Destiny 2 - Discussion Thread

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
destiny_2_art_3997.0.jpg

Destiny 2 was made official yesterday, a teaser trailer was released today, and a full reveal is planned for March 30th!

I'm hoping they build on what they had and provide more features and innovation. They won't be held back by previous generation consoles this time around so the difference could be fairly significant!

Last edited:
The one thing I hope they do is create an in-game system to organize raids. Other than that I won't really care if the rest of the gameplay systems are exactly the same. Just shut up and take my money!

I pre-ordered already. I enjoyed the first game immensely especially playing co-op with my brother. So if the 2nd is just as good as the first, then yeah they can have my money.

Yeah as much as I like some aspects of Destiny 1 I'm going to stop playing Destiny 1 just because all my data will go Poof along with finding groups to play with in the Crucible and strike missions. As soon as Destiny 2 hits this will happen plus I don't have to pay for online sub if this game will be on Steam. I think.........

Can anyone here who currently plays Destiny 2 explain to me briefly how this game works now? My friends and I used to play the SHIT out of the original Destiny. Many late nights up grinding for gear, doing strikes, doing quests, chatting, and having a great time.

I have heard of Destiny 2, but I am out of the loop as far as the game goes. So there is a free to download version which I tried and starting it it looks like the beginning of the original Destiny with the huge wall and the Cosmo-drome at the beginning which took me by surprise... my question mostly is so this doesn't get too long is what is the advantage of BUYING Destiny 2 as opposed to the free version? Do you just get access to more content/levels/strikes/gear? Does the game work the same way it did in the past or are there a bunch of differences now?

Can anyone here who currently plays Destiny 2 explain to me briefly how this game works now? My friends and I used to play the SHIT out of the original Destiny. Many late nights up grinding for gear, doing strikes, doing quests, chatting, and having a great time.

I have heard of Destiny 2, but I am out of the loop as far as the game goes. So there is a free to download version which I tried and starting it it looks like the beginning of the original Destiny with the huge wall and the Cosmo-drome at the beginning which took me by surprise... my question mostly is so this doesn't get too long is what is the advantage of BUYING Destiny 2 as opposed to the free version? Do you just get access to more content/levels/strikes/gear? Does the game work the same way it did in the past or are there a bunch of differences now?
They started vaulting content a couple years ago, so you no longer start in the Red War campaign that sets up and explains the story, including why and how your character loses their powers. All the planets that came with the original retail version are no longer accessible. It's not just that, but Bungie have a habit of removing or completely changing equipment from one expansion pack to the next. I quit playing the game as soon as they announced they were removing content. The Forsaken content that launched with the F2P version itself will be vaulted at the end of the year. It's completely impossible to follow the story anymore due to their actions.

In other words, I would highly advise against spending any money on this game as they're just going to eventually remove what you paid for in the future. I am downright livid that the content I paid for when the game launched is just gone now. Fuck Bungie.

They started vaulting content a couple years ago, so you no longer start in the Red War campaign that sets up and explains the story, including why and how your character loses their powers. All the planets that came with the original retail version are no longer accessible. It's not just that, but Bungie have a habit of removing or completely changing equipment from one expansion pack to the next. I quit playing the game as soon as they announced they were removing content. The Forsaken content that launched with the F2P version itself will be vaulted at the end of the year. It's completely impossible to follow the story anymore due to their actions.

In other words, I would highly advise against spending any money on this game as they're just going to eventually remove what you paid for in the future. I am downright livid that the content I paid for when the game launched is just gone now. Fuck Bungie.

So I just read a little about this. Apparently Bungie made an announcement that in order to keep the size of the game under control they have to start removing content. That I can understand to an EXTENT because you can't perpetually make the game bigger and bigger for forever, however the part that REALLY concerns me about this development is the fact that millions of people who spent money on CONTENT will have that content removed. To me this is akin to buying a game and then the developer removing your access to a level or two via an update. I can understand that Destiny is not the same as a standard game per-say and is more of a "game as a service" title, however this precedent is very concerning to me.

What I hope for Destiny is that they will figure out a way so they can just build the game and keep it up for the life of it. They have to respect their customers more. I imagine if all this content is going to be removed this year then perhaps a big switch is due to happen next year. I had so much fun with the original Destiny that it still is one of my favorite all-time gaming experiences, and it's a shame to hear what it's turned into. I'll continue playing the free version and see how I like it.

So I just read a little about this. Apparently Bungie made an announcement that in order to keep the size of the game under control they have to start removing content. That I can understand to an EXTENT because you can't perpetually make the game bigger and bigger for forever, however the part that REALLY concerns me about this development is the fact that millions of people who spent money on CONTENT will have that content removed. To me this is akin to buying a game and then the developer removing your access to a level or two via an update. I can understand that Destiny is not the same as a standard game per-say and is more of a "game as a service" title, however this precedent is very concerning to me.

What I hope for Destiny is that they will figure out a way so they can just build the game and keep it up for the life of it. They have to respect their customers more. I imagine if all this content is going to be removed this year then perhaps a big switch is due to happen next year. I had so much fun with the original Destiny that it still is one of my favorite all-time gaming experiences, and it's a shame to hear what it's turned into. I'll continue playing the free version and see how I like it.

