Dice: stop complaining about our games whiners!

defiant007

2[H]4U
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=146970

So how will you make Battlefield 2142 better?

Marcus Nilsson: Well, I would say that character persistence and community are key factors. It's not just about getting the game "out there" anymore - it's about how we organise ourselves around the game. We need a quality launch, a quality service, good communication - to make sure that the feedback is listened to, dealt with and communicated. Of course it's very easy to talk about it, but the hard part is to prove it, to prove that we are 100% behind Battlefield in terms of post-release support.

Are you saying you've been a bit crap then?

Marcus Nilsson: No, it's not that we are necessarily very bad, we're not, but there is a very vocal minority on the forums who say 'EA is crap' and 'DICE are lazy', but they're all probably playing the game every day already anyway. We have minor problems, sometimes we have big problems, but minor problems are not what people should write about. Maybe they should write about why they're playing Battlefield every day. But that's human nature, I guess - you have a vocal minority and a silent majority.

Wonder if this sudden bout of arrogance has anything to do with the fact that EA has now fully acquired Dice? (http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/02-10-2006-3739.html)

fight the power homey.

ea's head is so far up there it's all brown and green to them.

Community: hire a fucking QA team and we'll quit bitching!

It's sad, but true. And funny. I see it alot on these forums. I've seen a lot of people like that on the forum. ;o

Well that was a dumbass statement, "The only people who are complaining are still playing the game". I guess they really don't give a shit about the people who are playing the game, all they care about are the profits from selling the game. Luckily for DICE, DC saved BF1942, if that mod never came out the BF series would probably be left for dead. I'm finished with the BF series. BF2 became crap, mostly due to patches, and I have no desire to even play BF2142. No one person doesn't make or break a corporation like EA, but I hope there are enough of myself representing the buying public.

Major_A said:
I'm finished with the BF series. BF2 became crap, mostly due to patches, and I have no desire to even play BF2142. No one person doesn't make or break a corporation like EA, but I hope there are enough of myself representing the buying public.

I'm with ya on that. I won't buy an EA title anymore if I can help it (I'm sure there may be an exception...hmmm...or not..I work too much to make an exception for an EA game).

Maybe they should write about why they're playing Battlefield every day. But that's human nature, I guess - you have a vocal minority and a silent majority.
Maybe we should write about how we went back to a half life 1 mod over battlefield 2 :rolleyes:

You disagree with that statement, which I do even though I played the game a whole lot, let it be reflected with your wallet when 2142 launches.

Don't buy it and show them how you feel about releasing beta games as public consumption titles.

I wont be buying 2142 BF2 is a great game but if I have to go through 3/4 of a round kicking ass only to have the game randomly crash agian or join a server and my mouse only stop working within the game causing me to restart for the game to work at all in a 'new game' based on an old engine Ill shoot my PC.

defiant007 said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=146970

Marcus Nilsson: No, it's not that we are necessarily very bad, we're not, but there is a very vocal minority on the forums who say 'EA is crap' and 'DICE are lazy', but they're all probably playing the game every day already anyway. We have minor problems, sometimes we have big problems, but minor problems are not what people should write about. Maybe they should write about why they're playing Battlefield every day. But that's human nature, I guess - you have a vocal minority and a silent majority.
They don't need to talk about why they are playing it (or not anymore). The talk about the problems with the game, made sure that I did not purchase it and will stay far away from most EA games, if possible.

at the end of your lives, if there is a god, he is going to tell you how many hours of your life you wasted complaining about EA on forums, and then he is going to laugh at you

Wow, they're more arrogant than I thought. It just smacks of the attitude that many people already thought they had.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: yes, there is a vocal minority that comes along with every game released. However, BF2's "vocal minority" was signifcantly larger and out of proportion compared to most others... save for Daikatana, perhaps.

Just because 51% of your customers are satisfied with the job you did doesn't mean you did a good job, and that's what these arrogant twits will never understand.

DICE Moron said:
but they're all probably playing the game every day already anyway.

Au contraire. I gave up on you hackjobs after you had to recall the very first patch that was released, which caused significantly more problems than it fixed.

Yeh, I think they forgot about the silent majority that stopped playing bf2 when it didnt work right but hey they got their money for it so..

