Dell Alienware AW3423DWF 34″ QD-OLED 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro (3440 x 1440)

The EDR profile will be off significantly as it’s for WRGB and even that’s not very accurate with panel variance and different generations of WRGB. It can measure the luminance up to 1000 nits but everything else will be incorrect without a spectro to profile first. You will likely shift the colours and white point to worse than ootb calibration. On a budget you can get good results with the i1Basic Pro 3 for profiling. I’m mulling over purchasing one myself to correct the black crush on my c1 as I don’t have access to the goodies at my old work place anymore.

That is why I wanted to see some numbers from someone who already performed measurements and compared spectrophotometer results against results from a colorimeter. I never had any i1Display Pro measurement results that were vastly different when compared against i1Pro 3 measurement results, but I never measured OLED/QD-OLED displays before.

I use DisplayCAL and it has an online database of user corrections matrixes for specific display models. Such correction matrixes should not be used for actual measurements and calibration because each display unit needs its own profiling, but that database can be used to see how much of a difference exists between reported colorimeter and spectrophotometer measurement results. For now there aren't any correction matrixes for this model.

That is why I wanted to see some numbers from someone who already performed measurements and compared spectrophotometer results against results from a colorimeter. I never had any i1Display Pro measurement results that were vastly different when compared against i1Pro 3 measurement results, but I never measured OLED/QD-OLED displays before.

I use DisplayCAL and it has an online database of user corrections matrixes for specific display models. Such correction matrixes should not be used for actual measurements and calibration because each display unit needs its own profiling, but that database can be used to see how much of a difference exists between reported colorimeter and spectrophotometer measurement results. For now there aren't any correction matrixes for this model.
Fairly sure I remember from the avsforums that displayCAL db has the DW which should be about as close as you can get before panel variance. Might be worth a try if you feel like eyeballing the results.

Same numbers at 400 or 1000. Seems like the monitor is not passing the information it should when switching modes. This may explains the "bug" with default tone mapping with nvidia gpus and HDR 1000.

I have a friend with the DWF who might be getting a 7900XTX. If he does, I'll ask him to check some of these things.
Seen a few threads on Reddit pop up over the last few days about it and seems like everyone with a dwf is confirming 520-530 in hdr calibration on w11 vs 1050-1060 on the dw when using hdr1000. Some speculation it might be nvidia specific or a firmware bug but nothing concrete I’ve seen posted yet.

Edit: for reference a DW user replied with their values from dxdiag:
HDR400 True Black: Min Luminance = 0.000000, Max Luminance = 426.859802, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 253.818100
HDR1000: Min Luminance = 0.000000, Max Luminance = 1060.228516, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 253.818100

Last edited:
Tom's review showed the screen hitting 1012.6587 cd/m2 in his review so this seems like a bug to me. Can you point me to the reddit post where this is been discussed ?

Tom's review showed the screen hitting 1012.6587 cd/m2 in his review so this seems like a bug to me. Can you point me to the reddit post where this is been discussed ?
These are the most recent two I remember seeing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/ze6jsl/aw3423dwf_hdr_calibration_questions/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/zcii74/aw3423dwf_peak_brightness_500_nits/

It clearly goes brighter in highlights when I switch to hdr 1000 regardless of the EDID values but I assume that is whatever tone mapping it’s doing.

This may be worth making a post on Dell support forum so it can brought up to the team in charge of the firmware. Like you, I have a feeling most of the issues (its not like there's a lot) with the DWF are all linked to this bug.

