Did DisplayPort cable damaged my GPU?

Hashiriya415

Limp Gawd
I bought this cable on amazon, I tried to plug it into my brand new 3080 ti and it felt very tight, I thought it was just the design of the cable. Pulled it out and saw the damaged pins on the cable and hard to see but without magnifying glass I can't tell if my GPU has any damage, what do you guys and gals think? Can I ask the cable manufacture to replace my card. But here is what I do notice parts of my screen occasionally dims, it will stay dim usually if I don't move the mouse. Sometimes it takes a few seconds after I move the mouse to return to normal. It happens randomly like when using chrome browser or watching a movie, not during gaming I think but I haven't spent much time testing, just don't think I noticed it in gaming. Right during the time I installed the cable there was a NVidia driver update. I was using the card for about a month, bought this cable to connect my second screen. There was no issue like this before the cable and driver update. I will try to delete all the Nvidia drivers, but what do you guys think? I'm also wondering should I have been more careful. I know that the cable must be put on straight and I have done that and very carefully because it is a brand new card. I hooked it very easy and slow especially because I didn't want to leave a single scratch on the back. To me it seems impossible for pins you see in the picture to have been caused by user error plugging. Even if you wanted to try and get the pins to look like in the picture, I think it could only be done so by prying them with a pin or something.
In the attached video, please focus your attention on the steering wheel, and look between 6 and 7 second mark notice how it's dark and then the screen brightens up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089KCZ2B9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

PXL_20211210_065424583.jpg

PXL_20211210_070645682.jpgPXL_20211210_070328979.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't have an educated opinion yet on your particular situation, but does your DP cable come with a lock?

There is no lock. I also forgot to mention that it is causing this display issue on all 4 ports on the card. Even when I unplug this cable and use my other cable on other port.

The plastic is definitely mangled, hard to tell whether the pins are damaged from that angle (in the GPU displayport).

I can't answer to the cable. However, the screen dimming issue you are showing is pretty common when you move the mouse around on a panel with FALD. That's not the cable or GPU's problem. Also, if you had an issue with the cable itself you'd either have no picture, or random image corruption. It wouldn't be dimming.

I bought this cable on amazon.......

Do you accept shopping lessons? (By a European expert)
If you are an AMERICAN, then you best hope getting high quality (Made in Taiwan) reliable made cables this is by shopping from https://www.startech.com/

Get the NEW cable, test it, if something weird appears when using it? this translates to VGA card port connector damage.
If nothing weird appears by the use of your new cable? then replace all other unbranded cables in the room, with identical fresh and high quality ones.

Good luck.

Just a note, a good DP cable should lock. It's part of the standard. If it doesn't lock, i'd question the overall quality.

I spent extra on a VESA certified Club3D DP cable when I got my new monitor. Kinda expensive but it let me use 165hz and 10bit color simultaneously with Freesync over a ~10ft cable reliably so I can't really complain about it.

Just a note, a good DP cable should lock. It's part of the standard. If it doesn't lock, i'd question the overall quality.
Correct thought but not a fact.
Poorly made Chinese cable it might lock but due mechanical / production error in dimensions.
Poorly made Chinese cable, will use gold paint, than gold plating.
Poorly made Chinese cable, will use lowest quality of recycled copper = more hard iron in them than soft copper.
And I will stop here, because quality shielding of high performance video cables, this is another huge topic which the unbranded cables they are not famous about it either.

I've seen damage from people pulling out dp cables not realizing they have a lock, but not quite the same as in the pic.

Good luck getting the seller to pay for your card. From the pics its not clear if it was the cable or the user.

If it is a no name cable from a 3rd party seller, you have learned a very valuable and expensive lesson.

I had a DP cable damage a port on my monitor.
I trod on the cable, it didnt pull the cable taught, simply trod on a cable loose on the floor while it was in use.
The monitor shut off.
That port on the monitor hasnt worked since.
No mechanical issues at all, it must have been poor insulation around the conductors that allowed a short circuit.

This was also an Amazon cable.
fwiw, avoid treading on cables, especially of unknown origin. Avoid cheap cables!

I thought the dp and hdmi cables came with the display like mine did and it has locks , it does 165hz

Nope, especially if there are 2 DPs and you need to use both.

Back