DF YT: Gears 5 on Xbox Series X: The Tech Demo Analysed In-Depth!

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
A video devoted to the Gear 5 update.

I think some are getting carried away with snippets of this info from other videos.

This time they made it more clear that when the test vs 2080, that it is as close they could get in settings (no new special lighting modes enabled that would slow the XBSX). Performance is similar.

I think it is a bit strange to call this a Port. Xbox is a closed PC, but it's still a PC running a version of Windows and DirectX, putting in a new CPU/GPU doesn't require a port, anymore than adding a new GPU to my PC requires a port.

The Game itself will have the same setting as the PC version (but will be hidden). All they really need do is go in and update the setting for the more powerful HW.

Sure there is room for more optimizations, with things like Variable Rate shaders in the future, just like there is for Turing, that are current going un-utilized for both.

Bottom line: There is about RTX 2080 horspower here, but I wouldn't get carried extrapolating more beyond that, when they talk targetting 120Hz for multiplayer, that will likely just have settings lowered, and a lot of dynamic resolution, not that there is way beyond 2080 power here, waiting to be unlocked.

[...] not that there is way beyond 2080 power here, waiting to be unlocked.
There could be or not, we don't know at this point.
It's a new GPU architecture with some measure of custom hardware in between. Can they get more performance from it when they have a better understanding of the new architecture? Most probably.
Will it be a "OMG! 2080 Ti killer 200% performance!"? No.

Consoles exist to give you just enough reason to upgrade, but not enough to keep you from ignoring mid-cycle performance refreshes......to do anything else leaves money on the table for the manufacturer and the gamers know they won't have to wait an entire decade (some gamers may not make it another decade) to see new whiz-bang features or visuals, so they set us up for 10 year lifecycles with 5 year refresh options if you really want the latest and greatest.

Back