This may be worth making a post on Dell support forum so it can brought up to the team in charge of the firmware. Like you, I have a feeling most of the issues (its not like there's a lot) with the DWF are all linked to this bug.
Just an fyi to all, contacted dell support, take a look, looks like they are aware of all issues and they are in the process of being corrected
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:11:39 AM): Thank you for contacting Dell Basic warranty support, My name is Saif. How are you doing today?
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:12:00 AM): Good how about yourself
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:12:52 AM): Glad to know that, I'm doing well thanks for asking.
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:12:58 AM): Can you confirm that the system you need support with is AW3423DWF with Service Tag : ?
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:13:11 AM): That is correct!
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:13:48 AM): If we get disconnected from this chat, can I reach you at or email you at Also specify the best time to reach with time zone, in case of a follow-up
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:14:41 AM): yes thats good, and anytime 9am to 6pm est time
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:14:55 AM): Thank you for confirming
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:15:13 AM): Can you please elaborate the issue?
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:16:53 AM): There is an issue on the AW3423DWF vs the AW3423DW where the EOTF range in HDR1000 mode is not accurate, also HDR1000 Mode does not properly report to windows 11 that the display is capable of peak brightness of 1000 nits, the AW3423DW is capable of this. There is some sort of bug in the firmware in this new model. I have confirmed with dozens of people online that they see the same issue Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:18:05 AM): This display only reports to windows that it is capable of peak brightness of 465 nits when in hdr1000 mode. While the other model shows the correct 1000 nits in windows 11
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:18:27 AM): I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Let's work together to ensure a quick resolution.
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:18:41 AM): Please allow me a moment
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:18:48 AM): Sure thing thank you
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:20:22 AM): Your welcome
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:24:58 AM): Just to confirm to which monito are you comparing with? SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:25:05 AM): monitor*
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:25:08 AM): I have the AW3423DWF Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:25:25 AM): im comparing to the same monitor but the GSYNC variant the AW3423DW
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:25:41 AM): both are the same panel and have same features minus the gsync module
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:25:56 AM): Is dell aware of this issue and is a firmware update being worked on to fix this issue Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:26:58 AM): otherwise i fell like the monitor is not as advertised as it stands, i do know that this seems to be something that can be fixed in firmware
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:29:10 AM): Alright let me get in touch with my internal team.
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:29:57 AM): That would be great! Thank you, sorry i know this is a bit of information dump and appreciate your help!
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:30:19 AM): Can you please help the link where you saw this "issue" reported?
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:30:41 AM): sure hold on
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:30:50 AM): Thank you
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:31:17 AM): this shows the innacurate eotf curve in hdr 1000
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:31:19 AM): https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/alienware-aw3423dwf/5
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:31:31 AM): scroll down to grayscale, eotf and color to see the first diagram
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:32:05 AM): Ok I am checking at the investigation reports and there is an issue with colors being washed, hdr and detection as well over this model of monitor. There is no resolution yet but seems that its being escalated already
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:32:06 AM): forum discussing the issue
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:32:07 AM): https://hardforum.com/threads/dell-...eesync-premium-pro-3440-x-1440.2022990/page-3 Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:32:24 AM): here is the inncorecct reporting in windows 11
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:32:25 AM): https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/zcii74/aw3423dwf_peak_brightness_500_nits/
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:32:53 AM): are they also aware of the eotf curve issue?
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:33:49 AM): https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/ze6jsl/aw3423dwf_hdr_calibration_questions/ this also mentions the wrong reporting bug in windows 11
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:33:58 AM): Yes as per the issues the internal team has already under investigation.
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:34:16 AM): can you confirm that EOTF is specifically on the list?
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:34:25 AM): and if so, how long do they expect to take for a resolution Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:34:50 AM): i just bought this monitor, so im still in my return window, but dont want to return it if there will be a firmware fix soon
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:34:52 AM): Tyler at the moment no ETA for it
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:35:19 AM): But the internal team is already working on it
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:35:29 AM): ok, so it looks like it will be fixed then?
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:35:36 AM): Yes
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:35:51 AM): If it is not fixed and its over my 14 day return window, can i still return the monitor
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:36:04 AM): did you confirm they specifcally know about the eotf issue
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:37:17 AM): Yes if you will to return the monitor than you can contact our customer care team - 800-624-9897 they will help you with the issue.
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:37:32 AM): even if its based 14 days?
Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:37:59 AM): ok so the internal team knows about the eotf issue, if not can you please pass that information off to them
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:39:18 AM): Tyler if you want to return the monitor you can contact our customer care team As per the return policy you can return the monitor within 30 days.
SAIF S (12/9/2022, 11:39:30 AM): And yes the internal team is working on it. Tyler (12/9/2022, 11:39:45 AM): Awesome thats all i needed to know

Does anyone think manually changing the values in cru would correct this issue, if i just match the min max and maxfullframe luminance, theoretically it should match up one to one no? and i would assume testing that in the windows hdr calibrator would work

Does anyone think manually changing the values in cru would correct this issue, if i just match the min max and maxfullframe luminance, theoretically it should match up one to one no? and i would assume testing that in the windows hdr calibrator would work
I haven’t tried it yet as w11 and nvcp is pretty fickle and bugs out making changes in CRU frequently but I doubt it. Based on the w11 hdr calibration app hitting the same numbers in 1000 and 400 the tone mapping curve is probably wrong in the firmware. Sounds like dell has lumped the issues together with hdr 1000 eotf curve being wrong and washing some games out.

