Did I just fried my motherboard?

Mad_Mark

n00b
I bought a new charger for my 10 years old laptop where I can choose the voltage. When I connected the respective charger to the laptop I involuntarily changed the voltage from 15V to 24V and my laptop went black. It doesn't start at all, no matter what I try. My question is: is the battery affected or I just fried my motherboard?

I suspect the battery is fine, the cells are probably behind a layer or two of protection. But the laptop motherboard will need professional assistance.

I might just pull the drive, stick it in an external enclosure, and just get a replacement laptop. There is a chance that someone's selling a working motherboard on ebay from another 10-yo trainwreck that derailed in a different way. But the effort would be substantial.

Might've popped a fuse in the (internal) power supply, if it had one,

pull the battery, hitt the power button a few time and let it sit 5min. put it back together and try again. if it still wont power up you popped the fuse and/or the power circuit in the laptop.

I bought a new charger for my 10 years old laptop where I can choose the voltage. When I connected the respective charger to the laptop I involuntarily changed the voltage from 15V to 24V and my laptop went black. It doesn't start at all, no matter what I try. My question is: is the battery affected or I just fried my motherboard?
Last Resort: You probably cooked a capacitor or a resistor near the power socket. You could probably fix this with a soldering iron, a replacement part and some solder. However, it might not be obvious which part got roasted. You might have to guess (or do some electrical probing with a volt meter while attached to power to see where the power flow stops). Depends on how important that device is to you.

Last Resort: You probably cooked a capacitor or a resistor near the power socket. You could probably fix this with a soldering iron, a replacement part and some solder. However, it might not be obvious which part got roasted. You might have to guess (or do some electrical probing with a volt meter while attached to power to see where the power flow stops). Depends on how important that device is to you.
Or, maybe its time for a new, much faster system.

Thank you all for your input. Most likely I will buy a new laptop, as per my understanding there is a high chance that something burnt up in it and I am not even sure if the respective components can be bought anymore.

Or, maybe its time for a new, much faster system.
Maybe, I did just order myself a new 5700u laptop for 570 bucks. But I know what I'm doing and I have a leftover m.2 drive and 16 Gigs of ram at home to toss in it.

Similarly kitted out laptops will cost at least a grand for those that don't have parts laying around to throw in them.

So it all comes down to money and personal choice.

Back