Dell U2412M

i don't understand 99% of the fascination with viewing angles... really, who uses or sits with their monitor off to the side? it really seems to me to be one of the silliest things going right now. but, people like to cling to and champion funny things, so to each their own. i guess "pro's" like viewing things sideways.

my computer is in my room with my bed. I often watch shows and movies i have on my computer that arent playable on my tv. viewing angles matter for me. maybe not a lot but its a selling point.

i don't understand 99% of the fascination with viewing angles... really, who uses or sits with their monitor off to the side? it really seems to me to be one of the silliest things going right now. but, people like to cling to and champion funny things, so to each their own. i guess "pro's" like viewing things sideways.

If you use programs like photoshop, then angles matter, as the user wants accurate colors. It's not necessarily just viewing things sideways, which I agree is an exaggeration. Small movements can cause gamma shift on TNs (and perhaps some VAs), and with IPS, you instead get glow.

So if you don't care about accurate colors or IPS glow on your monitor, or somehow manage to sit perfectly still for hours on end, with your eyes at a perfect angle, then I guess angles/color shift won't matter to you. But for a lot of people it does matter.

For multi-monitor setups (like I have, with two U2412Ms), viewing angles matter a lot. You'll never sit at exactly 90 degrees from the monitor in this case, ergo with cheap TNs and even with *VAs to some extent you'll experience colour/gamma shift.

IPS glow on the other hand barely bothers me. It's more like there's a soft light somewhere in the room reflecting on the screen's AG layer. Moving my head a bit is enough with IPS glow and with a real light reflection, ergo it is the same natural motion and doesn't require much conscious thought on my end :)

Hello everyone. I am new here and about to buy probably this U2412M monitor.

I have read and saw most of the pictures with "backlight bleeding problems". I have two options to get in two different shops:

• One is R05 and
  • the other is R00.

Which one do you suggest so that there (most probably) won't be backlight bleeding problems?

I have read and saw most of the pictures with "backlight bleeding problems". I have two options to get in two different shops:

• One is R05 and
  • the other is R00.

I have replaced my monitor for the 6th time and I think I will stop doing that anymore since I'm already quite satisfied with my current unit. Let's talk about my experience with the 6 U2412HM I got my hands on:

New (A03): most serious bleeding of all monitors.
1st Rep (A02): Terrible backlight problem where a big patch in the middle of the screen has lower brightness than the other part. No idea about bleeding as I couldn't even bother checking.
2nd Rep (A00): Quite a bit better than my first monitor and has the perfect AG coating. Quite satisfying monitor as bleeding despite covers a substantial amount of area, was not intense enough to notice even on poor lighting condition.
3rd Rep (A02): Dead pixel with very little bleeding, replaced.
4th Rep (A00): Dead pixel with quite an amount of bleeding.
5th Rep (A01): Bleeding close to my first unit.
6th Rep (A03): Seems like a unit right from the factory as the screen protective cover is still there compared to previous replacements. Bleeding is minimal:

qjQ91UH.jpg

• One is R05 and
  • the other is R00.

Which one do you suggest so that there (most probably) won't be backlight bleeding problems?

Both have equal chances of getting bleeding, my money will be on Rev A00 as it has the best anti-glare coating compared to other coating which makes white "sparkly".

Hello everyone.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for my English.

Secondly I want to write sth about my problem with monitor. It is very popular backlight bleeding. In the first picture you can see my first Dell U2412M. Terrible bleeding.. heh. So i decided to replice the monitor and i got new. In the second picture (second monitor) there is bleeding too however in just one corner (maybe in left side too but little). I must say I don't know what i should do. Repliced again? My backlight bleeding is big or not in comparison to others? Is there big chance that i get even better monitor?

First: http://i48.tinypic.com/kcg1d.jpg
Second: http://i47.tinypic.com/90vc69.jpg

Can I ask people to comment on the anti-glare coating on this thing?

I have an HP LP2065 (a highly rated IPS from a few years ago), and I just can't take the AG coating anymore. Maybe I don't have it calibrated right, but I have the typical grainyness everyone speaks not so kindly about that looks like there is an opaque covering on top of an otherwise nice monitor.

I think it's either buy this one from Dell, the new 24" from NEC, or just blow all my money on an iMac.

Thank you.

Thank you.

It has the typical heavy AG coating found on matte IPS displays. If you are looking for a light or semiglossy coated monitor, this isn't it.

most people have pretty strong opinions on it.

i wouldnt recommend this to anybody who has owned a glossy monitor.

i came from a matte TN display and believe me it was an insane upgrade. and the AG coating does not bother me in the slightest. there are plenty it does bother. it is personal preference

Got my u2412m rev. a03 from bestbuy today. My old monitor was a dell 2007wfp (s-ips) so I am used to the rather heavy AG coating. Definite back light bleed in all corners but the most is in the corners of the right side. Apparently this is pretty common with these so I'm probably not gonna bother sending it back for a new one.

