Win 10 (fresh install 24 hours)
4090 Founder
64gb Ram 5200mhz
Z690 Hero MB
updated bios about 7 weeks ago
1000 watt power supply

Problem:
Playing CP 2077 random crash computer Shut down and video card fans go 100%
Video encoding with handbrake go to sleep and then a few hours or min later i hear the system shut down and video card fans 100%
Watching You tube videos system shut down and video card fans go 100%
Just started a render and took a screen shot and the system crash 3 seconds after the screen shot and i use msi to power limit it to 70% all the time

Maybe virus.

Reformat
Same problem with new updated drivers on very thing. I went offshore for 7 weeks so i have not been using it much since bio update. I work offshore.
Do any of these settings look out of place. Anything i can change to under volt?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    907 KB · Views: 0
looks normal to me
maybe try bumping the ram voltage a bit or turn off that asus enhancement thing.

I think it is the video card. I started up topaz AI downsized it to run in the back ground and maybe 120 seconds later crash

It is the falcon Northwest system. All hardware is less then 6 months old. Why would I DDU when a install of the whole system is less then 24 hours old with all new drivers? On that note Topaz is working now so i don't know what the fuck is going on with the system

What brand and model is the PSU? Is it a newer atx 3.0 compliant unit or does it use an adapter to connect to your GPU?

Your idle temps in bios are 46-47° that seems pretty high, what cooler are you using?

Also if you think it's bios related you could always reflash to the previous one to see if that fixes it.

I think it is the video card. I started up topaz AI downsized it to run in the back ground and maybe 120 seconds later crash
It might not be. Cyberpunk 2077 has a way of taxing GPU's beyond what other games can. I had an issue with my system shutting off only when playing CP2077. Turned out that it was all fine until the card pulled 347w and then the system would shut down. It turned out my 5 year old 1200w Corsair PSU was no longer up to the task. I replaced it and its been fine ever since. I've put hundreds of hours into the game since.
ddu and reinstall drivers. is the psu new too?
It's not 2006 anymore. It's extremely rare to need DDU anymore. Drivers aren't like they were in the days where you had to run DDU or something else to wipe out all traces of them before installing a new version. This is not to say I haven't seen this be necessary in recent years but its what I'd call an edge case at best.
Your idle temps in bios are 46-47° that seems pretty high, what cooler are you using?

Also if you think it's bios related you could always reflash to the previous one to see if that fixes it.
The temperatures are a good place to start. Idle temperatures may be high due to voltages being set too aggressively. I'd turn off the ASUS optimizations in BIOS to see if they drop. Additionally, I think its worth a quick Cinebench R23 multi-thread test while watching a hardware monitor and see where the temps spike to. Check for throttling etc. If the voltages are in line and the temps are high, its probably a case of needing to reapply thermal paste properly or something like that unless the cooler is woefully inadequate but Falcon isn't known for screwing that up.

On the subject of stability, he's running a Z690 motherboard and not a Z790. They do not clock RAM very well. Past about 5600MHz on a lot of modules its problematic. If he's using four DIMMs, even 5200MHz might be a big ask from the board. I'd look into that. Typically, OEM's are shit about setting this stuff up correctly.

Reactions: DPI
like this
are you using something like HWmonitor or HWinfo to monitor cpu/mobo temps?

try running prime95 while monitoring temps and see what happens.

Last edited:
It's not 2006 anymore. It's extremely rare to need DDU anymore. Drivers aren't like they were in the days where you had to run DDU or something else to wipe out all traces of them before installing a new version. This is not to say I haven't seen this be necessary in recent years but its what I'd call an edge case at best.
I agree but I would certainly run a DDU wipe before doing a complete OS reinstall, which sadly OP already did and I still see people recommending even though it does not fix the problem in the vast majority of cases.

I agree but I would certainly run a DDU wipe before doing a complete OS reinstall, which sadly OP already did and I still see people recommending even though it does not fix the problem in the vast majority of cases.
It's always better as a last resort than, say, a full reinstall.

I am going to look into some of these. It crashed again when doing topaz with in 3 mins then i restart and start it back up and the computer works for a few hours then it does it again but THIS time i am so made because i have a Youtube video playing as well. So i am just sitting in my chair all pissed off with the fans on the GPU going full blast but the video is still playing so I guess each time the PC was crashing it was not the PC because the video was still playing but the video card just shut down and goes fucking crazy.

I don't know much about DDU but i thought a reformat would clear everything but you are guys are saying you need to run DDU before a reformat that sounds strange.

