Difficult to find new case micro-ATX close to Silverstone SG10 or SG09

Jandor

Gawd
I would be even okay with smaller (less large) vertical case, there are none to be found. Silverstone doesn't make those 2 any more.
I need 2 of them. I will use a graphics card less large than the major ones for instance the AMD RX 7900XT is of the good size to me or some other RTX 3060 I've seen.
The mainboard will be micro-ATX with a big top flow cooler. I'm astonished there is no case even close to what I'm looking for. Plenty of huge RGB weird cases but no practical case for a micro-ATX board everywhere including on Amazon.

Ya, I was recently looking for a small case recently and couldn't find any.

I had this Silverstone years ago for my HTPC,
htpc-360-1.jpg

I ended up getting a white Corsair 280X since it was on sale for $112 shipped from Amazon, it is still a bit large though.

1672200190743.png

Closest I have been able to find to the SG10 and SG09 layout is going to be from Jonsbo. Most of the cases have the PSU above the CPU slot, so a tower cooler is usually a no go. I wasn't sure what you meant by a "big top flow cooler". Jonsbo has some older models that don't have any tempered glass, but might be harder to source. Here's a Link to their mATX offerings. Something like the D30 has a similar layout as the Silverstones albeit with TG, but if you don't add anything RGB, then it's just black. The V4 has no TG at all, but has the PSU over the CPU slot, so it might limit your cooling options.

I just finished assembling mine and it's a lot smaller than I thought it would be. It's still quite a bit bigger than the old Silverstone I had.

IMG_3440.JPEG

I would be even okay with smaller (less large) vertical case, there are none to be found. Silverstone doesn't make those 2 any more.
I need 2 of them. I will use a graphics card less large than the major ones for instance the AMD RX 7900XT is of the good size to me or some other RTX 3060 I've seen.
The mainboard will be micro-ATX with a big top flow cooler. I'm astonished there is no case even close to what I'm looking for. Plenty of huge RGB weird cases but no practical case for a micro-ATX board everywhere including on Amazon.
Off the top of my head:
Sliger Cerberus is one of the smallest MATX cases. But, very expensive. And, they are moving their company. Orders won't ship until February or something.

SAMA IM01 and IM02 are slightly larger. But, still quite small for MATX. Its low cost, but decent quality. I built a system for some kids and used an IM01. The layout is basically the same as the Cooler Master NR200 ITX case----but the IM01 is a little bigger, for MATX.

Last edited:
Those SAMAs look nice. Essentially a bigger version of the NR200 series.

Here is my Cooler Masterbox NR 400 with a Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10Gb card

Reactions: Nobu
like this
I also have one of these mATX in Red with side window, it has an MSI B350m Gaming Pro (2017) board ,with the Ryzen 5 1600 AF and 32Gb of DDR4 3600Mhz running 3333Mhz. has a Power Color RX 580 8Gb in the top and full size Corsair CX 650m power supply,
the mother board is upside down and so is the video card, I have two 120mm fans down firing at the video card and it has a single tower cooler made by deep cool, very size package, all the outside panels are real Aluminum, I took my window and mounted it from inside case on that same panel, looks way better then outside.

https://www.newegg.com/black-raijintek-styx-series-micro-atx/p/2AM-002C-00015?Item=9SIA66Z38E4512

this is not mine, but they have a twin tower with no issue.

2a707800e34dbf40fcacd0e4f591cb27a69f6403eeaf28fd23.jpg

Last edited:
It's really because that era of case design is over. Companies have moved on. Trends change. PC's that look like audio equipment are basically as dead as the HTPC itself. With smart TV's and things like Firestick's and Roku's, the HTPC barely has any reason to exist beyond people wanting to digitize their own media collection and choose just how much quality they lose from the original media doing it. Your streaming services all offer 4K etc., but the actual quality pales compared to physical media. However, convenience usually wins the day on that. Thus, the HTPC is dead for everyone but the 12 or 13 people that refuse to abandon it.

PC's are a lot different inside with more emphasis on liquid cooling and a whole lot less capacity for 2.5" and 3.5" storage devices. 5 1/4" bays are all but extinct. Aluminum chassis have also gone extinct giving way to the steel and plastic that preceded them. Largely because of cost I suspect, but people like myself fell out of love with aluminum cases years ago for several reasons beyond that.

Finally, mATX is a popular OEM form factor but it's not exactly popular in the DIY arena. The reason being that people going for small form factor will typically opt for mITX instead. If you want extra expansion beyond what mini-ITX offers then you go full ATX or E-ATX. Just look at most motherboard manufacturers. They have little to offer in the mATX realm.

