'm going to wait for my next build for sure. I really just finished my build 100% earlier this year anyway so no point yet.

Last edited:
I'm buying something soon, probably Ryzen. I am 10 years behind and have been using a Chromebook for the past year or so. lol

I have some slight hesitations about the new CPUs coming out, the fact that DDR5 RAM will run hotter and the CPUs might use more amps. Maybe I'm too picky but anyway...

Bought July 2020 pretty much. I'm waiting to see what Zen3 Threadripper has to determine if that's worth an upgrade from my 3960X, or if I'll keep holding out. Gaming system is 10700k, and linux box is 10980 - I'm good around the clock.

Definitely interested in the VCache 16 core Ryzen that's coming out "soon"(tm). I've somehow managed to create a workload where my 3900X regularly uses all 24 threads under load and i'm actually limited by CPU, so I want to upgrade to the absolute fastest that my AM4 build can support before I go all in on am AM5 build a couple years down the line when DDR5 and PCI-E 5 are both available.
If there is no VCache Ryzen for AM4, then I'll likely be upgrading to a 5950X whenever they hit the secondhand market for cheaper.

I did Ryzen launch and that was a clusterfuck, so I don't really want to be there for immediate AM5 launch.

Current X99 rig was bought May 2016 with a 5820K, upgraded last year for £100 to a 5960X. At start of lockdown I reduced the OC on it from 4.3GHz to 3.5GHz cos at that point I felt any way I could save money would help.

Anyway a sizeable inheritance two months into lockdown and my Govt not being completely homicidal to it's citizens, meant I didn't have to worry in the end. However, I haven't bothered to put the OC back. Haven't missed it.

I shall buy a new system next Summer maybe, Xmas at the latest. I'll probably go Intel again. I was AMD from like 1998 to 2016 but back in 2016 they had nothing. To be honest I've enjoyed going with Intel for a change.

I havent wanted to buy a new CPU since sandy bridge. Theyre all the same at this point.

Had one of those for a while. Still limited in comparison to single socket 299 or Threadripper, and we’re starting to hit things that don’t run without features they’re missing.

Yes, you are correct. LGA1366 tops out at 12C/24T @ 3.46ghz, "limited" to DDR3, no NVMe (natively) etc..

I do have a 1950X build that I use for a gaming server, that use case definitely benefits from the much faster single core speed of even a stock clocked 1950X, then when you consider that TR can be overclocked, the gap widens even further. Though my main rig is still running a 3770K, which feels smoother than the 3900X and 5800X ive been able to use (GTA V has no stutters on my 3770K, but randomly hiccups on modern AMD CPUs). My primary server runs dual X5680's, DDR3 is too cheap, and DDR4 is too expensive for me to switch over my non-production services. Hopefully when my dual 2011 saga finally comes to an end, ill be able to bring the per core performance of my server more in line with current processors.

HAHAHA! Mediocre products. The i5-10400 and i5-11500 I bought can both beat the 3600 at a lower cost and have on-board video.

Do I want to replace my 4790k yet... Not really, but my mainboard has had alot of boot problems as of late. So if it dies I would rather upgrade and find another z87/z97 board down the road and make a WinXP and Linux test bed on this chip.

Would like to hold out and see what Alder/Raptor/Meteor-lake bring, I feel like this could be another netburst moment for intel :eek:

I have a 4 core/ 8 Hyperthreaded I3-1230 v3 16gb of ram 1 TB, and have 0 reason to upgrade. Plenty fast enough for what I need it to do...

I upgraded a few weeks ago to a 5800x from a 3600. While I see a small gain in a handful of games that are CPU intensive, the heat and power output of my system has gone up significantly.

Apparently, the 5800x is designed on a single chiplet (unlike the 5950) and the voltage is aggressive to hit the boost temps. It is one of the hottest chips at stock I've ever used, probably only second only to Prescott. It benefits from undervolting to put it mildly.

Technically it's more performant, but end of the day, I probably should have stuck with the 3600.

Well, the reason is simple, obvious and at best, the best choice is to just replace it, since that "slightest issues" are not a concern when you build an Intel system, it's quite reliably boring actually, but then again, some "thrill" seekers love to buy and support mediocre products. I don't.

I like how snarky you guys are about this. I've built probably 50 Ryzen systems since those chips came out and haven't looked at intel a single time. The ONLY reason I was trying it this time is known issue with Ryzen boards that support PCIE 4.0 having audio issues - even the big box manufacturers have run into this with prebuilt systems, it is not a secret. B550 seems to be relatively better than X570 but not perfect. 99% of the time it causes no problem, but the game I'm playing now really has a tough time with it resulting in blue screens, audio dropouts, black screens, and full freezes.

It got better by disabling onboard audio and using a sound card plus forcing the board to run in PCIE 3.0 mode, but the problem still persisted 1-2 times a day instead of every 10 minutes. I tested two different 5800X and boards this week, my own and another for a rig I was building for a friend coming from an FX 8350 system. Same problem. Lo and behold, I picked up a third B550 board yesterday along with a cheaper Gigabyte Z590 UD and 11700K since it was the cheapest decent chip they had, and the problem is solved with the Intel machine while with the new B550 board it remains the same. When the new Ryzen 6000 series comes out I will try that. Why I need to get hate for trying to solve a problem so I can play my damn game is beyond me, its like I betrayed my country or something.