Major_A said:
Well that was a dumbass statement, "The only people who are complaining are still playing the game". I guess they really don't give a shit about the people who are playing the game, all they care about are the profits from selling the game. Luckily for DICE, DC saved BF1942, if that mod never came out the BF series would probably be left for dead. I'm finished with the BF series. BF2 became crap, mostly due to patches, and I have no desire to even play BF2142. No one person doesn't make or break a corporation like EA, but I hope there are enough of myself representing the buying public.

do not give up hope and download POE2

finalgt said:
Community: hire a fucking QA team and we'll quit bitching!

I had to lol at that one! huge-ass QFT!! especially when you have one of the biggest publishers in the industry fronting your game. It is that very reason I can't allow myself to buy it one way or another. Profits before customer satisfaction, combined with shoddy-ass programming and it seems like very low next to non-existant QA resulting in a lackluster product= :eek: :mad:

Are you saying you've been a bit crap then?

Wow. With this kind of loaded questioning, I really pity Marcus. Once again, EA/Dice are successful, so they are evil. It's Microsoft all over again. Despite the fact that there is no better alternative, people see the "evil" in the corporation. Instead of constructive criticism, it is exactly as he said, namely, flame baiting and pure insults. I'm glad he has the sense to block out the hateboys and work on fixing what can be fixed. Diablo II has had more than a dozen revisions over the years and still is played by millions and still sells on the store shelves years after its release. The Battlefield series is a hit, and if EA/Dice is despicable, I'd like to see who has come up with a competitive product within the confines of these hateboys' convoluted lines of "ethics".

To clarify my point, here is a definition of a complaint:

"When I get past the first round, my game crashes to my desktop! I can't play at length because of this!"

Now here is what most of the anti-EA people do:

"EA sucks. Dice sucks. They should all be killed. Look at my clever GIF where the letters EA turn into a swastika! I HATE EA! DIE EA! See? EA doesn't care about its customers because they won't respond to us calling them Nazis that should die!"

And you wonder why they ignore you. :rolleyes:

Aelfgeft said:
"

have YOU ever wondered why they ignore the majority that DON'T complain like that??? There is a reason that complaint example #1 turns into complaint example #2.

Aelfgeft said:

"When I get past the first round, my game crashes to my desktop! I can't play at length because of this!"

"EA sucks. Dice sucks. They should all be killed. Look at my clever GIF where the letters EA turn into a swastika! I HATE EA! DIE EA! See? EA doesn't care about its customers because they won't respond to us calling them Nazis that should die!"

:rolleyes:

It's easy to make a point when you're allowed to fabricate both sides of the argument.

EA earned its reputation throw years and years of (no) hard work. DICE earned it by adopting EA's ethic.

Maybe they should write about why they're playing Battlefield every day.
Well, it's true. I still play Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat mod all the time. It's better than BF2. Play balance was better, and it had more play modes, specifically cooperative mode.

pain.angel said:
Yeh, I think they forgot about the silent majority that stopped playing bf2 when it didnt work right but hey they got their money for it so..

QFT

Just because they don't say anything doesn't mean they're happy about it.

I just pirate EA games, then just delete them without playing them.

Daily.

/I kid I kid
//maybe

BladeVenom said:
Well, it's true. I still play Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat mod all the time. It's better than BF2. Play balance was better, and it had more play modes, specifically cooperative mode.

QFT - I've purchased all the BF series, yet the only one that remains on my drive is BF1942 with it's mods. I fully intend to vote with my wallet and abstain from that 2142 crap. There are so many other games coming out in October that I'd rather put money into (NWN2, Flight Sim X, GW: Nightfall, SM's Railroads!, etc.).

Aelfgeft said:

Actually, most people do the first complaint first. And DICE / EA says, "Okay, apparently we left a minor glitch in the game that causes 50% of everybody who plays the game to no longer be able to play the game. We don't know how that one slipped out, folks, but we'll issue a patch as soon as we can get that number down to 25% or so...after all, we care for the consumer."

About 2 weeks goes by, and the community says, "Help! My game is crashing even more now! And now even when I can play for more than 5 minutes, there's an exploit that allows anybody with knowledge of it to kill me instantly no matter where I am! Please fix this in your next patch!" And DICE / EA says, "Whoa whoa whoa there buddy, how many people do you think we have working on this game? We only made about $70 million profit, so EA decided to cut our funding and re-direct it to an expansion pack to see if they can make a little bit more. So we recognize that the crashing is getting out of hand, and we're going to release a patch this coming Saturday that decreases the crashing because we're in this for the community. Unfortunately, because we're doing this to help you guys out, and we haven't finished testing, we think the number is only down to around 33% crashes."

