Dell Alienware AW3423DWF 34″ QD-OLED 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro (3440 x 1440)

This model is now being outclassed by the MSI's which got everything you need for a 34" UW OLED monitor.
How so ? Review seems to indicate its the same panel & near identical, or am I missing something ? (in fact it seems like a worse deal, the MSI is more expensive with no discounts atm, and the bezel is ugly as all hell)

Is there a tweak to force AlienFX to produce white daylight color temperature (6500K)? It would further improve immersion, one that is more beneficial for displays with poor contrast ratio, but still helpful to OLED panels. Is there a way to contact Dell/Alienware about this? I can't find a proper email address for neither customer nor tech support...

Does anyone have an issue with this monitor and RivaTuner causing flickering in games like Rainbow Six: Siege and Assassin's Creed - Valhalla? I use RivaTuner to get the lowest input lag and as such set FPS limit to 162, but it causes visible flickering in some situations. I can't figure out the root cause of the problem, but some games are not affected.

EDIT: False alarm, had nothing to do with monitor!

Last edited:
I picked up the DWF a couple of days ago. I have a LG CX 48 that is still going strong, but I find that I enjoy kicking back with a controller with it and wanted the DWF as my main monitor for desktop tasks and mouse and keyboard games.

The image quality is better than any other monitor I have seen, though my CX 48 looks better. I assumed the QD-OLED would look better, but that really isn't the case. I do need finish tweaking it though. I know for sure the color temp is too yellow.
The text fringing was pretty bad. Way worse than the LG at my normal viewing distance. Mac Type cleared it up though.
I will say that the one thing it has over the LG is the refresh rate. 165hz with oled response times is a noticeably smoother.

I plan on running at 50% brightness in the desktop and cranking it up for games. We shall see how long she lasts. I have thousands of hours of solidworks on the LG at low oled light levels and its fine.
Seeing bad things on reddit though. People complaining of burn-in after 4 months. I hope they are just skipping the 4 hour refresh.

EDIT: Just updated the firmware and calibrated. HDR 1000 with the SDR slider raised looks pretty much as good as the lg other than resolution and the screen being matte. The colors on my wallpaper match pretty close now. HDR seems to be working correctly as well.
Attach files

Last edited:
Dells support site says Alienware Command Center and Dell Display Manager are critical. I haven't been using either one. Should I be?

Dells support site says Alienware Command Center and Dell Display Manager are critical. I haven't been using either one. Should I be?
By Critical they mean if you are already using them then you should update to the version specified, probably due to bugs or security issues.

New Firmware is out. They successfully fixed HDR 1000. It works just like the DW now. It took a while but Dell actually did it.
I can confirm the edid values update properly when switching modes now just like the DW.

A lot of people say the hdr calibration is not needed now but I still found it was clipping without it. I dunno if there is any point using source tone mapping anymore as it seems to behave the same for clipping before calibration. At least it clips close to the values you’d expect now.

Just a heads up if you used CRU like in my workaround to 10bit 144hz using DLDSR at the desktop it will not update the values. You’ll have to reset from CRU and make the changes in whichever mode you prefer to use. Switching is a pita and the best you could probably do is the windows 11 hdr calibration to make a profile for both hdr400 TB and hdr1000 and manually switch those whenever you change modes.

I can confirm the edid values update properly when switching modes now just like the DW.

A lot of people say the hdr calibration is not needed now but I still found it was clipping without it. I dunno if there is any point using source tone mapping anymore as it seems to behave the same for clipping before calibration. At least it clips close to the values you’d expect now.

Just a heads up if you used CRU like in my workaround to 10bit 144hz using DLDSR at the desktop it will not update the values. You’ll have to reset from CRU and make the changes in whichever mode you prefer to use. Switching is a pita and the best you could probably do is the windows 11 hdr calibration to make a profile for both hdr400 TB and hdr1000 and manually switch those whenever you change modes.
That's good to know. So Windows calibrated for 0, 1010, 1010 should give you the best result when running it in HDR1000 ? With what or how are you testing the clipping ?