I upgraded a few weeks ago to a 5800x from a 3600. While I see a small gain in a handful of games that are CPU intensive, the heat and power output of my system has gone up significantly.

Apparently, the 5800x is designed on a single chiplet (unlike the 5950) and the voltage is aggressive to hit the boost temps. It is one of the hottest chips at stock I've ever used, probably only second only to Prescott. It benefits from undervolting to put it mildly.

Technically it's more performant, but end of the day, I probably should have stuck with the 3600.

Run a negative offset on the voltage. Most of the 5000 series chips I've used can handle a -50mv offset with no issues and it drops temps drastically. Even a -25mv will drop your heat a bunch.

The 7700k is worse than the 5800x at temps when both are at stock boosts, but yeah the 5800x runs fairly hot.

My choices are:
- 10850K $379
- 11700K $299
- 11900K $449

Out of those I would get the 11700k or the 10850k, depending on if you are price sensitive or not. The 11900k is horrible value in that scenario IMO and not even sure if it will be any faster than the 10850k.

Are the base clocks the 3.8ghz or stock PB for the 5800x? The 5800x is a fairly hot running CPU, for AMD, so OCing it much above stock PB is not a good idea unless you have high end cooling and undervolting. E.g. just setting PBO to on and leaving it there will most likely cause it to throttle due to heat unless on a custom loop or on one of the best AIOs with fans turned way up and even then I would expect you to get close to thermal throttling in high thread load.

Out of those I would get the 11700k or the 10850k, depending on if you are price sensitive or not. The 11900k is horrible value in that scenario IMO and not even sure if it will be any faster than the 10850k.

Are the base clocks the 3.8ghz or stock PB for the 5800x? The 5800x is a fairly hot running CPU, for AMD, so OCing it much above stock PB is not a good idea unless you have high end cooling and undervolting. E.g. just setting PBO to on and leaving it there will most likely cause it to throttle due to heat unless on a custom loop or on one of the best AIOs with fans turned way up and even then I would expect you to get close to thermal throttling in high thread load.

I picked up the 11700K and a Gigabyte Z590 UD, basically the lowest priced combo they had. Its working fine, and since I play at 3440x1440 the CPU being slower than my 5800X doesn't really matter. I have not OC'd a CPU since Ryzen came out, the few % difference is not worth the hassle IMO. My particular 5800X is only stable with all boost clocks turned off, which I think is 3800mhz? It seems to have been degenerating for a while, I bought it on launch day and its slowly been getting worse. My board is an Asus X570 TUF, but even moving to the MSI B550 MAG torpedo (stupid name) I picked up yesterday to test it still can't boost or it becomes unstable. I'm going to RMA that chip for now since I have a working system.

Something has to be wrong with that CPU, my launch 1700 on a basically beta (also launch) X370 hits clocks higher than 3.8ghz. It's been 3+ years with zero degeneration. Actually, thanks to bios improvements, it's gotten faster and much more stable.
My 3900X in an x570 hits 4.8 on air and it rarely goes over 80c.

fuck no.

the i5 10400 is $182 msrp, and it's selling for above msrp.

I'm waiting for the 12400. It better be affordable.

microcenter has the same price for both the K and non K

why even.

Capture.JPG

My choices are:
- 10850K $379
- 11700K $299
- 11900K $449

Get a 10700K, mine runs all core at 5.1GHz with AVX offset -1 (-100MHz).

Run a negative offset on the voltage. Most of the 5000 series chips I've used can handle a -50mv offset with no issues and it drops temps drastically. Even a -25mv will drop your heat a bunch.
Running even a -30mv offset does very little to reduce my temps. The only thing that works is to reduce peak vcore. Currently, I'm running stable at 4.6ghz with a 1.275v peak, 43c idle/77c load. Cinebench scores in the mid 15000 so I know it's performing.

It's a strange chip. At stock, it's a complete barn burner; undervolted it's a champion. If I were to guess, I'd say it's a golden sample with bad soldering.

Get a 10700K, mine runs all core at 5.1GHz with AVX offset -1 (-100MHz).

They didn't have any, the only choices when I got there was 11900k, 11700k, and 10850k. The 11700k was cheapest at $299 so I got that one. There isn't much difference anyways as long as it can play games. Truth be told I was really, really tempted to grab a 5950X because they had some in stock.

Running even a -30mv offset does very little to reduce my temps. The only thing that works is to reduce peak vcore. Currently, I'm running stable at 4.6ghz with a 1.275v peak, 43c idle/77c load. Cinebench scores in the mid 15000 so I know it's performing.

It's a strange chip. At stock, it's a complete barn burner; undervolted it's a champion. If I were to guess, I'd say it's a golden sample with bad soldering.

lol, my chip is the total opposite, even at 1.45v auto vcore its still unstable, forget undervolting it won't even POST. Going to set up an RMA for it today.

lol, my chip is the total opposite, even at 1.45v auto vcore its still unstable, forget undervolting it won't even POST. Going to set up an RMA for it today.
Definitely sounds like you have a bad cpu. If my 5800x didn't undervolt so well, and/or there was any instability at stock clocks, it would be RMA'd. As it is, I'm happy with its very low power draw and slight OC.

There were a lot of CPU's I'd think of buying, but with Windows 11 on the horizon, the ones that are compatible with it and at a reasonable price are out of stock.

So, I'll simply wait.

Honestly not excited about any cpu released after 9900k, don't see anything on the horizon I want either, kinda glad I have zero upgrade/sidegrade bug for once lol

Back