That Saturday, the community downloads the patch and thinks, "Wow, it sure was swell of DICE / EA to work overtime and get this patch out 3 weeks after it should have been out as opposed to 5 weeks! Wait a second! This patch just introduced a whole slew of new problems that weren't even there before, and it also didn't even fix all of the old problems! DICE / EA, help!"

And then some fuckhead from the company goes ahead and says people should quit whining about their bumbling incomptence, and people start throwing complaint #2 because they more or less got robbed of $50. Fin.

finalgt said:
Actually, most people do the first complaint first. And DICE / EA says, "Okay, apparently we left a minor glitch in the game that causes 50% of everybody who plays the game to no longer be able to play the game. We don't know how that one slipped out, folks, but we'll issue a patch as soon as we can get that number down to 25% or so...after all, we care for the consumer."

About 2 weeks goes by, and the community says, "Help! My game is crashing even more now! And now even when I can play for more than 5 minutes, there's an exploit that allows anybody with knowledge of it to kill me instantly no matter where I am! Please fix this in your next patch!" And DICE / EA says, "Whoa whoa whoa there buddy, how many people do you think we have working on this game? We only made about $70 million profit, so EA decided to cut our funding and re-direct it to an expansion pack to see if they can make a little bit more. So we recognize that the crashing is getting out of hand, and we're going to release a patch this coming Saturday that decreases the crashing because we're in this for the community. Unfortunately, because we're doing this to help you guys out, and we haven't finished testing, we think the number is only down to around 33% crashes."

That Saturday, the community downloads the patch and thinks, "Wow, it sure was swell of DICE / EA to work overtime and get this patch out 3 weeks after it should have been out as opposed to 5 weeks! Wait a second! This patch just introduced a whole slew of new problems that weren't even there before, and it also didn't even fix all of the old problems! DICE / EA, help!"

And then some fuckhead from the company goes ahead and says people should quit whining about their bumbling incomptence, and people start throwing complaint #2 because they more or less got robbed of $50. Fin.

ROFL.

It's funny because it's true.

Ill be the obligatory opposite in this thread..

Ive played BF2 forever, and have had almost no problems w/ it ever, on multiple machines. Never had a problem w/ patching, etc. either. Had the red/blue bug a few times, no big deal to me. The game has crashed probably twice in the 1000 hours or so Ive played it.

My friends and I are really looking forward to BF2142 and the great LAN action to go with it.

As for EA/DICE, I really never concern myself with WHO is putting out the game, just whether I enjoy the game or not.

"...but they're all probably playing the game every day already anyway."

they could care less for their playerbase. all they intend to do is rush out another bf mod with slight makeover and get the money from their cheerleaders. and wow, what an asshole. i could give a fuck about the bf series before reading that but damn. ill be picking up rainbow 6 vegas instead.

a lot of the bf players helped ruin the game with the lame vehicle camping and tk's. so many tards and then you gotta deal with dice and ea.

Dice have proved again and again and again that they are incapable of reliably fixing problems in their own game, and when they do fix problems they tend to cause more along the way.

How many patches tried to fix the name colour bug in BF2? It's still not fixed 100% and how long as the game been out. How hard is it to have an array which lists all the team member on each side and then depending on the array name sets the colour value of the text in the team name? How they cannot fix such a basic bug is completely beyond me.

Im sorry but the sheer stupidity of some of their decisions is astonishing, especially the gameplay based ones, it make me seriously wonder if the design team actually have any forethought what so ever.

I mean who actually, SERIOUSLY thought through the design change for infinite claymores which cannot be destroyed and logically reasoned that it was a smart idea, and then managed to get that into one of the patch releases and THEN managed to get that patch release past QA.

I cannot reward that kind of incompetence by buying their products because if I do they simply will not learn from their mistakes and we wont see any changes in the way things are done, we need one of their games to fail badly so they can take some time out to reflect why it did so and actually get around to addressing the many problems they have.

BF2 was a fantastic game but the RELENTLESS bugs and the horrid gameplay changes in the patches, not to mention the server instability (servers only lasting a few hours is a total and utter disgrace) was enough to make me stop playing, I havn't got time for that kind of rubbish.

Aelfgeft said:

The problems exist, this is fact, they know about the problems, this is fact.

Just because certain people in the community complain in a fassion which may not be reasonable does not give them the excuse to treat all their customers like crap.

Most of the comments are full of anger like that because people are angry in the first place, angry either because their game is unplayable and the devs are incapable of fixing something that the community had to pay for, and angry because it's probably not the first time they've had to complain about the same problem.

