DIY Height Adjustable Desk - Gas Springs?

File

Gawd
Due to the expected continuation of working from home during the Covid era, and my desk being glass topped thus unable to mount a monitor arm, I've considered building a desk. We can pretend it will save me money too.

Looking at some offerings from Monoprice, and Amazon seems like a barebones metal height adjustable frame, no tabletop, is in the 200$+ range.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15721

https://www.amazon.com/Fiaze-Electric-Adjustable-Frame-Lifting/dp/B086TWWQXY/

The brainstorming I'm doing involves using gas spring arms, like those typically used to hold up an RV awning or car trunk. Mount them joining a base and top made from wood with allowance for sliding up and down, constraints for moving else where, and lockable height. Probably need some low friction material for interfacing parts between the top and base, and some sort of ratchet or locking pin mechanism. It seems like it will be fun to plan.

Has anyone worked with Gas Springs in concert with furniture building? Chairs, secret lairs, pop-out racing wheel platforms, cockpits apply.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't have experience with what you're looking for, but I think there are a couple Steelcase designs that use a gas spring or cylinder or something for raise/lower. There is one other high end brand that does that as well, but I can't think of the name. You could check those for inspiration. Good luck, it could be a pretty interesting project!

If you decide to just buy something decent, look around at local office furniture stuff for AMQ and Friant. They are lesser known commercial brands, and are pretty good if you don't want to spend Steelcase/right angle money. I have a 30x70" Friant I got new delivered/assembled for $700 and I am quite happy with it so far. Then I spend $250 making a CPU hanger out of 80/20 LOL. There is a ton of garbage out there, and garbage data!

That Monoprice one with the hand ratchet looks pretty cool. Swap the hand crank for a motor and you have a motorized desk.

Back