Zero pixel issues. Color quality is not quite as good as the 2007wfp but the brightness that the led backlight provides helps make up for that a bit. Contrast and whites are better while still keeping good blacks. Used the 24" apple cinema display profile from TFT for the best colors. The profiles for the u2412 a03 seemed to both have a yellow tint.

Overall I am impressed with the monitor and feel that it was a great buy for the price (~$300). I love the size and my old 20" looks so tiny now :p. Very happy with it so far.

Got my u2412m rev. a03 from bestbuy today. My old monitor was a dell 2007wfp (s-ips) so I am used to the rather heavy AG coating. Definite back light bleed in all corners but the most is in the corners of the right side. Apparently this is pretty common with these so I'm probably not gonna bother sending it back for a new one.

Zero pixel issues. Color quality is not quite as good as the 2007wfp but the brightness that the led backlight provides helps make up for that a bit. Contrast and whites are better while still keeping good blacks. Used the 24" apple cinema display profile from TFT for the best colors. The profiles for the u2412 a03 seemed to both have a yellow tint.

Overall I am impressed with the monitor and feel that it was a great buy for the price (~$300). I love the size and my old 20" looks so tiny now :p. Very happy with it so far.

you should try out 10e's custom RGB color calibration. Ive been using it since I bought mine and I love it.

also...best buy has these?! :O

you should try out 10e's custom RGB color calibration. Ive been using it since I bought mine and I love it.

also...best buy has these?! :O

Cool ya ill give it a shot. And yep best buy online has these for $296 and free shipping so its about $320 after tax. If you have any problems or just dont like it you can just bring it into a local store for a full refund within 30 days.

I'd also just like to add that while the viewing angles are almost perfect on the 2007wfp, the u2412 has a sort of white fade out at wide angles.

What do you think about bleeding? Is there big chance that I will get even better (perfect) monitor? Is it worth a try to exchange it? My first Dell had seriously (for me) bleeding in four corners of screen. As you can see, second is better but not perfect.

90vc69.jpg

Would you guys recommend this monitor with the price difference by far over the Dell S2440L and S2340M. Trying to decide between the 3. Using it for Photo Editing and some FPS gaming.

Would you guys recommend this monitor with the price difference by far over the Dell S2440L and S2340M. Trying to decide between the 3. Using it for Photo Editing and some FPS gaming.

i would say the 2412hm is worth the extra 60$

The Dell S2440L has far too glossy screen to be useable. If you can stand using a mirror as monitor, then be my guest.

Hello,

I have noticed on my U2412M that there appears to be subtle cross-hatching on whites and lighter greys. I have replaced the monitor once and got another with the same problem.

I believe that this is the anti-glare coating although Dell says it is not. They do not want to replace the monitor a 2nd time but will give me a full refund (which I accepted).

However, before I package everything up and send it back, I would like to ask if this is indicative of the heavy AG coating seen on this monitor that I keep reading about-- or another problem alltogether.

From what I have read, the AG coating makes whites seem dirty but I see a distinctive cross-hatching on both U2412Ms I have received.

Any information about this problem would be greatly appreciated! This community really seems to be on top of Dell monitors so I thought I would ask. Thank you!

Is it possible to get a displayport to HDMI adapater and use the u2412m as a TV I realize its 16:10 and I don't know how to get around the no sound issue either?

I'm guessing its not possible or worth it but I am curious. Thanks guys.

I have two of these monitors now and I was thinking of having one set up with DVI to my videocard and then the other displayport to HDMI as a TV I could just switch the source on my second one. I am in college now and don't really watch enough tv to spend money on a TV. If it's not possible no loss to me since I rarely watch TV.

Anyone ordered this monitor from Dell lately? I've been checking their website and it looks like they're out of stock and estimated arrival is in March.

I know if I call Dell I can probably get a good deal on this monitor. Does it make sense to order directly from them as opposed to other places like Best Buy where it says they are in stock?

(I'm upgrading from a Dell 2209WA and have been very happy with that so the IPS glow/coating doesn't bother me...)

Apparently buying from Dell directly. They will ship you out the latest revision. Retail is not a guarantee as it could be old stock sitting around. Best Buy has it on sale for $296.99 with free shipping. Fantastic deal. Example I bought mine from walmart.com a few weeks ago. Mine is revision A03 made in May 2012. Old stock obviously but works perfectly fine. Also read this from Dell http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19263699.aspx regarding their warranty on the monitors. They have changed. It use to be if it fails or you want an exchange with in 90 days. They ship you brand new units. Now it is only with in 30 days. After 30 days they will ship out a used/refurb. units.

