DFI LANparty UT nF4 SLI-DR (S939) in box

What ever happened to DFI? That company and BFG were really good brands back in the day, then they both went tits up. IIRC they had lifetime or really good warranties too.

2009-2011 was the darkest days of PC building, IMO. It's when everyone was clamoring about the death of the PC (due to the iPad/iPhone), and PC's were indeed spiraling downwards in a race to the bottom. So being a premium maker of PC products was just not profitable.

DFI still exists, but they abandoned their LANParty lineup. They are mostly an embedded and industrial supplier.
BFG went under due to high costs (lifetime warranty and 24/7/365 tech support).

Since DFI exists, I find it surprisingly that they don't start up their LANParty lineup again. High end consumer boards are quite profitable.

Exited the consumer market.. appears they still exist, but only cater to embedded and industrial markets..

I had an old DFI Lanparty for the Athlon XP lol. Really nice board and came with a carrying bag that wrapped around your computer. Years later for the next build I looked for another DFI but they were gone.

Buddy has this exact board and is currently gathering parts to do an older build for the hell of it

This was my primary rig when I was just out of my teens, anybody know if this is the one you had use a metal pencil and draw a circuit to unlock overclocking on the FSB? I remember something like that.

Hi. I am new here. I need to post in the hard drive section but I don't have permissions to post. Is there anyone here who can help me?

2009-2011 was the darkest days of PC building, IMO. It's when everyone was clamoring about the death of the PC (due to the iPad/iPhone), and PC's were indeed spiraling downwards in a race to the bottom. So being a premium maker of PC products was just not profitable.

DFI still exists, but they abandoned their LANParty lineup. They are mostly an embedded and industrial supplier.
BFG went under due to high costs (lifetime warranty and 24/7/365 tech support).

Since DFI exists, I find it surprisingly that they don't start up their LANParty lineup again. High end consumer boards are quite profitable.

BFG didn't go under due to their sweet warranty and support. They went under because Best Buy, which made for something like 80% of their sales just dropped them out of nowhere. They even said it themselves in an interview when it happened.

https://hothardware.com/news/stuck-...mes-to-the-rescue-with-discounted-rma-program
snip
BFG fell on hard times when it was unable to secure shipments of Nvidia's Fermi products, forcing the company to ditch its videocard business. According to reports, this didn't sit well with Best Buy, which ended up dropping BFG completely, including the company's power supplies that were sold in stores and online. Things went downhill from there,​
snip

BFG didn't go under due to their sweet warranty and support. They went under because Best Buy, which made for something like 80% of their sales just dropped them out of nowhere. They even said it themselves in an interview when it happened.

Might I ask for source? In May 2010, BFG announced they were exiting the graphics business due to no profitability.1
I personally recall that BB carried BFG items for months afterwards. My search has netted other people complaining about warranty services and confirming video cards in stock at BB as late as August.2

1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFG_Technologies
2 https://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Computers-Tablets/BFG-Technologies-Warranty/td-p/142981

Gents, if there is to be a discussion about BFG - please move it to a different subforum. It keeps bumping this to the top of eBay Auctions.

Back