Do I need to upgrade?

narsbars

2[H]4U
Current, 3800X, 570 MB, 1080TI FE, 1K pwr supply. I do not OC outside of "legal" OC. I just got a LHR 3070 at MSRP from EVGA. Should I upgrade to a better CPU and how high would I have to upgrade to actually make any difference in gaming?

First i'd look at some performance reviews of the games you play and look at the differences. If you're comfortable with the differences you shouldn't upgrade, if however you fell like you're missing out and have the cash, go ahead.
You can use this as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlngwUuDYoc&t=787s&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed

In terms of upgrading, having the x570 helps you with a path to a 5600X and upwards, depending on your budget.

If you did you would get marginal gains. Maybe wait for the amd refresh and see then.
Thanks. Any idea when the refresh is due? I am thinking that if it affects used pricing I might be able to grab a 5950X. I have to think that way due to budget.

Thanks. Any idea when the refresh is due? I am thinking that if it affects used pricing I might be able to grab a 5950X. I have to think that way due to budget.
I think we will get more details really soon, maybe today even.

Current, 3800X, 570 MB, 1080TI FE, 1K pwr supply. I do not OC outside of "legal" OC. I just got a LHR 3070 at MSRP from EVGA. Should I upgrade to a better CPU and how high would I have to upgrade to actually make any difference in gaming?
Personally, I'd wait for the performance figures to be made available for the 3D Stacked ram versions of the 5000 series before making a decision. IF the claims of ~15% - 20% increase pan out, it may be worth the upgrade...but I wouldn't pull the trigger before then...(just my .02)

Personally, I'd wait for the performance figures to be made available for the 3D Stacked ram versions of the 5000 series before making a decision. IF the claims of ~15% - 20% increase pan out, it may be worth the upgrade...but I wouldn't pull the trigger before then...(just my .02)
I still find the 3800X to be a fine performer but like a lot of us here I am always looking for another jump, which is why I took the 3070 to replace my 1080TI. I know I can't afford a top of the line refreshed chip but I am hoping that maybe a used 5900 series chip would let me feel the difference and still be in reach..

What resolution? 5600x is your best bet either way if it’s just gaming. 5900/5950 for workflow if you have the need.

CPU and GPU performance are two independent things; the CPU doesn't "run" the GPU and you don't need a faster CPU just because you have a faster GPU. The faster GPU changes the CPU/GPU balance and you might, or might not, run into a CPU limitation. It all depends on resolution, graphics settings, game/game engine, and even monitor (in the sense that there's no point in generating frames much faster than the monitor can actually display).

3800X to 5800X is roughly a 15% jump. You might possibly notice at lower resolutions where you're more likely to be CPU limited. I'd say don't do it, unless you can prove that you're still heavily CPU limited after the GPU upgrade, or unless you have cash to burn.

I still find the 3800X to be a fine performer but like a lot of us here I am always looking for another jump, which is why I took the 3070 to replace my 1080TI. I know I can't afford a top of the line refreshed chip but I am hoping that maybe a used 5900 series chip would let me feel the difference and still be in reach..
If I remember correctly from your thread over in vid cards you're running a 60Hz 4k screen. I don't think I'd bother upgrading your CPU for gaming unless you get a high refresh screen first. That'll change eventually, but it could easily take a few years. For other stuff, IMHO 3800X->5800X isn't enough of a jump. I'd be looking for a 5900X or 5950X if I had your mainboard or waiting for news on the 3D cache versions.

I been useing my 3070 with the 3700x and it plays smooth (PCI Express 3) for all my games so your not much more on the cpu side , I try to play World of Tanks (11 years beta) and it give me 165fps at 165hz in 1080p and I really don't need the extar yet but it's nice to know it's there when prices come down some as the 5800x3d may be the way to go.

Back