Bungie's intent is to rotate content in and out of the game so technically you don't lose the content permanently as it may return if and when they see fit though that is only a small comfort. I semi recently bought the previous expansion on sale and played a bit and still have issues how this game works.

If you return to this game after a break expect tons of messages, video's b4 you get into the game, load times ar imo ridiculous. While it's not a bad game there is a lot of room espacially on the technical level for improvements.

I need a "Buying Guide" for Destiny 2. I want to play Destiny 2 because I played the original a LOT, however there is so much conflicting information online that I haven't a clue what to listen to.

My first hesitation in buying a content pack that could potentially be discontinued sometime in the near future. Doing a search on the PlayStation Store for "Destiny 2" yields the following results to buy...

* Destiny 2: Shadowkeep
* Destiny 2: Forsaken Pack
* Destiny 2: Beyond Light
* Destiny 2: Beyond Light + 1 Season
* Destiny 2: Legendary Edition
* Destiny 2: The Witch Queen
* Destiny 2: Bungie 30th Anniversary Pack

What I am trying to figure out is what should I buy that won't be retired soon, and has all the previous content as well as the new content. Do I just need to buy Witch Queen? If I buy Witch Queen does that include the Beyond Light content, Shadowkeep Content, and everything else up to the Witch Queen content release?

So far I have only played the Free to Play portion of the game.

On one hand, I agree that it sucks Bungie has removed content that was paid for. However, that content is being rotated in and out of the game. Additionally, Destiny 1 content is being phased in as part of that rotation and they aren't charging for that as far as I know. For PC exclusive players like myself, it's nice to see as I never got to play Destiny 1 as that was a game for consoles. Essentially, out of the above list the only thing that's getting vaulted soon is Forsaken. That's going away on 2/22/22 when the Witch Queen drops. Again, referring to the rotation of content, we lost several worlds when Beyond Light dropped. However, Mars is returning with the Witch Queen update. You are safe buying all of the above except Forsaken. Just understand that some of that stuff will be taken in and out of the game periodically, and when it does return it won't necessarily be as it was. Although, the Vault of Glass Raid as I understand it is very much as it was.

That said, if you buy forsaken now, you have two and a half months to get through the single player content. Unfortunately, some of the stuff like the Black Armory content has been removed already so you don't necessarily get the full experience. However, you will be able to enjoy the story and it really helps with going forward past that. The Death of Cayde-6, all the mess with Uldrin Sov, etc. are all important if you care about the story. Since a lot of what's going on now revolves around the latter character, it's kind of a huge thing to miss out on. It would be worth buying right now if you burn through it. Frankly, it doesn't take that long to get through. Plus, even if that content does return it will not return in its original form. The only thing that would is the Last Wish Raid. Everything else won't really come back as it is today. You'll just get the same locations, repurposed for whatever is going on at the time. Additionally, strikes and things would return, but again not 100% as they were but close. At least, that's how its been handled so far.

It's not a perfect game by any means, but it is a game I have thousands of hours in. It's a fun game and it's shooting mechanics are probably the best of any shooter currently out there. It feels better and smoother than anything else I've ever played. It even makes classic Halo games feel clunky by comparison. That said, there is a bit of a learning curve to the game but it's worth it.

To answer a more specific question, the answer is no. You have to buy each individual expansion to get access to that content. Witch Queen does not give you retroactive access all the way back to Forsaken.

This is the correct order by the way:
* Destiny 2: Legendary Edition - This is the base game, allot of which you are playing already in the free edition. I'm not sure what the Legendary Edition contains over the free one.
* Destiny 2: Beyond Light + 1 Season - Season passes are the seasonal content above the base expansions. This includes a lot of cosmetic items, but also includes seasonal events, gear, etc. If you buy the deluxe version of a given expansion, you get this pass automatically.
* Destiny 2: Bungie 30th Anniversary Pack - Just dropped last week. Seems expensive for what it is, but its amazing.
* Destiny 2: The Witch Queen - Releases 2/22/22.

Each expansion has a story campaign plus a raid and lots of other things. As of today, you cannot play the Red War campaign which was part of the base game. The Curse of Osiris or the Warmind expansions are also completely removed from the game. Bungie was clear about one of the main reasons they did this, but what they didn't tell you is that they rewrote the entire back end of the game to make scripting and everything else more modular. It helped with troubleshooting and building content faster. It also allowed them to modify the use of existing spaces to suit other purposes. Part of the reason why things like the Warmind and Curse of Osiris expansions are gone is because that stuff hadn't been recoded under the new system. It would have taken tons of hours worth of work and by the time they were pulled, those things accounted for some 60% of the game's install size but wasn't actively being played much if at all. So the decision was made to vault that content, recode it and bring it back in some other form later on. This way they could control the game's install size, which would have been almost 200GB by the time Beyond Light dropped. Now its around 75GB I think.

That said, if you buy forsaken now, you have two and a half months to get through the single player content.

