Demon's Souls (PS5)

polonyc2

Fully [H]
YES!!!...it's now official...Demon's Souls is coming to PS5...now I'm 100% getting a PS5...

Demon’s Souls is getting a next-gen remake...From Software’s original Souls game, originally released on PlayStation 3 in 2009, is coming to PlayStation 5, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today...handling development of the Demon’s Souls remake is Bluepoint Games...

"From JAPAN Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon's Souls. This remake invites players to experience the original brutal challenge, completely rebuilt from the ground up and masterfully enhanced with a new 'Fractured Mode.' In addition to beautiful shadow effects and ray tracing, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate. Coming to PlayStation 5."

When that mountain range was shown my first thought a Elder Scrolls VI trailer.

I just want a reskinned game if its rebuilt not sure if it retains its 2009 flavor.

I'm still waiting for Deep Down => from the PS4 presentation

so being that this is a remake does it mean they are adding/subtracting areas and bosses?

so being that this is a remake does it mean they are adding/subtracting areas and bosses?
I doubt they will cut anything major. Certainly not an entire boss. And there wouldn't be any reason to cut one. Aside from some A.I./patterning gliches: all of the bosses are very solid ideas and designs.

As far as major additions: there was a whole, destroyed archstone which ledge to the land of the giants (that land became so corrupted, they destoryed the archstone, preventing anyone from ever traveling there again).

Popular theory is that Dark Souls was basically an entire game, fleshing out that idea. However, might not stop Bluepoint from doing their own original archstone. and they could also certainly change it to something else, besides "land of giants" or whatever.

Also, I expect geometry and layouts of many areas, will be drastically changed. And even if basic layouts are kept pretty faithful. The incredibly rich geometric detail will inevitably re-form many places.

I doubt they will cut anything major. Certainly not an entire boss. And there wouldn't be any reason to cut one. Aside from some A.I./patterning gliches: all of the bosses are very solid ideas and designs.

As far as major additions: there was a whole, destroyed archstone which ledge to the land of the giants (that land became so corrupted, they destoryed the archstone, preventing anyone from ever traveling there again).

Popular theory is that Dark Souls was basically an entire game, fleshing out that idea. However, might not stop Bluepoint from doing their own original archstone. and they could also certainly change it to something else, besides "land of giants" or whatever.

Also, I expect geometry and layouts of many areas, will be drastically changed. And even if basic layouts are kept pretty faithful. The incredibly rich geometric detail will inevitably re-form many places.

being that this is a remake vs a remaster I would think there would be some substantial changes...they even mentioned the game being built from the ground up...I never played the original so it wouldn't matter to me but I wish they would have gone more for a remaster as the game seems pretty solid even by today's standards

being that this is a remake vs a remaster I would think there would be some substantial changes...they even mentioned the game being built from the ground up...I never played the original so it wouldn't matter to me but I wish they would have gone more for a remaster as the game seems pretty solid even by today's standards
Well there has been a lot of debate over what these words mean. Not only now, but over the past few years.

Bluepoint's Shadow of The Colossus remake actually ported over a lot of the animations and under the hood systems, from the original. Not saying this can't possibly be a major a remake. But I have a feeling they will stay very faithful to a lot of it. I think most of the change will just be naturaly side effects of drastically improved visual possibilities. I mean, I can already say that the Shrine of Storms Archstone is going to look immensely different in the overall visual impact. But I expect the general layout or at least the major landmarks, to be pretty faithful. Every numbered area of the game had iconic locations/landmarks. I expect those to be fully leaned into. Rather than outright changed. And not only for the sake of paying respect. But because a really big deal about Demon's Souls, is that the environment is very important to the gameplay. and much of the game is pretty carefully designed with that in mind. With Demon's Souls, From Software got a lot right, on the first try.

I think one of the biggest potential changes, will be the world tendency system. Which was very cool but also very broken, in the original game. I would love it if they didn't change it a lot and rather just fixed it. But I could see them running away on that with something new/different.

