Department of Justice Files Antitrust Lawsuit Against Google

• Thread starter Deleted member 278999
  • Start date
True, but is Google even a "North American company?" These companies will eventually be based in tax sheltered countries or pay no taxes, if they are not already. How many people realize that Apple is really a Jersey island company?

What is the solution? Eventually they become like MomCorp in Futurama.
They are not state sponsored. Can you really say Baidu(Chinese google) hasn't got political agendas? Google does... but only in googles self interest. That's the main difference right now honestly. NA companies are more independent actors you sort of know the rules for...

I never understand this. They have a search engine, noone ask the general public to use it. Hey, you can use yahoo search engine if you dont like google. IF people uses google search engine, obviously google put the people who pay for their advertising at the top, they own the search engine. I don't see why it is illegal

A great many of the websites I have been using for years are a shell of what they were because advertising revenue has been plummeting.

In fact, it looks to me like it's dropping at an almost directly proportional rate to the growth of Google's stranglehold on the market. I'm no marketing exec and I'm no lawyer, I could be totally wrong and missing a greater trend.
The internet these days is basically a handful of social media sites, e-commerce sites, YouTube, and Wikipedia. The internet feels much smaller now.

The internet these days is basically a handful of social media sites, e-commerce sites, YouTube, and Wikipedia. The internet feels much smaller now.
I genuinely hadn't thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right. The internet does feel smaller in 2020 than it did in 2000.

That remains to be seen. Many big companies have come out of these just fine. Microsoft is basically just doing the exact same thing that got it into trouble 20 years ago. (I.e. shoving its browser down everyone's throats).

on the surface maybe, but the difference with them shoving explorer down everyones throats back then was that they were also trying to force a web standard change that made netscape and other browser incompatible. edge is the same shit as chrome with their own UI so it's a whole different thing..

IMO This is going to be a hard case to prove.

To break up a monopoly you need to show systematic harm to the consumer and or the competition.

If they argue this on how fringe beliefs and stories are ranked, I doubt judicial decision will be made.

If they go after advertising and find pay for play violations, there is a chance.

There is nothing wrong with providing services even with a tie in (term contract). If you price these services artificially low or exclusively, then you run into trouble.

Proving they are a monopoly is well duh.

Google's abusive practices are well-known

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_19_1770

Last edited:
Hopefully they don’t have to do internet research for their case. Not sure altavista is what it was.

Google's manipulation power comes from powerful/clever data mining across Search/Youtube/Android/Gmail etc. I good start would simply be forcing them to split off YouTube.

Google's manipulation power comes from powerful/clever data mining across Search/Youtube/Android/Gmail etc. I good start would simply be forcing them to split off YouTube.
It's not clever. They point blank roto-rooter you with a 40 foot wide drill. They don't even use lube. Their datamining is so in your face its pathetic but we all accept it because there are no alternatives and we have had over two decades to become dependent on it.

There is nothing wrong with providing services even with a tie in (term contract). If you price these services artificially low or exclusively, then you run into trouble.

Proving they are a monopoly is well duh.
Well, actually, tying is a critical component of a monopoly, according to US law and the FTC.

It actually is a combination of the properties that they own like Search, YouTube, Analytically, Advertising and so forth. Separately, there's room for competition, but purposely or not, the way they've developed their product stack competitors don't really have much of a chance.

You can look at the creation of Alphabet as an example of Google themselves being uncomfortable with their monopolistic product stack. IMO, every 'property' should be a separate company. Same goes for Amazon except they're much worse.

Staples and Office Depot were being destroyed by WalMart & Amazon.
Eric Holder/Obama said no Merger you greedy capitalistic businesses.

Google wanted YouTube, Facebook wanted Instagram.....no problem you wealthy authoritarians, just censor our adversaries domestically and fund our campaigns.

IMO This is going to be a hard case to prove.

To break up a monopoly you need to show systematic harm to the consumer and or the competition.

If they argue this on how fringe beliefs and stories are ranked, I doubt judicial decision will be made.

