Do I hold on to my old 1070ti or sell it?

Jabroni31169

My Future Son-in-Law
Now that im running the 3080ti, what do I do with my old 1070ti? Are they selling for decent numbers? Ebay has them up used for like $495 which seems crazy since I bought it for $499 brand new. Its an Asus ROG strix 1070ti. I dont have another computer to put it in, I'd need everything but a PS and a video card and I kinda need to pay off the 3080 before I build a new system that I dont really have a need for anyways. Talk me into keeping it or tell me to sell it for monies...

If you haven't paid for your 3080 yet, makes sense to sell it I'd say.

My rule is if the current cash you get for the card (in your pocket, not selling price), exceeds 6 months' mining revenue then it is time to sell the card. Obviously does not apply to your primary gaming card :)

Last edited:
I say sell and pay off debt unless you really can't stand being stuck playing older games, just not gaming, or being stuck on a console if you have one for a month or two. It's not hard to get some sort of vid card. GT 1030s are easy to get if you just need to make a machine run in a hurry and don't have integrated video, and they can handle older games. Plenty of old cards that will make a machine work are around too. If I were stuck using one for a bit I'd probably play through one or more of KOTOR 1 & 2, Portal 1 & 2 and VTM: Bloodlines along with some Civilization 5 or maybe 6. Maybe some Half-Life 2 if I got into one of those rare moods where I feel like playing an FPS.

I don't know how long you've had that 3080Ti, but I might hang on to the 1070Ti for a month or two after installing the 3080Ti. I figure vid card prices will probably stay high for a while longer. In terms of failures per day, the highest failure rate is when a part is new. I have no idea what the timespan is for a vid card, but the normal pattern is day 0 (DOA) is the highest failure rate, then the rate drops quickly but is still higher than a "broken in" part for a little while, and later starts rising again.

Sell it. Very opportunities in life to sell high that are so obvious.

UPDATE: sold the card for a non scalper price that felt pretty good to me as well. I used the card for almost three years and sold it for $120 less than I paid for it.

Back