Yah, seems like they have internal reports of this, so it should end up with the right team, and hopefully they will be working on a firmware fix for it. It would help if other high profile reviewers could get their hands on the DWF and report the issue to Alienware.

He didn't really answer you about the return windows though, but that's too be expected with this level of support. I wouldn't trust them to allow you to return it outside the usual return windows.

I haven’t tried it yet as w11 and nvcp is pretty fickle and bugs out making changes in CRU frequently but I doubt it. Based on the w11 hdr calibration app hitting the same numbers in 1000 and 400 the tone mapping curve is probably wrong in the firmware. Sounds like dell has lumped the issues together with hdr 1000 eotf curve being wrong and washing some games out.
Well I just got home from work. I did add custom values to show the same values in both DXDiag as well as in windows advanced display settings show a max of 1060 nits. I had dx diag report .00020 min, 1060 max and 273 maxfull. You are correct. Did nothing in being correct in the calibration tool. I'm just nervous about them not correcting it at all or not being able to in firmware and then im stuck with the monitor where the hdr 1000 eotf is a disaster. I don't mind spending the extra cash for the DW. I don't have a console that I'm going to plug in. So ps5 mode doesn't matter to me. I really bought this for the QD oled and the fact that it has hdr peak 1000. Idk if waiting is even a safe bet. You think they actually can fix the eotf curve?

Yah, seems like they have internal reports of this, so it should end up with the right team, and hopefully they will be working on a firmware fix for it. It would help if other high profile reviewers could get their hands on the DWF and report the issue to Alienware.

He didn't really answer you about the return windows though, but that's too be expected with this level of support. I wouldn't trust them to allow you to return it outside the usual return windows.
I agree, sadly I think I might return it in a week or two if firmware doesn't show up. I'm not even confident firmware can fix this issue. Kinda bummed after I saved up for this thing. I don't mind throwing an extra 200 at the normal DW

If you have a good panel without damage or defects but are set on hdr1000 it’s a tough call. Eotf curve and edid values are entirely firmware so it’s fixable but who knows how long it’ll take dell or if they mess anything else up in the process.

I suppose there is always charge back option if you want to roll the dice on waiting. One other thing with Dell is you might be able to get a partial refund to keep it. Any time I’ve done returns they’ve transferred me to another department which tried to buy me out negotiating partial refunds. I had two IPS ultrasharps they offered me $350 per unit to keep after starting at a piddly $50 but they had major image persistence issues and it wasn’t worth it. YMMV but I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered something either for packaging scratches or the hdr 1000 firmware issues.

I’m fine with hdr 400 true black myself so I’ll probably be keeping it but these kind of bugs don’t inspire much confidence nor did the standby issue with the DW originally. Then again the g8 seems like a terrible alternative with ASBL we can’t disable and it’s own eotf issues much like the s95b firmware. On the upside you get 22 point calibration and cms on the g8.

Last edited:
Did you try turning on Source Tone Map ? It should give you good results when using HDR 1000 in most instances. I wish Tom would of reran his measurement with Source Tone Map on...

Honestly I would be surprise if they do not fix it. They do have upgradable firmware afterall. Tom Hardware clearly showing it as a bug as well as Linus in his video gives me hope it got enough exposure for a fix. I don't expect it will appear sooner than later though.

Did you try turning on Source Tone Map ? It should give you good results when using HDR 1000 in most instances. I wish Tom would of reran his measurement with Source Tone Map on...