Last edited:
Is it generally advised not to by these monitors from the amazon resellers. Last week, DataMaster and BatteryJuice on Amazon had them for $260($30s/h)-$270($20s/h). I held off buying them and they now jumped back up to $309($25). My goal was to wait for them to drop to $250 but I think I will just get them the next time they are back in the 260-ish range.
Anyway, Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about these Amazon resellers?

That's been Best Buy's usual price since December. Same for Amazon. But today, Best Buy is $399. And Amazon isn't selling it directly. What's going on?

I've been watching the price of this monitor go all over the place. Anywhere from ~$275 to ~$400 depending on the day and the vendor. Same thing happened with the Asus PA248Q, which is finally down to a reasonable price, after being close to $400 for quite a while. I almost bought it on BF for $299 and didn't, which was a huge mistake. Quite happy with the U2412M that I got for $276 though. I also noticed that Amazon doesn't sell either monitor direct now. My guess is that people abused the hell out of the return policy trying to get the "perfect" display.

I've been watching the price of this monitor go all over the place. Anywhere from ~$275 to ~$400 depending on the day and the vendor. Same thing happened with the Asus PA248Q, which is finally down to a reasonable price, after being close to $400 for quite a while. I almost bought it on BF for $299 and didn't, which was a huge mistake. Quite happy with the U2412M that I got for $276 though. I also noticed that Amazon doesn't sell either monitor direct now. My guess is that people abused the hell out of the return policy trying to get the "perfect" display.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the third party price has gone up quite a bit recently and Dell's website has been showing that it won't ship until the 2nd week of March. Today it's saying one to two weeks so it's most likely that the monitor stock was simply in short supply recently. I'm guessing the manufacturing was ramped down in the last month or two, there was a shortage of panels or perhaps even a new revision is coming. (Likely a bit of everything).

Does anybody know approximate frequency of PWM (backlight blinking) in U2412M? I didn't find it in any review :-(
How bad IPS glow U2412M has, in comparison with e.g. LG IPS235P ?

Hi guys. This is my first post here, and I need your advice.
My U2412M monitor has a bleeding problem :)
When I watch movies is noticeable. Hope you can see it in the attached picure.
I think its pretty bad, especially the bottomleft corner. I noticed it right away when I watched a movie.
I still have a couple of days to return it and try my luck with another.
Do you think it's worth the risk of getting a worse one?
Would you live with it?

http://i.imgur.com/GV0V0TR.jpg

robson22222... I bought 5 to get 3 without tint issues. That one definitely has a bad tint issue.

wizake... As for the backlight bleed, only noticeable in a dark room with the brightness way up. Otherwise, at normal brightness, the backlight bleed posted here in recent pics is not an issue in normal lighting.

Does anyone have any information on exactly how fast the PWM backlight flickers in this monitor at various brightness levels?

I'm not sure if it uses an inordinately slow PWM duty cycle or what, but even with brightness at 85 I can see the effects of flicker. :(

Can anyone with u2412m try to hook an android tablet/phone with U2412m using (micro)hdmi to dvi cable?

Tried with my phone & u2412m. Doesn't work. The monitor simply told me it's gonna sleep in 5 minutes.
I also have tried hooking the phone with my old HP w1907 (DVI, 16:10). Same result, no luck.

I've been googling, the only thing I found it's said microhdmi lacks the 5v power source so the DVI couldn't work.
Anyway, I found a video on youtube showng hdmi-dvi on android phone, and it does work! a couple of forum posts also confirm this.

so.. I have a hunch it's something to do with my phone outputting 720p(16:9) and u2412m is 16:10 with no 1:1 pixel mapping (no idea about the w1907).. something to do with unspportd resolution. I guess.

I really want to confirm this. Any comment would be appreciated

Thanks.

I have an HP LP2065 (a highly rated IPS from a few years ago), and I just can't take the AG coating anymore. Maybe I don't have it calibrated right, but I have the typical grainyness everyone speaks not so kindly about that looks like there is an opaque covering on top of an otherwise nice monitor.

I think it's either buy this one from Dell, the new 24" from NEC, or just blow all my money on an iMac.

Thank you.

I just bought a U2412M for a second monitor today, and I consider myself VERY bothered by AG in general. I tend to see the rainbow effect and it drives me insane. This Dell, well it does have AG coating, seems fairly minor to me. I wouldn't say that I like it as much as my Glossy WQHD sitting next to it, but it's a great buy and definitely worth the $280 I paid at Microcenter.