I think one of the biggest potential changes, will be the world tendency system. Which was very cool but also very broken, in the original game. I would love it if they didn't change it a lot and rather just fixed it. But I could see them running away on that with something new/different.

do you think they'll change the bonfire mechanic to more closely match the later games?...meaning warping from early in the game

do you think they'll change the bonfire mechanic to more closely match the later games?...meaning warping from early in the game
Demon's Souls works totally differently, anyway. You start the game in The Nexus. Which is the hub. From the hub, you have the 5 archstones. Each archstone has 3 or more areas (1-1, 1-2, 1-3. 2-1, 2-2, 2-3. etc) which are accessed linearly. Each area, has 1 mini archstone (bonfire), which you can use to return to the nexus. I imagine for ease of use, they will probably let you go to any archstone which you have already reached, from any other archstone. Rather than having to return to the nexus every single time. However, The Nexuas is an absolutely important part of the game. So they shouldn't give archstones a bunch of utility, like they did with the bonfires. Having to return to the nexus to heal and stock up and upgrade and all of that, is very important to atmosphere and themes of the game.

And with load times on even basic SSD being a few seconds----there shouldn't be a lot of pressure to streamline checkpoints too much. I feel like half the reason they did that in the past, was because load times on consoles were close to 1 minute. In my opinion, archstones should only be portals back the The nexus, or other already reached archstones. And nothing else. Not a storage box. Not an upgrade point. Not a healing point. etc. and that's because of the role The Nexus plays. And the fact that load times will be nothing, anyway.

Last edited:
Having to return to the nexus to heal and stock up and upgrade and all of that, is very important to atmosphere and themes of the game.

so it's somewhat similar to Dark Souls 2 where you had to return to the Majula hub to level up etc

I guess it would be too much to ask for a PC version. This and Gran Turismo 7 sealed the deal on the PlayStation 5 for me.

I guess it would be too much to ask for a PC version. This and Gran Turismo 7 sealed the deal on the PlayStation 5 for me.

since From Software is not involved in this remake the chances of a PC version are pretty slim...

I cant even tell where the player is in game because the graphics are so altered except for the one which is in the starting area outside. Demon Soula is still the most solid souls game because its 100 percent original.

Been waiting to play this game forever. I actually own a copy of the disk, but I don't have a system that'll play it anymore. I tried playing it via emulator, but it was busted as all hell.

I've said it before, but Demons Souls is my favorite of all these. Atmosphere was creepy, creepy music, it's just great.

Been waiting to play this game forever. I actually own a copy of the disk, but I don't have a system that'll play it anymore. I tried playing it via emulator, but it was busted as all hell.
I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen several videos of the game being played successfully through newer builds of RPCS3. It is flagged as "Playable" in their db.
https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=Demon's_Souls

Demon's Souls Remake: PS5 vs PS3 Tech Breakdown - A Remake Worth Waiting A Generation For?

I’m not sure I’m a fan of the change in artistic direction. It’s 100% far better looking but I think the atmosphere of the game is being shifted from an oppressive gloom to something brighter and less gloomy oppressive.

I don’t know. Still gonna buy it and play the hell out of it though.

I’m not sure I’m a fan of the change in artistic direction. It’s 100% far better looking but I think the atmosphere of the game is being shifted from an oppressive gloom to something brighter and less gloomy oppressive.

I was thinking that, too. Bluepoint has received the same criticism in the past with remasters.

this is a remake so fans of the previous version should be prepared for a lot of artistic changes

Preordered.

https://www.amazon.com/Test-Sony-12-PlayStation-4/dp/B08FC5TTBF

1600309480035.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
$69.99 is the new base price for all next gen games??...wow...I thought you were going to wait for the PC version?
Amazon preorder won't charge me until it actually ships, will just cancel if there's news in the meantime about a Steam release.

But my gut is telling me we probably won't see PC until 2021.

$69.99 is the new base price for all next gen games??...wow...I thought you were going to wait for the PC version?
Its the base price for Sony's first party games. Third parties may be cheaper. However, I believe Ubisoft already talked about $69.99?

Its the base price for Sony's first party games. Third parties may be cheaper. However, I believe Ubisoft already talked about $69.99?

Ubisoft said they aren't raising prices, yet. Acti, Sony, and 2K have all raised prices so far. I imagine Bethesda will join the $70 brigade as soon as they announce the inevitable next-gen port of Skyrim.

This is my second most anticipated game right after CyberPunk 2077. I’m annoyed that they come out within a week of each other.

I'm replaying Bloodborne right now. I really, really hope this game doesn't have the performance issues and blur that game does. My eyes take like 10 minutes to adjust to playing it every time and it's tough to see anything with all of the motion blur.

Demon's Souls Remake PS5: Gameplay Trailer Tech Breakdown + First Next-Gen Frame-Rate Analysis!

Back