Honestly I would be surprise if they do not fix it. They do have upgradable firmware afterall. Tom Hardware clearly showing it as a bug as well as Linus in his video gives me hope it got enough exposure for a fix. I don't expect it will appear sooner than later though.
Just eyeballing it source tone mapping in hdr1000 only seems to adjust the fall off vs clipping behaviour. Low and mid tones seem significantly raised still just like the eotf chart Toms posted for it. Honestly was shocking in d2r just how much it lifts near black to the point the APL looked brighter than 400 even with ABL being more aggressive. I’m guessing those with the washed out colours is something more with the edid values and how the games auto calibrate with it? I haven’t actually run into that one yet.

I hope Vincent gets a dwf and reviews it. Pretty sure something like this is something he’d deep dive into.

Edit: lol apparently it’s shipping with the wrong power plug in the UK?
https://reddit.com/r/ultrawidemaste...aw3423dwf_owners_in_the_uk_plug_is_eu_not_uk/

Dell sure seems a bit sloppy.

Last edited:
Just eyeballing it source tone mapping in hdr1000 only seems to adjust the fall off vs clipping behaviour. Low and mid tones seem significantly raised still just like the eotf chart Toms posted for it. Honestly was shocking in d2r just how much it lifts near black to the point the APL looked brighter than 400 even with ABL being more aggressive. I’m guessing those with the washed out colours is something more with the edid values and how the games auto calibrate with it? I haven’t actually run into that one yet.

I hope Vincent gets a dwf and reviews it. Pretty sure something like this is something he’d deep dive into.

Edit: lol apparently it’s shipping with the wrong power plug in the UK?
https://reddit.com/r/ultrawidemaste...aw3423dwf_owners_in_the_uk_plug_is_eu_not_uk/

Dell sure seems a bit sloppy.
Yes, from what I can tell it just address clipping in the higher range. the blacks and mids are still slightly elevated. shame.

I hope he does but it may not happen since the panels are sooooo similar. I literally use his advice on every panel purchase. Guy knows his stuff.

I saw that, apparently that guy just got an Arabic version of the monitor. Everyone else got the normal uk variant. Though it wouldn't surprise me. Dell was forgetting to pack people's stands in the DW so who knows.

I just hope firmware fixes this. I'd be so bummed having this monitor with these issues that could be addressed in software. It obviously isn't a panel issue since it's literally the same panel.

If you have a good panel without damage or defects but are set on hdr1000 it’s a tough call. Eotf curve and edid values are entirely firmware so it’s fixable but who knows how long it’ll take dell or if they mess anything else up in the process.

I suppose there is always charge back option if you want to roll the dice on waiting. One other thing with Dell is you might be able to get a partial refund to keep it. Any time I’ve done returns they’ve transferred me to another department which tried to buy me out negotiating partial refunds. I had two IPS ultrasharps they offered me $350 per unit to keep after starting at a piddly $50 but they had major image persistence issues and it wasn’t worth it. YMMV but I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered something either for packaging scratches or the hdr 1000 firmware issues.

I’m fine with hdr 400 true black myself so I’ll probably be keeping it but these kind of bugs don’t inspire much confidence nor did the standby issue with the DW originally. Then again the g8 seems like a terrible alternative with ASBL we can’t disable and it’s own eotf issues much like the s95b firmware. On the upside you get 22 point calibration and cms on the g8.
I think In the end no monitor or tv is ever going to be perfect. I just there was just one manufacturer that gave a little bit of a damn and just made everything as advertised.

I got burned years ago by Samsung with a TV I bought. Was 4k and was supposed to support 4:4:4 but didn't and the only way you could get it to display it was if you bought a one connect box. They told me over the phone multiple times that a firmware update was coming out to fix the issue. And then finally said well after my return period. Oops sorry give us another 300 and your tv can work as advertised.

Now that is interesting! I wish some reviewers could do some more advance measurements with an AMD card.

After 23 years with NVIDIA, this makes me pause; 7900XTX is starting to look attractive. Personally, the DW is not an option because of the fan noise and strange delays when switching in and out of HDR. The DWF fixed all the quirks I saw on the DW. I'll be happy to wait and hope for a firmware fix, else I might consider to finally get out of Nvidia closed ecosystem.

BTW, have you tried lowering the contrast to 68 ? Some random person mentionned that this gave him access to the full 1000nit of the monitor when calibrating.