To all of you who keep saying the game is somehow unplayable, I present to you the vast number of people who do play it. If they couldn't play it, there would not be as many as there are playing it at any given moment. Any game that is going to be as widely popular as BF2 is is going to run into configurations that cause problems. And you want fact? YOU ARE IN THE MINORITY.

Otherwise, the game would be a failure. Why does the game seem to work fine on the computers 11 year olds use and yet it doesn't work on your tweaked out rigs? Because it was made with them in mind and not you. Dell PCs, Alienwares, etc are easy to prepare for. Open architecture never is. Someone recently made a comment about how great No One Lives Forever 2 was. I noticed no one brought up the compatibility problems mentioned in the various forums about compatibility problems with XP. Feel free to fill me in on the vast array of games that got so popular and never have problems. And before you even take the breath to make any reference to CS, stop by the Steam forums and save your foot a stay in your mouth.

The game problems extend WAY past those which stop people from playing, most of the problems are not of this nature.

It maybe a minority for problem X and a minority for problem Y, but if you consider the slew of problems this game has had since its release im betting the total people that have never had a problem are in fact the minority.

I haven't purchased a single EA game in years. I won't purchase any EA game, period. A lot of people talk about talking with their wallet, but until more actually do, nothing with change. Don't complain. Just walk away. Once you've purchased the game, you've done all the talking EA cares about, plain and simple.

jRaskell said:
I haven't purchased a single EA game in years. I won't purchase any EA game, period. A lot of people talk about talking with their wallet, but until more actually do, nothing with change. Don't complain. Just walk away. Once you've purchased the game, you've done all the talking EA cares about, plain and simple.

QF-MF'ing-T

Frosteh said:
The game problems extend WAY past those which stop people from playing, most of the problems are not of this nature.

It maybe a minority for problem X and a minority for problem Y, but if you consider the slew of problems this game has had since its release im betting the total people that have never had a problem are in fact the minority.

Many people have a problem with software. There is not a single title of software in existence that has not had a problem in one way or another. However, if gameplay-inhibiting problems affect the vast majority of players, you get Sin. If they affect the small minority, you get BF2. You also get BF1942, Diablo 2, World of Warcraft, and many other popular games. In just about every software package there will be copies that go out that are unplayable for whatever reason for some consumers.

Again I say, being base and insulting and making corporate slurs about a company will not help you get your game up and running any sooner. So unless you are going to bring constructive criticism, information about your problem, or insight as to how it might be solved, staple your (collective your) fucking lips shut, because you aren't helping.

Major_A said:

I couldn't agree more. What an arrogant statement on the part of this guy. Let me get this straight the multiple daily server crashes introduced by 1.3 is a small problem? That really torks me as I paid for multiple servers for our clan since just after the demo and 1.3 made having a server almost pointless.

In my view patches are primarily to fix bugs, add new content and occasionally address a game balance issue if it is really sever. Dices patches on the other hand rarely fixed known bugs, more often than not completely altered major elements of game play that were rarely serious game balance issues and more often than not introduced bugs that were worse than prior to the current patch. So I am absolutely floored by their level arrogance and inability to look in the mirror.

2142, no I won't buy it or play it if it was given to me free. 1.3 and Armored Fury were the straws that broke my back on this game. Its really too bad because it was a great, highly addictive game but unfortunately saddled by monumentally terrible patches.

Standpoint said:
Ill be the obligatory opposite in this thread..

Ive played BF2 forever, and have had almost no problems w/ it ever, on multiple machines. Never had a problem w/ patching, etc. either. Had the red/blue bug a few times, no big deal to me. The game has crashed probably twice in the 1000 hours or so Ive played it.

My friends and I are really looking forward to BF2142 and the great LAN action to go with it.

As for EA/DICE, I really never concern myself with WHO is putting out the game, just whether I enjoy the game or not.

Ditto. Except for the 1000 hours part. :D

jRaskell said:

i just want to let you know that what you are doing isn't making any difference, nor will it ever. the reason is that the people who actually have the resolve to refrain from buying an EA game they want(not just ones who claim to on a forum) are an extreme minority, so its ultimately a futile mission. i know i would never refrain from buying a game i want to play because of the damn company that makes it. life is too short for that. id rather play a buggy game i like than play nothing.

vocal minority... LMFAO!!

I've yet to hear of ONE BF2 player who are not disgruntled with the bugs and issues.

Back