Just received a 2412M. I have it connected via display port as my main in landscape. I also have a Dell 2311H connected via DVI in portrait mode. Video card is ATI 5670 and Catalyst 13.1.

Problem: Overnight the M2412 reverts to 800X600 (and cannot be changed in the Win7 screen resolution window) and the entire desktop ends up on the secondary 2311H in landscape (the monitor is rotated in portrait). I have to unplug the display port cable from the 2412M to reset the mess. Also, if I try to "detect displays" in Catalyst Control, the same mess occurs and no monitors are detected. All power and screen saver setting are off.

Anyone know if this is card issue. Dell claims it's the card and its display port.

I have not tried connecting the 2412M via HDMI>DVI yet. I have a feeling that might solve the problem, but I am due for a new card anyway. Just curious if this is a known issue.

Last edited:
Sold my U2412M.

It was the 2nd one I had because of the bleeding issue.
The 1st one was return to the local store.

Perfect colors (no tint) but some bleeding was sill there.

I'm tired of LED backlight monitors issues like bleeding and tint.

Not using too much the PC this days, but I might try one U2410 wich still has CCFL backlight.

Last edited:
And I bought it :)

To me it has some bleeding (no tint) on the top right and bottom left corners on a dark room with a black image, applying some pressure (puling towards me) on the bezel reduces the bleeding considerably and makes the screen more uniform. Under normal conditions, bleeding is unnoticed.

But I do feel that the top of the screen is brighter then the bottom, but I don't know if its due to the bigger screen area (I had a 22" 1080p for the last 4 years) and viewing angles.
Also sometimes when the screen has big whites areas, it seems there is a little tint in some areas...Dunno, it might be all psychological :p

Last edited:
Just to share my opinion on the monitor:

Same as the user above I noticed that the screen brightness is uneven. It's brighter at the top, not by much but still... IPS glow (or what is called) is present although it's only noticeable at night (when no light in the room) on dark colors.

I haven't expected u2412m to be a perfect monitor. I was looking for 24", 1920x1200, IPS, Matte screen monitor. Matte screen is really important for me. I can enjoy the sunshine in the room and still have a perfect picture without mirror effect. I have no complaint with AG coating. Text looks good (I am using it mainly for programming).

Build quality is good, could be better though. I like the design of the unit. Stand is great, you can easily adjust the height. Photos looks great, I am really impressed with the image quality.

Overall, really satisfied with the monitor.

I bought one off of Newegg the other week, so I thought I'd share my experience.

The monitor I received from Newegg had some bad colour uniformity between left and right. The left side had a bright yellowish tint, and the right side had a darker blue tint. It wasn't dramatic, but definitely very noticeable on sites like http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm where the left and right backgrounds were completely different in colour.

I got with Dell, and they overnighted a replacement with no hassle. What they sent me was a refurbished monitor, so I called them back up and got ready to complain, but they immediately apologised profusely and sent me a new replacement and told me to send the refurbished monitor back.

I got the second new monitor from Dell, and the problem was precisely the same, except the yellow and blue tints were on opposite sides. Called Dell again, told them I wanted to return the new replacement monitor, and they sent me a shipping label for it. Then I called Newegg and returned the original monitor as defective, and got my money back. Awesome service from Newegg and Dell in particular, but the quality control on these things seems to be really, really terrible. Both panels also had absurd angular glow that made the effective viewing angles worse than my TN panel LG L227WT (which is still an amazing monitor to this day.)

Oh well. The hunt for a good and affordable 1920x1200 monitor continues.

I bought one off of Newegg the other week, so I thought I'd share my experience.

The monitor I received from Newegg had some bad colour uniformity between left and right. The left side had a bright yellowish tint, and the right side had a darker blue tint. It wasn't dramatic, but definitely very noticeable on sites like http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm where the left and right backgrounds were completely different in colour.

I got with Dell, and they overnighted a replacement with no hassle. What they sent me was a refurbished monitor, so I called them back up and got ready to complain, but they immediately apologised profusely and sent me a new replacement and told me to send the refurbished monitor back.

I got the second new monitor from Dell, and the problem was precisely the same, except the yellow and blue tints were on opposite sides. Called Dell again, told them I wanted to return the new replacement monitor, and they sent me a shipping label for it. Then I called Newegg and returned the original monitor as defective, and got my money back. Awesome service from Newegg and Dell in particular, but the quality control on these things seems to be really, really terrible. Both panels also had absurd angular glow that made the effective viewing angles worse than my TN panel LG L227WT (which is still an amazing monitor to this day.)

Oh well. The hunt for a good and affordable 1920x1200 monitor continues.

thanks for sharing. no problems with my u2312hms via newegg, but good to know they are easy to deal with

Back