Last edited:
Now that is interesting! I wish some reviewers could do some more advance measurements with an AMD card.

After 23 years with NVIDIA, this makes me pause; 7900XTX is starting to look attractive. Personally, the DW is not an option because of the fan noise and strange delays when switching in and out of HDR. The DWF fixed all the quirks I saw on the DW. I'll be happy to wait and hope for a firmware fix, else I might consider to finally get out of Nvidia closed ecosystem.

BTW, have you tried lowering the contrast to 68 ? Some random person mentionned that this gave him access to the full 1000nit of the monitor when calibrating.
I did this, however it blows out details like you wouldn't believe. When at the end of the calibration the sun in the right corner is just one giant mass of light

I did this, however it blows out details like you wouldn't believe. When at the end of the calibration the sun in the right corner is just one giant mass of light
Not an option then. Although one could argue that's more real life looking! I jest I jest.

Not an option then. Although one could argue that's more real life looking! I jest I jest.
Are you the same draver mentioned in this post https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...w3423dwf_appears_to_support_10bit_rgb_165_hz/

Another user in that thread about AMD cards tonemapping correctly mentioned he had a 3080 and followed your steps to show 10 bits in windows at 165 hz though it shows 8 bits in NVCP. Can you post the customer resolution settings you used to show the 10 bit value in windows. Im trying to see something regarding the reporting of Nits in windows 11. User in that thread claims that when he did that it showed 1000 nits in windows 11. Want to give it a shot on my end. See if there is a possible workaround or something. I think im starting to lean to returning the monitor. I just dont know if this is something that is fixable, theoretically it is, but who knows lol.

Are you the same draver mentioned in this post https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...w3423dwf_appears_to_support_10bit_rgb_165_hz/

Another user in that thread about AMD cards tonemapping correctly mentioned he had a 3080 and followed your steps to show 10 bits in windows at 165 hz though it shows 8 bits in NVCP. Can you post the customer resolution settings you used to show the 10 bit value in windows. Im trying to see something regarding the reporting of Nits in windows 11. User in that thread claims that when he did that it showed 1000 nits in windows 11. Want to give it a shot on my end. See if there is a possible workaround or something. I think im starting to lean to returning the monitor. I just dont know if this is something that is fixable, theoretically it is, but who knows lol.
I am the same yes. User Marfoo is the one who stumbled on these steps to have Windows show 10 bits at 165Hz. It's still not clear if this actually works, or if it's just a display bug.

Basically, with DLDSR disabled, HDR enabled, just go in NVIDIA control panel, under Change resolution, click on customize and add a custom resolution. Keep everything at default, except the Timing at CVT-RB. Apply it and your Windows should show the monitor running at 10 bit and 165 Hz. I'm still on Windows 10, so I can't confirm the 1000nit part, but I did see that same picture I think you saw on Reddit.

Note that when you do this, there's no coming back (I haven't found one anyway). Only way to reset it is to use DDU to clear everything and reinstall your drivers.

I am the same yes. User Marfoo is the one who stumbled on these steps to have Windows show 10 bits at 165Hz. It's still not clear if this actually works, or if it's just a display bug.

Basically, with DLDSR disabled, HDR enabled, just go in NVIDIA control panel, under Change resolution, click on customize and add a custom resolution. Keep everything at default, except the Timing at CVT-RB. Apply it and your Windows should show the monitor running at 10 bit and 165 Hz. I'm still on Windows 10, so I can't confirm the 1000nit part, but I did see that same picture I think you saw on Reddit.

Note that when you do this, there's no coming back (I haven't found one anyway). Only way to reset it is to use DDU to clear everything and reinstall your drivers.
Tried it for whatever reason not showing 10 bit in windows, maybe that glitch got fixed? Hard to tell. This whole thing seems odd. I think I'm just gonna keep the monitor. The hdr 1000 mode still looks pretty good to my eyes imo. Idk ugh Im feeling the fomo

I'm keeping mine for sure. Even if Dell doesn't fix/improve this with a firmware update (considering all the reports I would be very surprise if they don't), we can easily calibrate each game to our liking and as you said it still looks good. Some games/content look better in HDR 1000, others in True Black 400. DW or DWF, you'd still have to choose your preferred HDR setting and calibrate the thing per game anyway. Perso, so far I mostly kept it in TB 400 except for one show I watched which looked better in HDR 1000. I'll run Cyberpunk at 1000 also, once I get to finish my play through.