Perso, I only run it in HDR1000 when not in SDR, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue for those who run it like that. For good measure I checked what CRU was showing with 10bit 120hz DLDSR and the metadata is at 138, 79, 2 as expected.

Do these go on sale often? Looks like it was $899 earlier this month from Dell. I suppose I could see if they have a July 4th sale.

It's a great monitor! I use it exclusively as a content consumption and gaming monitor along side two IPS monitors. That's probably the best setup for OLED longevity. If you can find a good deal along side Rakuten, it's worth it.

I just grabbed it for $999 on Dell's site. I'm going to use it as a primary monitor for gaming and work, so I'm actually mostly interested in just how bad the text rendering could be.

I just grabbed it for $999 on Dell's site. I'm going to use it as a primary monitor for gaming and work, so I'm actually mostly interested in just how bad the text rendering could be.
The text is kind of mediocre. It's acceptable, but subpar because of the PPI and the pixel structure. One thing I don't like about this size and PPI is that text is too small without scaling, and at 125% it's a bit too large and consumes too much real estate. I think I need to scale it to 116% or so, which is possible I guess, but I haven't tried that yet.

We'll it looks like your going to find out. ;) Let us know what you think. I did notice text is not as crisp as on the 27" 1440p monitor it replaced but I was fine with it. I don't use it work/productivity. It's strictly used for web surfing and gaming. As far as gaming I will never go back to a 27" after using this monitor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guestion, has anyone found a guide to get the optimal settings for gaming? I've searched but only found a few but there was no feedback on whether they are actually the best settings.

Last edited:
I'm actually mostly interested in just how bad the text rendering could be
I think the majority of people's brains will tune out the fringing within a couple weeks. When the DW first came out there were many posts about how the fringing magically got better after a couple weeks of use. I can't see it any more unless I really get my eyes right up to the screen. That being said, there are definitely people who can't "unsee" it.

It's harder, impossible, to not see it when you use a multiple display setup; your brain keep comparing the two.

How much better/worse input lag and response time of this model compared to DW which has G-Sync Ultimate module?

Received the monitor, using it now, the text rendering isn't bothering me at all. I hooked it up, updated the firmware, installed the monitor driver in Windows 11, did nothing else. I am coming from a Samsung C32HG70, so maybe the Samsung being a VA panel wasn't great. I'm not coming from some nice IPS monitor, so my point of reference is probably crap. :D The only thing I don't like (I'll get used to it) is that the 32" 16:9 monitor was bigger vertically, so now text is a little smaller, but it's not bad so running it 100% scale is fine. Will game after work.

How much better/worse input lag and response time of this model compared to DW which has G-Sync Ultimate module?
Input lag is lower on the DWF according to Monitor Unboxed review.

Reactions: Xar
like this
I just want to follow up that I still can't tell that text rendering apparently sucks on this monitor, however, I am blind "AF" (as the kids say), so maybe that's contributing. I'm wearing new glasses and sitting just over arm length from the monitor. I've also been using it for work and I've not been annoyed. Maybe if I stop buying computer parts I can get LASIK so I can see what people are complaining about.

Next year: Hmm, RTX 5090 or new eyes?

I just want to follow up that I still can't tell that text rendering apparently sucks on this monitor, however, I am blind "AF" (as the kids say), so maybe that's contributing. I'm wearing new glasses and sitting just over arm length from the monitor. I've also been using it for work and I've not been annoyed. Maybe if I stop buying computer parts I can get LASIK so I can see what people are complaining about.

Next year: Hmm, RTX 5090 or new eyes?
I think it just annoys some people more. Either they are more tuned in to it, or they just like to complain. I don't have this monitor, but I do have a S95B TV which has the same pixel structure and tech. I've gotten up close to it (from couch distance it is too far to see pixels) and ya, you can notice the issues with font hinting that you don't see on a normal RGB square pixel display. However it really isn't a big deal, text is still perfectly readable and looks fine, just not quite as crisp.

