Display driver crashes when primary display is turned off for 5+ minutes

t1337duder

Gawd
Having a weird issue, was hoping someone here has an idea (you guys always come through for me). I have an LG CX 77" as a monitor and a Marantz Sr5014 receiver hooked up to my EVGA 3090. I noticed lately that if I turn my LG screen off for more than five minutes, I'm unable to get any HDMI signal to the screen or the receiver. If I'm playing music while the TV is turned off, the computer will lose HDMI signal almost exactly around 5 minutes. I know the PC isn't fully crashed because I can still access files from it's network storage and hear the hard drives and fans running normally.

I searched already and saw a previous post about someone with the same components but their issue was fixed after double checking all of his cables. In my case, I've already disconnected and reconnected the relevant cables. Same result.

Hibernation is turned off and my power saving settings are set to not turn off the display or PC automatically. Also disabled all the PCIE power saving options as well.

Are you on Windows 11? Linus has already made videos about Windows 11 randomly going black screen and becoming unresponsive. Personally if my monitor isn’t on when Windows boots up, the PC just loads into a permanent black screen. If I turn off the monitor for a few minutes, Windows goes black screen and never recovers. So I don’t turn off the screen ever unless I turn off the PC. And this is with the latest nvidia hotfix driver, which was meant to fix constant black screens in Windows 11 lmao, although at least its stopped random black screen of deaths while browsing the web.

windows shift b should reset the display driver, if I'm remembering right. That being said - weird shit happens with HDMI and TVs in my experience. Give the reset a try and see what happens.

Having a weird issue, was hoping someone here has an idea (you guys always come through for me). I have an LG CX 77" as a monitor and a Marantz Sr5014 receiver hooked up to my EVGA 3090. I noticed lately that if I turn my LG screen off for more than five minutes, I'm unable to get any HDMI signal to the screen or the receiver. If I'm playing music while the TV is turned off, the computer will lose HDMI signal almost exactly around 5 minutes. I know the PC isn't fully crashed because I can still access files from it's network storage and hear the hard drives and fans running normally.

I searched already and saw a previous post about someone with the same components but their issue was fixed after double checking all of his cables. In my case, I've already disconnected and reconnected the relevant cables. Same result.

Hibernation is turned off and my power saving settings are set to not turn off the display or PC automatically. Also disabled all the PCIE power saving options as well.
It's probably the TV, not anything wrong with your PC. Find out if your TV has an "HDMI Deep Sleep" setting and turn it off. Depending on the TV it may be hidden in the service menu.

Back