Last edited:
I'm keeping mine for sure. Even if Dell doesn't fix/improve this with a firmware update (considering all the reports I would be very surprise if they don't), we can easily calibrate each game to our liking and as you said it still looks good. Some games/content look better in HDR 1000, others in True Black 400. DW or DWF, you'd still have to choose your preferred HDR setting and calibrate the thing per game anyway. Perso, so far I mostly kept it in TB 400 except for one show I watched which looked better in HDR 1000. I'll run Cyberpunk at 1000 also, once I get to finish my play through.
Yea I think you're right, just a heads up Hellblade Senuas sacrifice look beyond amazing in hdr on this panel. I was playing it a bit and man when they focus on her face and the rest of the screen goes black. It's amazing looking.

Yea I think you're right, just a heads up Hellblade Senuas sacrifice look beyond amazing in hdr on this panel. I was playing it a bit and man when they focus on her face and the rest of the screen goes black. It's amazing looking.
I'll check it out! It's on game pass and I've had it on my to play list for a while.

So I tried installing dell’s inf driver for the monitor and now I see the same thing as the OP of that thread. Perhaps he just had the driver installed?

Even more interesting if I run calibration now with or without source tone mapping I clip at 620 for max luminance and 540 for max full frame luminance… in hdr 400 true black and hdr 1000. Strange.

Stranger yet I’m back to hdr calibration crashing before it can save the profile! Ugh.

Edit: rebooted and it’s not crashing at calibration anymore… but unlike prior runs advanced display doesn’t show the calibrated value for peak brightness anymore?

Edit 2: …and suddenly the calibrated peak brightness appears under advanced. Dunno why it didn’t show initially.

Attachments

• 2BEA9513-3EA4-4D27-984F-44E57402F91A.png
    2BEA9513-3EA4-4D27-984F-44E57402F91A.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So I tried installing dell’s inf driver for the monitor and now I see the same thing as the OP of that thread. Perhaps he just had the driver installed?

Even more interesting if I run calibration now with or without source tone mapping I clip at 620 for max luminance and 540 for max full frame luminance… in hdr 400 true black and hdr 1000. Strange.

Stranger yet I’m back to hdr calibration crashing before it can save the profile! Ugh.

Edit: rebooted and it’s not crashing at calibration anymore… but unlike prior runs advanced display doesn’t show the calibrated value for peak brightness anymore?
On Windows 10, it automatically installed the driver I guess as I have version 1.0.0.0, 8/8/2022 from Dell Inc.

I'll check it out! It's on game pass and I've had it on my to play list for a while.

So what steps did you take exactly to get it to clip at 620? Can you try to go step by step and recreate this? Wanna see if i can make it happen on my end. Seems definetly bugged. I mean its only been out for a month, but still STRANGE

So what steps did you take exactly to get it to clip at 620? Can you try to go step by step and recreate this? Wanna see if i can make it happen on my end. Seems definetly bugged. I mean its only been out for a month, but still STRANGE
All I did was download and install the driver from dell then reran hdr calibration just out of curiosity based on the Reddit thread where someone claimed 1020 for clipping but was surprised to see 620/540 where it was previously consistently 530/530. It promptly crashed before saving so I rebooted then opened colour management to remove previous profiles from calibration and make sure dell’s icc didn’t install with the drivers. Promptly tried again with the same results but no crash saving the profile.

Contrast still at default 75 in the OSD so I can’t imagine why it would differ.

Do you have the driver installed?

On Windows 10, it automatically installed the driver I guess as I have version 1.0.0.0, 8/8/2022 from Dell Inc.

I have automatic software installs for hardware disabled on w11 but eh never needed drivers for a display before.

Oct 10th dating from dell website:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=wfrgk

Looks like there is a firmware bug with the power LED on the DWF when set to off for both standby and powered on. Four occasions now I’ve had it blink green without end in standby (timed up to 30 minutes before interrupting it). In 3 of the 4 occasions panel health was green so it either completed the refresh or didn’t need one and once it was yellow.

