Dell G5 power supply replacement

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
Trying to build my fiancee a gaming rig so she can keep up with me and the kiddo. Have a temp solution brewing.
I planned to use my Alienware Alpha R2 and the Amplifier but it seems they killed it off by not updating support for the 30xx series cards so I've been trying to figure out what I could use. Had an old G5 I used for my racing simulator and of course with Dell, everything is proprietary so I said fxck it and cut the case open so I could install the card. It actually works pretty good.

Down side, the system shipped with a 2070 Super and a 460w PSU and it struggles pretty bad trying to push the card so I need to get a replacement PSU that is higher wattage. Dell uses these weird skinny PSUs that only have a couple small connectors. The case doesnt support an ATX PSU, the HSF mounts directly to the case and pinches the CPU/motherboard, so in order to upgrade anything with standard parts you basically need an entirely new machine. Looking to find just a hopefully 650w+ PSU that will fit this thing.

I'm not sure what to call these PSUs since they arent ATX. Is there a name for this form factor? "Rectangular Dell Bullshit"?

Found this one at 500w which is s start but I dont feel like its going to be enough.
https://www.365powersupply.com/prod...ell-g5-5090-7070-7060-d500e005p-power-supply/

Attachments

• IMG_4878.JPG
    IMG_4878.JPG
    607.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4879.JPG
    IMG_4879.JPG
    467.3 KB · Views: 0
The name for that Dell supply is "Proprietary Dell Bullshit".

Nobody but Dell makes power supplies for that system (or more specifically their OEMs, ACBel in that case), so your options are very limited. Not only is the PSU a proprietary form factor, it also uses proprietary motherboard power connectors. It is not ATX12VO, it's some proprietary garbage that Dell came up with.

What makes it hard to adapt anything to it is the 12V 2.5A standby current requirement, which no ATX power supply can provide. The soft start function may also be another hurdle due to the voltage differences.

I just replaced a lower wattage one like that in a Dell 3650 an hour ago. this one only had an 8pin and 4 pin to the motherboard.
Probably can get a server PSU for that machine and make/buy the adapter cables so you can plug it into the motherboard.

6BE38708-5CDD-4645-8F3E-522B16BAC067.jpeg

That is a Dell size as far as I know, based on some server form factor.

If you can get a PSU in the correct wattage/ with 24 pin motherboard connector, you can get a 24- 8 pin adapter from Amazon for about $15

By the time you get done with random custom upgrades to that PSU to fit in your frankenstein'd chassis, you might as well just have bought a cheap $50 mATX case with better airflow, a regular ATX PSU, and a 10-pin adapter.

500W is plenty for a 3070 anyway. It's the PSU Dell sells with their 3070. The custom EVGA version isn't going to draw significantly more power to justify anything more than the 500W Dell spec'd for that setup.

By the time you get done with random custom upgrades to that PSU to fit in your frankenstein'd chassis, you might as well just have bought a cheap $50 mATX case with better airflow, a regular ATX PSU, and a 10-pin adapter.

500W is plenty for a 3070 anyway. It's the PSU Dell sells with their 3070. The custom EVGA version isn't going to draw significantly more power to justify anything more than the 500W Dell spec'd for that setup.

Thats what I thought the first time I wanted to upgrade this.. its the whole reason I have a full other computer..

Wanted to upgrade the PSU, bought a different case and PSU.
Discovered the HSF is attached to the case through the mobo. Bought a new HSF.
Assembled and found the motherboard used non-standard connectors so I could either adapt it, or get a new mobo.. Ended up getting a new Mobo since the case hookups werent standard.
Got a great deal on an i9...
When it was all said and done, I had a whole second computer and still had every piece of this one.

I might take some measurements of an ATX PSU and see if I can 3D printer a chassis that would mount in this case which will be my most likely option to do what I want.

Why not get a budget mobo like this https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...LHil_K5Nt7yEKYcL6FxoCVk8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Stuff it in a case like this https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353220?Description=a5 bk&cm_re=a5_bk-_-11-353-220-_-Product

I've personally built in that case and it hits it home in many ways.. And the Dell G5 mobo is what I would call E waste. Anything is better than that.. Throw the Dell's components into this case and onto the AIB mobo and run whatever you want to

Your kind of missing the point.
I dont want to buy 3/4 of a new computer to upgrade a power supply... Ive already done that once over this thing.
Making some progress though.

Looking to see if someone can remix this ATX>SFX into an SFX>Dell-SFF
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2972643

Found a used EVGA SFX 650w for 90$ so if I can print this part, my journey is over. And the headaches of years worth of people with my same problem may be over.
Alternately, I may just use my air nibbler to cut out the PSU mount on the back to SFX size and mount it that way. Either way, the SFX PSU looks to be the way to go for this.

I would just use the air nibbler. It's not like that case is going to win any awards for looks ;).

I recently purchased the Inspiron G5 5090 Gaming computer and want to upgrade the power supply from 360 to 460 watts. I have searched Dell's site but have not been able to come up with a part number. Anyone??

your best choice with any dell is to sell it, and get your way out of proprietary case, psu and motherboard land!

I recently purchased the Inspiron G5 5090 Gaming computer and want to upgrade the power supply from 360 to 460 watts. I have searched Dell's site but have not been able to come up with a part number. Anyone??

H500EPM-00

Y7R0X

Back