Reactions: djoye
like this
I'm on Windows 11, I've found that the Alienware Command Center (awccservice) won't let the flippin' monitor sleep. Google'd, looks like this isn't uncommon. I'm not even sure how that installed.

I think it just annoys some people more. Either they are more tuned in to it, or they just like to complain. I don't have this monitor, but I do have a S95B TV which has the same pixel structure and tech. I've gotten up close to it (from couch distance it is too far to see pixels) and ya, you can notice the issues with font hinting that you don't see on a normal RGB square pixel display. However it really isn't a big deal, text is still perfectly readable and looks fine, just not quite as crisp.
I have to have my face planted to the screen to see what I assume is the issue. Still looking good to me after a few days.

I went from a LG 27UL650-W to this monitor and damn it's freaking amazing. While it's only been a week of using it for both gaming and office work (WFH) these OLED ultrawide panels are game changers. It really is true once you go OLED you never want to go back.

On another note, yeah the Alienware Command Center seems to be keeping the machine go into sleep mode or the monitor to power down. I'm not sure how it got installed... which is slightly concerning.

I went from a LG 27UL650-W to this monitor and damn it's freaking amazing. While it's only been a week of using it for both gaming and office work (WFH) these OLED ultrawide panels are game changers. It really is true once you go OLED you never want to go back.
I dunno... I got a MiniLED display and I have never felt so conflicted about display technology in my life. I mean there has always been tradeoffs, there has never been one "best" but I've always been able to find the one I clearly liked better. But OLED vs FALD MiniLED is just so damn hard. I have an S95B TV, so same basic tech in the panel as the Alienware. I love it, it has been an absolutely superb gaming TV. I wanted to get an HDR gaming monitor too because of my experience with it, for when I can't/don't want to game on the TV. I was seriously looking at one of these monitors, I mean I like the TV, so it makes sense. However, I ended up getting a MiniLED monitor (ASUS PG32UQX) instead as a compromise because of some of the things that worried me about the monitor like burn in possibility, wanting 4k for both displays, and lower HDR brightness than the TV. I expected the monitor to mostly be a compromise, not as good for gaming, but better for desktop.

...and now I am SUPER split on which I like better. The QD-OLED has lightning-fast pixel response times meaning minimal blurring, and per subpixel dimming so super shard and precise HDR, particularly for dark games (there's a scene in Resident Evil Village with glowing eyes in darkness that just shines on it). But the MiniLED display is just so BRIGHT. I didn't think the brightness would matter that much but it does. I mean the S95B has pretty good sustained brightness levels, more than the AW3423D (it seems like the bigger the panel the better they do in that regard), and I figured the extra brightness the ASUS can pull wouldn't really translate to much I would notice in game. I was wrong. Jedi Survivor is just so bright and pretty on the ASUS. Oddly enough, it isn't just in bright scenes either, something I've noticed is that the S95B crushes blacks a bit and just generally seems overly dark in dark areas. There are areas in Survivor where on the OLED I can't really see any details I have to light up my lightsaber to see, whereas on the MiniLED I can still see the surroundings dimly.

I honestly can't decide which I prefer. Both have strongpoints vs the other, and I so wish I could have the best of both worlds. A MiniLED with enough dimming zones really does a pretty spectacular job of HDR.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to shit on QD-OLED displays, they are great, just evangelizing the OTHER great tech out there. I had seen older, low-zone FALD displays in the past and they were "ok" for HDR but OLED just blows them away. However new MiniLED ones with 1000+ zones really are a sight to behold, I didn't realize how good the tech had gotten.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
I dunno... I got a MiniLED display and I have never felt so conflicted about display technology in my life. I mean there has always been tradeoffs, there has never been one "best" but I've always been able to find the one I clearly liked better. But OLED vs FALD MiniLED is just so damn hard. I have an S95B TV, so same basic tech in the panel as the Alienware. I love it, it has been an absolutely superb gaming TV. I wanted to get an HDR gaming monitor too because of my experience with it, for when I can't/don't want to game on the TV. I was seriously looking at one of these monitors, I mean I like the TV, so it makes sense. However, I ended up getting a MiniLED monitor (ASUS PG32UQX) instead as a compromise because of some of the things that worried me about the monitor like burn in possibility, wanting 4k for both displays, and lower HDR brightness than the TV. I expected the monitor to mostly be a compromise, not as good for gaming, but better for desktop.