I have MSI always power limit 70% as soon as I start the computer. GPU temp is 51 degrees but I might call F NW and just see what they say. The computer power supply is 1000w 2.0 spec but they had a cable mod done to replace what was in the NVidia box and yes it has enough power on the psu plugs. I really have no idea what is going on. It has to be the card if the crash happens and the computer just keeps playing the youtube video. all this time i thought the whole PC was crashing but looks like just the card.

I am going to look into some of these. It crashed again when doing topaz with in 3 mins then i restart and start it back up and the computer works for a few hours then it does it again but THIS time i am so made because i have a Youtube video playing as well. So i am just sitting in my chair all pissed off with the fans on the GPU going full blast but the video is still playing so I guess each time the PC was crashing it was not the PC because the video was still playing but the video card just shut down and goes fucking crazy.

I don't know much about DDU but i thought a reformat would clear everything but you are guys are saying you need to run DDU before a reformat that sounds strange.

I have MSI always power limit 70% as soon as I start the computer. GPU temp is 51 degrees but I might call F NW and just see what they say. The computer power supply is 1000w 2.0 spec but they had a cable mod done to replace what was in the NVidia box and yes it has enough power on the psu plugs. I really have no idea what is going on. It has to be the card if the crash happens and the computer just keeps playing the youtube video. all this time i thought the whole PC was crashing but looks like just the card.
No we're saying you do a DDU run before just throwing it all out the window and doing a complete OS reinstall. This may sound lame but if you want you can try using integrated GPU for a day and see if it still crashes.

You may be running into issues with the PSU or the video card itself.
No. This is not necessary.
Turn that power limit off.

You mean set it to 100% again? which i will do right now. ok back to pull power and link off. It is getting 100% now lets see if i run into any problems when rendering hard on the GPU.

I do because topaz can run the card at like 50% power and not lose speed.

Rendering can get it done with 70% power and one add 1 second. Less heat in the room. I leave the cpu at what ever it stock was. I did upgrade the cpu but I know I put the past on correctly.

In other news full power everything stock topaz crashed my system again with in 60 seconds.

Falcon nw never called me back. Just sent a email bastards

Lol

Last edited:
Just tried again drop the power to 55% in msi after burner and up the fan speed from the 33 it was at to around 50 and it crashed

Fuck this card lol

Just tried again drop the power to 55% in msi after burner and up the fan speed from the 33 it was at to around 50 and it crashed

Fuck this card lol
If the the card already tested running it at 100% and the apps / games still crashed, then why don't you check:
1. Ram installation. If you have 4 dimms, ensure that 2 kits installed on A2 B2
2. Check each modular cables installed to PSU and your mobo / vga slot
3. The mounting / installation of cpu cooler

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
It is the falcon Northwest system. All hardware is less then 6 months old. Why would I DDU when a install of the whole system is less then 24 hours old with all new drivers? On that note Topaz is working now so i don't know what the fuck is going on with the system
Use what you paid for, and call the builder for support. They should offer a replacment eventually if they cannot solve the issue.

I'm not sure why you are trying to gimp a 4090 by neutering its power.
Use less power but lose no performance and less heat in the room. Which makes it so crazy it is crashing at the reduced power.

Use what you paid for, and call the builder for support. They should offer a replacment eventually if they cannot solve the issue.
I did call they just sent a E-mail and never called me back. If I have to I am just going to send it back with out a RMA if they don't call by monday

I did call they just sent a E-mail and never called me back. If I have to I am just going to send it back with out a RMA if they don't call by monday

If you do that, they have 0 liability or obligation to ship it back to you since they never authorized a return. May as well take the computer out back and piss on it for all the good you'll get out of the process.

Use less power but lose no performance and less heat in the room. Which makes it so crazy it is crashing at the reduced power.

What did you get that idea? They have the power limits they do for a reason. I'm certain that of you limit their power to 50% you will lose performance in more demanding games.

I said nothing about games. I said Topaz Video AI and Rendering in Redshift and houdini.

Crap I think i fucked up

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    756.6 KB · Views: 0
Maybe the CPU is over heating but i wonder then why it did crash the one time with just a youtube video playing.

That is on a AIO 280 cooler

I looked around YT and found i need to set the power limit my self to 125 and 253 I am going to try that first and see what happens

Last edited:
fuck all the power limit setting are gray out i can't change them

was able to limit the power to 125 and 240 you just type the number in the gray box

system crashed.

I guess the whole computer is going back at this point

Nasty temp when i did 125 and 253 the cpu pkg just uses 67 watt so i up it to 400 and 450 for the pl1 and pl2 and holy shit take a look at that

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    859.2 KB · Views: 0
Back