Yes, well : 2 problems. hoorizontal motherboard and no optical drive (I know ... deprecated... but not for me).
Here is my Cooler Masterbox NR 400 with a Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10Gb card

The NR 400 is huge.
Maximum size I would buy is Antex NSK-3100 for my micro-ATX.

I also found the Max-In Power Aero BM1084 with a cheap PSU I will replace. If somebody has some information about it...

I have an SG06, it'd probably be great for a low power modern cpu, dunno if it'd fit the GPU you want though. It fits "full size" GPUs up to two slots or so, but they have to be fairly short. I could just squeeze an HD7770 into it, was super tight. Well, the power supply is a bit dated, but if you replaced it with a new dc-dc + wall wart it would be fine. Probably better off with one of silverstone's more modern designs anyway, though.

Last edited:
I finally bought the Coller Master MasterBox NR200. It's a very compact miniITX and partial mATX compatible. Meaning it support mATX of 22.6 cm size in hight like some Assus boards. However those are limited to 2 slot RAM meaning 64GB ECC maximum RAM which is okay.
The other case I bought is a very standard and complete mATX Fractal Design Core 1000, compact for what it does, with support of 2.5 and 3.5HD and 2 slot external 5.25. However on the latter case it supposedly accepts 2 HD 3.5 which I need for data RAID1 after 2 Nvme MLC RAID 1 system. However my CPU colling system, a Be Quiet Shadow Rock TF2, limits the size of the hard drives to 2.1cm thick to two Seagate 4TB (Seagate is the only brand to build that thin 3.5 drives and limited to 4TB for CMR) and thus with 3mm left from the fan et 40% covered by the hard drives. Not great but I suppose okay. The hard drives will have unexpected cooling :) and the 5800X not overclocked will just fit in the diminished specs of the cooler.
Both choices were cheap.

So I'm happy with what I got.

Last edited:
I finally bought the Coller Master MasterBox NR200. It's a very compact miniITX and partial mATX compatible. Meaning it support mATX of 22.6 cm size in hight like some Assus boards. However those are limited to 2 slot RAM meaning 64GB ECC maximum RAM which is okay.
The other case I bought is a very standard and complete mATX Fractal Design Core 1000, with support of 2.5 and 3.5HD and 2 slot external 5.25. However on the latter case it supposedly accepts 2 HD 3.5 which I need for data RAID1 after 2 Nvme MLC RAID 1 system. However my CPU colling system, a Be Quiet Shadow Rock TF2, limits the size of the hard drives to 2.1cm thick to two Seagate 4TB (Seagate is the only brand to build that thin 3.5 drives and limited to 4TB for CMR) and thus with 3mm left from the fan et 40% covered by the hard drives. Not great but I suppose okay. The hard drives will have unexpected cooling :) and the 5800X not overclocked will be just in the specs of the cooler.

Those aren't "mATX" boards, you're talking about mDTX boards that Asus puts out. I wish I could put a mATX board in a NR200.

Those aren't "mATX" boards, you're talking about mDTX boards that Asus puts out. I wish I could put a mATX board in a NR200.
No. Those are really smaller mATX boards.
Like Asus Prime 320/520m-K. They don't fit in standard DTX cases and they have 3 PCI slots not 2. In fact there was room in the case for such a motherboard with 4 RAM slots and 24 cm length with 22.6 cm height but I couldn't find one. Smaller mATX models with 24cm height and less than 24cm length are much more common.

I can't find the dimensions of those boards. The only thing I can find is that the NR200 specs say 244mm L x 226mm H is the max motherboard size. So a regular "square" mATX board wouldn't fit because it would be 244mm x 244mm, but a smaller 244mm x 205mm would fit. There aren't very many "small" mATX boards unless they are super budget boards though.

Hm. Really thought I posted here before but I guess I didn't. If you are interested, I actually have an old school Silverstone SG01-Evolution (its very similar to the model that Zepher has shown in their HTPC on post 2, though mine is silver). all-aluminum mATX for sale . You may already have what you need now but if anyone wants a "toaster/shoebox" style mATX that can fit an ATX PSU, let me know. I know the difficulty of finding some "old style" PC cases these days sadly and how things have changed.

I can't find the dimensions of those boards. The only thing I can find is that the NR200 specs say 244mm L x 226mm H is the max motherboard size. So a regular "square" mATX board wouldn't fit because it would be 244mm x 244mm, but a smaller 244mm x 205mm would fit. There aren't very many "small" mATX boards unless they are super budget boards though.
You need to go to the PDF manual on the support of the card at Asus (or any other brand) and it gives you the details about the dimensions with the picture. It is as if Cooler Master was targetting those Asus cards.
It gives you also room for a 3 slot graphics card. However it is limited to a SFXL PSU. So as far as I know it's 750W (600W with a SF600 on my side).

Back