Do SSD / M.2 boosters really work ?

It's just a bunch of options that any modern supported Windows is doing anyways. This type of stuff was of value back when Windows wasn't doing TRIM, but these days it's completely useless.

what they said. everything is built in and already on or can be turned on without it.
1643138134521.png

Yeah, those tools are an artifact of the days when SSD controllers were more like a simple bridge to make SATA controllers think that a bunch of NAND modules in a trenchcoat were actually an IDE or AHCI HDD. Even then, most OSes became SSD-aware by the mid 2010s so even if the Southbridge still thinks it was writing to a HDD, the OS knows it is actually NAND and can to an extent treat it accordingly. And with the transition to NVMe, the "cleaning-up-after-AHCI-writes" part of SSD optimization became irrelevant anyways.

Modern SSD controllers (for most of the past decade afaik) have really powerful multicore processors with sophisticated firmware that operate basically independently of the host OS and shuffle data around on the NAND in the background for read optimization, garbage (deleted/redundant) data cleanup, and finding & dealing with bad NAND sectors. They just... work!

Yup, no longer guessing what is the best kernel I/O scheduler, I have set it to "none" in all my computers for SSD and NVMe drives. Although some say BFQ scheduler in low latency mode is best for database servers. I don't think the difference is considerable, though.

Back