Did.... did AMD just extend the life of my 1080ti by enabling FSR?

Considering the 1080s don't have HDMI 2.1 or support DSC, the upside is pretty limited. The 1080Ti can already do 60Hz at 4K on a lot of titles. Without inputs that support more bandwidth the upside of higher FPS on 4K content seems to be limited.
Consistent 60fps at 4k ultra settings on a 1080Ti... no not really.

Something google showed me first...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-05-03-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-benchmarks-7001

All you have to do is look at the first few games on Eurogamers chart. 1080ti Ultra/4k is pulling 48 FPS in AC odd. 46 FPS in AC unity. 38 FPS in Shadows of the Tomb Raider.

Yes for a lot of 1080 ti owners if AMDs FSR ends up in most games... this should help them push 60fps without a ton of 1% lows that suck.

I do agree with you that 1080 ti isn't going to need all the crazy modes. I would say though any of the newer AAA titles switching to Ultra Quality FSR mode and gaining 10-25 FPS at 4k will for sure be a good thing. At the very least help people skip this current Nvidia gen. lol

Yeah, 1080 Ti 4K60 in new games, not really cutting it.

I used to have a Titan X Pascal, and even then 4K60 max settings across the board was not possible in all games.

But I think with FSR, those extra 10 - 15 fps could get you over the hump to 60 fps.

I doubt it was part of AMDs master plan... but ya all the thousands of 1080 TI owners, many of whom are a bit annoyed with the current gen pricing and stock issues. IF and it is still an IF AMD adds FSR to some of their main jam games. This just for sure helped them skip the 3000 series. I'm sure Nvidia loves that.

No doubt Nvidia has been in contact with all the DLSS using Gem title developers ensuring they stay DLSS only. I mean if Cyberpunk as an example doesn't have FSR added in the next month.... considering they are on console, and have AMDs FFX stuff already coded in; then we know Nvidia backed a cash truck up to CDPRs door.

If Cyberpunk gets FSR, it likely won't be till next year. CDprojektRed does like new stuff, but they got enough shit going on that they probably won't jump right on it.

I'm thinking we won't see wide adoption until it's more usable on console, then I really hope we do.

Funny enough, I think the Switch Pro (or whatever it's gonna be called) is gonna help DLSS out a bunch next year. DLSS for switch, AFR for PS5 and Series X.

But we'll see.

If Cyberpunk gets FSR, it likely won't be till next year. CDprojektRed does like new stuff, but they got enough shit going on that they probably won't jump right on it.

I'm thinking we won't see wide adoption until it's more usable on console, then I really hope we do.

Funny enough, I think the Switch Pro (or whatever it's gonna be called) is gonna help DLSS out a bunch next year. DLSS for switch, AFR for PS5 and Series X.

But we'll see.
I would agree with your take on CDPR having a lot on their plate to add it today... if two things where not already true. 1) FSR is easy to implement... its basically just a shader added after the main elements but before finish such as UI and particle effects ect. 2) CDPR has already added many of AMDs other GPUopen stuffs... making it even easier. My guess would be it would take one CDPR coder a few hours to add support.

The winning hand AMD is holding here is the easy at which this can be implemented. I mean their is a good chance this can be injected with something like Reshade in the future.

I still think if it doesn't show up in Cyberpunk soonish something is fishy. :) lol but hey I could be way off.

Yeah, 1080 Ti 4K60 in new games, not really cutting it.

I used to have a Titan X Pascal, and even then 4K60 max settings across the board was not possible in all games.

But I think with FSR, those extra 10 - 15 fps could get you over the hump to 60 fps.
There are plenty of games on max at 4k where even a 2080 ti cant average 60 fps never mind maintain it. Heck I can make my 2080 ti struggle a bit at only 1440p with all settings cranked in some games.

Not every game needs maxed settings at all times. Hell, most don't.

Like those fucking clouds that suck up 20% of the performance, who cares about that shit.

Not every game needs maxed settings at all times. Hell, most don't.

Like those fucking clouds that suck up 20% of the performance, who cares about that shit.
Of course just pick whatever options you want but I was replying to the 4k 60 fps max part of the comment.

Honestly don't care much for max settings. Usually the devs just put stuff in there that is pushing past the limit (I guess to allow some longevity).

In most cases, you can drop down some key settings to high or medium, and get much more fps with little to no visual difference.

But even then, the 1080 Ti is not getting 4K60 in every game, that is just not true.

Considering the 1080s don't have HDMI 2.1 or support DSC, the upside is pretty limited. The 1080Ti can already do 60Hz at 4K on a lot of titles. Without inputs that support more bandwidth the upside of higher FPS on 4K content seems to be limited.
The 1080 Ti has DisplayPort 1.4, which supports 4K 120 Hz (SDR)/98 Hz (HDR) at full RGB. The only limitation is the Pascal cards don't have the hardware for DSC, so you can't take advantage of that.

Back