To answer a more specific question, the answer is no. You have to buy each individual expansion to get access to that content. Witch Queen does not give you retroactive access all the way back to Forsaken.

This is the correct order by the way:
* Destiny 2: Legendary Edition - This is the base game, allot of which you are playing already in the free edition. I'm not sure what the Legendary Edition contains over the free one.
* Destiny 2: Beyond Light + 1 Season - Season passes are the seasonal content above the base expansions. This includes a lot of cosmetic items, but also includes seasonal events, gear, etc. If you buy the deluxe version of a given expansion, you get this pass automatically.
* Destiny 2: Bungie 30th Anniversary Pack - Just dropped last week. Seems expensive for what it is, but its amazing.
* Destiny 2: The Witch Queen - Releases 2/22/22.

I couldn't have asked for a better explanation than what you gave, however I just have one follow-up clarification I need to make before making a decision.

The game as it stands now and what I am playing in the Free to Play version... is that what I would STILL be playing even if I bought The Legendary Edition? So what I am saying is I am brand new to Destiny 2... I download the Free to Play version of Destiny 2 to see if I like it. I am playing through it starting from the Cosmodrome as you do and I realize I like what I am playing so I buy the Legendary Edition that includes Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and Beyond Light... does my "Story" progress continue from where I left off in the Free to Play version of the game? So whether I start a brand new game as a new player by starting to play having bought the Legendary Edition or not first I will always start at the same place as far as the campaign content goes?

I am asking this because if I look online the Legendary Edition is $80. If I buy Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and Beyond Light separately the total is $85. If I buy the Legendary Edition it's $80 so I save $5 by buying the Legendary Edition... HOWEVER I have only 2 and a half months to complete the Forsaken campaign content which separately is $20. My time to game is limited so to me it would make more sense to just skip Forsaken and buying Shadowkeep for $45, and Beyond Light for $40 because Witch Queen is another $40 by the time that launches when Forsaken expires in 2.5 months. You see what I am getting out? Like do I spend the extra month on Forsaken now and rush through the SP content JUST BECAUSE it's being removed before Witch Queen launches?

However from the sounds of things... if I buy Forsaken now and it's retired... then hypothetically if they recycle the Forsaken content in the future I will have access to it then because I bought it earlier? Will I have the opportunity to buy it again later on when they recycle the content, or will there likely be a content pack in the future that will include it anyway?

I couldn't have asked for a better explanation than what you gave, however I just have one follow-up clarification I need to make before making a decision.

The game as it stands now and what I am playing in the Free to Play version... is that what I would STILL be playing even if I bought The Legendary Edition? So what I am saying is I am brand new to Destiny 2... I download the Free to Play version of Destiny 2 to see if I like it. I am playing through it starting from the Cosmodrome as you do and I realize I like what I am playing so I buy the Legendary Edition that includes Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and Beyond Light... does my "Story" progress continue from where I left off in the Free to Play version of the game? So whether I start a brand new game as a new player by starting to play having bought the Legendary Edition or not first I will always start at the same place as far as the campaign content goes?

I am asking this because if I look online the Legendary Edition is $80. If I buy Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and Beyond Light separately the total is $85. If I buy the Legendary Edition it's $80 so I save $5 by buying the Legendary Edition... HOWEVER I have only 2 and a half months to complete the Forsaken campaign content which separately is $20. My time to game is limited so to me it would make more sense to just skip Forsaken and buying Shadowkeep for $45, and Beyond Light for $40 because Witch Queen is another $40 by the time that launches when Forsaken expires in 2.5 months. You see what I am getting out? Like do I spend the extra month on Forsaken now and rush through the SP content JUST BECAUSE it's being removed before Witch Queen launches?

However from the sounds of things... if I buy Forsaken now and it's retired... then hypothetically if they recycle the Forsaken content in the future I will have access to it then because I bought it earlier? Will I have the opportunity to buy it again later on when they recycle the content, or will there likely be a content pack in the future that will include it anyway?
Well, I had to look it up. The Legendary Edition on Steam can be found here: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/514915/

It includes everything but the Witch Queen and the Bungie 30th anniversary content. So yes, from the free version you would continue your character where you leave off if that's what you are playing now. If you can play it through in order, you'll get to Forsaken after the Cosmodrome really. Even at an hour or two here or there, unless you go a week or more without playing it you should get through Forsaken's campaign in short order. I think it takes about 10-15 hours to do if memory serves.

As for the content cycle, it wouldn't be Forsaken in its original form coming back around. The locations will come back as parts of other expansions in the future, but I don't think you'll be able to buy and play through things like the Red War, Curse of Osiris and Warmind ever again in their original form. Strikes and raids yes, but not the actual campaign missions. We are getting Mars back with the Witch Queen, but that doesn't mean we will have all the Warmind content back. However, some things like the secrets located on Mars should be accessible again. So no, if you don't do Forsaken now, you probably never will.

Last edited:

Right now the legendary edition is on a deep sale (66% off) on Greenman gaming, if you want into it nows the time to buy

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/destiny-2-legendary-edition-pc/

Back