Display Driver Uninstalled Itself Overnight

Epos7

Gawd
I was using my PC last night with no issues and left it on when I went to bed. When I got up this morning, PC was still on as expected, but I couldn't get any signal from either of my displays. Connected it to my LG OLED and was able to get a 1024x768 signal which allowed me to figure out the display driver was just gone. I clicked on GeForce Experience, which reinstalled itself, then downloaded the most recent driver and installed. Now I'm back to normal, but no idea how that happened.

What version of Windows? Are you using Windows 11 by chance? When was the last time you manually updated your driver?

Sometimes if you are on Windows 11, using drivers that came out before Windows 11 (lower WDDM version), it will try to automatically update your drivers via Windows Update. I'm not sure that's what happened, but it's possible.

What version of Windows? Are you using Windows 11 by chance?
I'm on Windows 10, though I have the Window 11 update downloaded. Haven't installed it yet, but could be related.

Last manual driver update was about a month ago.

I think we've all woken up like that before.

Two articles of clothing absent (pray for shoes), a ringing in the ears, and an inability to play older DX9 titles.

I'd be more weirded out that there was no video signal.
If WUpdate had modified the OS and then "gracefully" rebooted, a generic driver would have provided some basic mode.

How were your main displays connected? HDMI or DP? Did you connect the OLED via the same interface?
Can you check your event log entries from that night?
It'll tell you if the reboot was intended or if the system just shat itself (which would point to a lock-up with some OS files corruption).

Back