...and now I am SUPER split on which I like better. The QD-OLED has lightning-fast pixel response times meaning minimal blurring, and per subpixel dimming so super shard and precise HDR, particularly for dark games (there's a scene in Resident Evil Village with glowing eyes in darkness that just shines on it). But the MiniLED display is just so BRIGHT. I didn't think the brightness would matter that much but it does. I mean the S95B has pretty good sustained brightness levels, more than the AW3423D (it seems like the bigger the panel the better they do in that regard), and I figured the extra brightness the ASUS can pull wouldn't really translate to much I would notice in game. I was wrong. Jedi Survivor is just so bright and pretty on the ASUS. Oddly enough, it isn't just in bright scenes either, something I've noticed is that the S95B crushes blacks a bit and just generally seems overly dark in dark areas. There are areas in Survivor where on the OLED I can't really see any details I have to light up my lightsaber to see, whereas on the MiniLED I can still see the surroundings dimly.

I honestly can't decide which I prefer. Both have strongpoints vs the other, and I so wish I could have the best of both worlds. A MiniLED with enough dimming zones really does a pretty spectacular job of HDR.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to shit on QD-OLED displays, they are great, just evangelizing the OTHER great tech out there. I had seen older, low-zone FALD displays in the past and they were "ok" for HDR but OLED just blows them away. However new MiniLED ones with 1000+ zones really are a sight to behold, I didn't realize how good the tech had gotten.
I was strongly considering the Q9 Neo as it's a significnatly larger monitor and could be had for about $300 more than the DWF but between my concern of its foot print on my desk and what i have read about Samsung QC lately I went with the DWF. But damn for 1200 more than the DWF I hope that Asus kills it. Spec wise it sounds like an incredible screen.

I was strongly considering the Q9 Neo as it's a significnatly larger monitor and could be had for about $300 more than the DWF but between my concern of its foot print on my desk and what i have read about Samsung QC lately I went with the DWF. But damn for 1200 more than the DWF I hope that Asus kills it. Spec wise it sounds like an incredible screen.
I mean I can't say it is necessarily "worth" the $1200 more. I'm certainly not going to go around trying to convince everyone that they need to drop $2300 on a display. I was just surprised at how good the MiniLED experience is, and how much I like it as opposed to OLED. I really did expect that it would basically be a compromise, and that I'd end up wanting to game on the OLED primarily, only using it for gaming when needed (mostly when GF is using the TV for gaming). However, in some ways I really prefer it. There are downsides to be sure, this panel in particular has a lot of motion blur on some transitions, but it just amazed me how much I really did appreciate the additional brightness/lack of ABL.

The color also surprised me, it is basically the same as the QD-OLED. The reason, it turns out, is they do it the same way: Rather than white LEDs they use blue ones, and then quantum dots to get the red and green, same as Samsung does with the QD-OLED panels.

It's a tech I'm going to keep much more of an eye on, both for TVs and for monitors. I still think OLED is the long term display tech, they'll slowly work out the brightness issues and its other inherent advantages will end up making it the tech of choice. But for the immediate future, MiniLED has some real strong points. It looks like the cost in the monitor space is slowly coming down too (in the TV space it is about the same for a good MiniLED or good OLED) so it may become more practical for people.

I just found that, like you, when I got my OLED TV said "Man I can never go back." But then I got this monitor and said "Wait, maybe LCD still has some life in it."

Reactions: TMCM
like this
Hello everyone. Just bought DWF in UK for £665 from Dell website.
Switching from LG 42 C2 to this AW monitor and OSD is a joke.
I have the newest firmware M3B104.
In Creator, sRGB' preset gamma 2.2 looks washed out, more like 2.0.
IMG_20231110_091349.jpg

Changing to 2.4 badly crushing blacks. 1-6 blocks in Lagom black level test are invisible.
IMG_20231110_091427.jpg

Console mode with gamma 2.0 kinda works, but colors are locked to native.