Since setting it back to blink white in standby this hasn’t occurred again.

Looks like I’m not the only one running into this either:
https://reddit.com/r/ultrawidemaste...23dwf_power_button_keeps_blinking_forever_on/

I got it on off for powered on only, on in standby, and haven't ran into that problem either.

I got it on off for powered on only, on in standby, and haven't ran into that problem either.
I’d be curious if you set it off for both if you see the same behaviour.

I tried setting 1000 in calibration like a few people on Reddit were doing ignoring the cross pattern and wow does it it clip and blow out highlights bad. Tone mapping is definitely borked in hdr 1000.

Still a mystery why I can hit 620 with the driver though. I do see an update recently for the calibration app so perhaps it wasn’t the drivers? I’d expect everyone could hit 620 then though.

I’d be curious if you set it off for both if you see the same behaviour.

I tried setting 1000 in calibration like a few people on Reddit were doing ignoring the cross pattern and wow does it it clip and blow out highlights bad. Tone mapping is definitely borked in hdr 1000.

Still a mystery why I can hit 620 with the driver though. I do see an update recently for the calibration app so perhaps it wasn’t the drivers? I’d expect everyone could hit 620 then though.
Sure I just set it to off in both. We'll see what happens.

About HDR 1000, so this means that what the calibration app is showing you is true. That's a good benchmark then, for future firmware/driver updates or just for testing various settings. Speaking of settings, I remembered running into a strange behaviour where the screen gamma/ blow out highlights seemed to behave differently when turning on Source Tone Mapping depending if I put the screen preset mode to Standard or Creator mode prior to switching it on. I know it shouldn't make any difference and it might of just been a quirk, but I wonder if there is a possible path around this issue there.

I'm going to have to switch to Win 11 so I can try this calibration thing as well!

Edit: Putting my screen on a 2 mins standby, it didn't do it; even after going in standby 3 times. I'll keep it like this tonight, see if it starts doing it after going through a screen refresh.
Edit 2: Yes it did it after the panel refresh. Came back to it this morning and it was still blinking green.

Last edited:
Sure I just set it to off in both. We'll see what happens.

About HDR 1000, so this means that what the calibration app is showing you is true. That's a good benchmark then, for future firmware/driver updates or just for testing various settings. Speaking of settings, I remembered running into a strange behaviour where the screen gamma/ blow out highlights seemed to behave differently when turning on Source Tone Mapping depending if I put the screen preset mode to Standard or Creator mode prior to switching it on. I know it shouldn't make any difference and it might of just been a quirk, but I wonder if there is a possible path around this issue there.

I'm going to have to switch to Win 11 so I can try this calibration thing as well!

Edit: Putting my screen on a 2 mins standby, it didn't do it; even after going in standby 3 times. I'll keep it like this tonight, see if it starts doing it after going through a screen refresh.
I only encountered it four times in about two weeks so I’m not sure you’ll see it pop up too quickly.

I was wondering about issues switching in the osd and did a factory reset a couple times but haven’t observed any differences. If you can narrow that one down I’ll try reproducing it.

For the most part w11 has be uneventful here. Some weird hard locks and bsods I couldn’t pinpoint to anything specific but no worse than the occasional kernel panic macOS encounters on my mbp. My only real beef is we lost switching virtual surround on and off from the system tray and have to dig into the settings app. I curse creative to the end of days not letting us have two sound devices or a toggle button at least for headphones on the x7. Switching between speakers and headphones is just a chore if you use atmos or sonic.

Well now this is interesting:
https://reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/zkjt1e/alienware_aw3423dwf_lets_talk_settings_and/

Someone with the DWF is reporting clipping in hdr calibration at 1300 in both hdr 1000 and 400 true black with contrast at default 75. Unless there are units shipping with newer firmware now makes me think maybe there is some osd order of operations to run into the firmware bugs or at least some sort of condition to make things bug out?
What is up with this monitor lol. Im guessing if this guy was able to do it with his monitor that there must be something bugged in the way everyone is doing this

I only encountered it four times in about two weeks so I’m not sure you’ll see it pop up too quickly.
Yes it did it after the panel refresh. Came back to it this morning and it was still blinking green. Bug confirmed.

Back