Do I need power supply for this USB hub?

Vince_M

n00b
Planning to buy this USB 2.0 hub but it seems that it doesn't come with power supply. Will one USB cable be enough to power it like it is showed on pictures?

usbhub.PNG
usbhubpowersupply.PNG

As long as you're not attaching devices that don't require too much power, and as long as the USB port it's connected to behaves well, it'll be ok. Officially a single USB port on a motherboard is only supposed to allow 500mA for USB 2.0 or 900mA for 3.0 but modern motherboards will usually go up to 1-2A before complaining or cutting out.

As long as you're not attaching devices that don't require too much power, and as long as the USB port it's connected to behaves well, it'll be ok. Officially a single USB port on a motherboard is only supposed to allow 500mA for USB 2.0 or 900mA for 3.0 but modern motherboards will usually go up to 1-2A before complaining or cutting out.
I will use that USB hub for bluetooth, 2 wireless gamepads and wireless headphones adapters. That shouldn't use too much power.

USB 3.0 hub is a little more expensive, it works on same system like this one. That would be a safer and future proof option.

Last edited:
I will use that USB hub for bluetooth, 2 wireless gamepads and wireless headphones adapters. That shouldn't use too much power.

USB 3.0 hub is a little more expensive, it works on same system like this one. That would be a safer and future proof option.
Go with the usb 3 hub. Thank us later. There is no reason to buy anything 2.0 anymore. And if you plug a 3.0 device into a 2.0 hub, windows will complain and have a pop up saying the device can run faster in a different port.

Go with the usb 3 hub. Thank us later. There is no reason to buy anything 2.0 anymore. And if you plug a 3.0 device into a 2.0 hub, windows will complain and have a pop up saying the device can run faster in a different port.
I will :) I am looking this on aliexpress and now I see that all this cheaper hubs has fixed cable lenght around 20-50cm. I will need to go with some brand expensive ones, they have higher price but cable is around 100cm.

Why some of them have charging message warning?

charging.PNG

Back