Custom Color is my favourite preset with few tweaks.
Gain – here you can adjust white balance, but my sample looks perfect.
Offset – here I fixed black level. By default i couldn’t see 1-3 in Lagom
IMG_20231110_091528.jpg

Increased R,G,B to 52,52,52%
Now I can see from block 2 and I'm finally happy with gamma.
IMG_20231110_091605.jpg

After this i had to lower contrast from 75 to 74 to avoid 253 clipping in Lagom White saturation.

Saturation – lowered all channels RGBCMY from default 50 to 40,35,40,40,40,40%
Now the colors looks similar to my Philips 288E2A, so ~120% sRGB.
I know this is not accurate, but I personally like a little bit of extra saturation in SDR, but definitely not full OLED gamut. In LG C2 i also liked native gamut in SDR, but lowered color from default 55 to 45 in game optimizer.

Tim from Monitor Unboxed said that HDR after M3B104 is now great on Nvidia GPUs, and don't have to use Source tone mapping anymore.
Unfortunately this is not correct, he probably didn't test many games, but i found 3 games straight away.
Resident Evil 2,3,7
If you disable source tone mapping highlights are very dim and max brightness slider max to the right and still not clipping white.
IMG_20231109_204622.jpg

Source tone mapping on is fixing this problem in all games.
IMG_20231109_204639.jpg

Also in HDR1000 there is small difference near black, source tone mapping On has slightly darker shadows.

I wish Dell could improve the OSD in future updates.
Give us source tone mapping option outside of console mode and User preset with access to all controls at the same time.
Or unlock all controls like Gain, offset, hue and Saturation in Console Mode.

$250 IPS Philips 288E2A has access to all controls in every preset!

I can also confirm that PS5 is working great with this monitor.
IMG_20231109_231551.jpg

IMG_20231109_231349.jpg

1440p, HDR, 120Hz and VRR without HDMI 2.1

Last edited:
Had to end up RMA mine. After the first full panel refresh the thing would pretty consistently refuse to come out of standby requiring me to hard power cycle it by pulling the cable.

The panel otherwise has been operating great though. No burn in to report other than the line due to most video content being 16:9, but it was a very slight line on each side only noticeable with that very certain tone of gray.

Thank god there is 3 years warranty for that. What brightness level you use, and did you play a lot of HDR in 16:9?
I have my monitor in SDR most of the time 40% brightness ~100nits. Hopefully this will slow down any burn in.

Thank god there is 3 years warranty for that. What brightness level you use, and did you play a lot of HDR in 16:9?
I have my monitor in SDR most of the time 40% brightness ~100nits. Hopefully this will slow down any burn in.
It's really not noticeable for the 16:9 lines. Doesn't matter the brightness - It's basically unavoidable over time since so much video content gets letterboxed like that.

I know it's unavoidable if you mostly run 16:9 content. Also pixel shifting should help here. Some people use zoom to fill chrome extensions for videos as well.

edit

View: https://youtu.be/Fa7V_OOu6B8?t=8m54s

Very extreme test, to play 700h of CNN on 21:9 PC monitor in full brightness.

Last edited:
I just got my DWF a week ago. I'm not babying it, not hiding taskbar, etc. If it burns in then I guess Dell will send me a new one under warranty LOL

I think the burn-in fear is overhyped. I’ve bought five LG OLED TVs and only one of them had anything remotely resembling burn-in.

The difference between and LCD is night and day. It’s like upgrading from mechanical hard drives to SSDs in gaming.

FFD6A92F-43D3-4406-9C2D-B3D86773A5EC.jpeg

OLED @165-175Hz has similar motion clarity to fast LCD @240hz.
It's like free performance.😉
AW3423-DW-blur-120-Hz.jpg

AW3423-DW-blur-175-Hz.jpg

I just bought this monitor. Are any of you using yours with a monitor arm?

Which arm did you buy and how did it work out?

Back