If they go after advertising and find pay for play violations, there is a chance.
The US Fed givt has a 99% conviction rate. They are not trifling with claims based on weak points. This case means they have die hard evidence and will be going for the throat in many cases.

I personally think Google is too powerful. When a corporation is more powerful than a government its time to put the brakes on. Because qhen a corporation controls the mindshare and publoc mediums ofnfree speech almost exclusively when I have no representation or voice against or way to redress my grievances it means they are a classic tyrant.

It's funny people think this is about anti-trust. It's not. It's about Google not turning over more citizen data to the government. Compared to what Apple (complete domination on their platform), Amazon redirecting consumers to their own products, and facebook killing off any competitors Google is a walk in the park comparatively.

They are not state sponsored. Can you really say Baidu(Chinese google) hasn't got political agendas? Google does... but only in googles self interest. That's the main difference right now honestly. NA companies are more independent actors you sort of know the rules for...
Um yeah they are. I don't know why people keep thinking most of the technological and medical advances come from the private sector. They don't. It comes from public financing with your tax dollars.

https://qz.com/1145669/googles-true...nd-nsa-research-grants-for-mass-surveillance/

Sooo....

Can someone please indicate when was the last time the US Senate/House/DOJ did anything even remotely significant or beneficial to the average person, other than the Covid Relief payments ?

Break up/regulate Google....seriously.....good luck with that..

I wants me some of that stuff they've been smoking, like, yesterday ..:p..:eek:..:rolleyes:

Sooo....

Can someone please indicate when was the last time the US Senate/House/DOJ did anything even remotely significant or beneficial to the average person, other than the Covid Relief payments ?

Break up/regulate Google....seriously.....good luck with that..

I wants me some of that stuff they've been smoking, like, yesterday ..:p..:eek:..:rolleyes:
The vaccine for COVID. Your tax dollars paid for that research. Actually about 210 ( since 2010) drugs which focused on everything from HIV, cancer, to male erectile dysfunction your tax dollars paid for.

Blimey!:) nd how much taco would have to pay to get treatment? So glad we all chipped in, that way it's affordable!😊💚
Well if we didn't have a corrupt government you're right it would be free/affordable.

It's funny people think this is about anti-trust. It's not. It's about Google not turning over more citizen data to the government. Compared to what Apple (complete domination on their platform), Amazon redirecting consumers to their own products, and facebook killing off any competitors Google is a walk in the park comparatively.
I love how "Apple won't let me sideload apps" is somehow a worse crime than handing over sensitive info.

Also, sorry to say, but I don't think that's the ulterior motive for the DOJ case. I'd say it's more likely that the DOJ is trying to drum up Republican votes — there were reports Barr and crew wanted to start of the case ahead of the election. The Dems want action as well, but they were likely waiting on the recently completed House investigation before proposing formal measures.

There is one thing on the DOJ's side, advertisers. Depends if Google is getting gougie on rates. Also on their bullying tactics. I could see Google's corporate enemies and frenemies might be pretty long. Add in Wallstreeters who believe Google peaked and wouldn't mind slaughtering the fatted calf so new entries could exist and be invested in.

Google wants to start interfering with Ad Block. This change would likely propogate into all Chromium Browsers that don't to a lot of Rework. They can be cut up into a 1000 pieces the size of a Party Store for all I care.

Um yeah they are. I don't know why people keep thinking most of the technological and medical advances come from the private sector. They don't. It comes from public financing with your tax dollars.

https://qz.com/1145669/googles-true...nd-nsa-research-grants-for-mass-surveillance/
Tax dollars is not remotely comparable to how baidu and china operate. Google has legal avenues to argue with the government. Baidu does not. Baidu is a representative arm of the Chinese governments will every single second in every capacity that that government chooses with no ability to even tell people what that capacity is. If the US gov came along and said "Monitor all African Americans" that crap would get leaked and there would be legal protections for the people who leaked it as well as legal repercussions for both google and the government after the dust settled.

Funding is not sponsorship. There are huge differences in our legal systems.

I'm just not sure if monopoly google or biggest fish Baidu would be more terrifying in the long run.

The means to an end matter. Google may need to be broken up, but this move is not motivated by good intentions.

Back