Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34″ QD-OLED 175Hz (3440 x 1440)

Blacks do not appear grey at all in person although I only have a single 60W equivalent LED bulb in my room's light fixture with a couple other low power bounce lights in the room.

The monitor doesn't have an antiglare coating, it has an AR coating, and it isn't remotely matte. Very glossy. Reflection handling is the best I've ever seen on a display this glossy. I was actually somewhat concerned that because blacks are black and the screen is glossy that I'd end up staring at myself in the reflection like I have with previous glossy monitors, but this is not the case. It's just black.

Guys, this is easily the best PC-related purchase I have ever made. If you're on the fence and you have the money, just do it. You won't regret it.
When talking about anti-glare/ anti-reflections, its the same thing. And im not talking about when the screen is in a dark room. Im talking about when there is a lot of light trapped by the screens coating as seen in the video. Is it your video?

US/Canada order pages are both showing delivery dates around end of April now so yea if you were hoping to get this I would not wait lol, who knows what the delivery dates will be by end of day.

I ordered this with expedited 1 day shipping on March 7. Was supposed to arrive today, March 9. Got an e-mail last night saying it is delayed til tomorrow. Still hasn't shipped.
Shows "In Production" when I look at the website.
I've played this game before several times with Dell before and lost. I suspect this gets cancelled.

If this doesn't ship, I'm just going to buy the LG 42" 4K OLED that is soon to be released instead.

Thanks for the heads up on the coupon code - I canceled and re-ordered with the discount. Shows estimated ship date of tomorrow with 3/14 arrival.

Still worried about fan noise but I've been waiting for an OLED monitor for so long that I just have to give it a try.

Still worried about fan noise but I've been waiting for an OLED monitor for so long that I just have to give it a try.
I haven't heard the fan at all on mine. If you told me there wasn't a fan, I would believe you. It must be very faint if it was making any noise.

Thanks for the heads up on the coupon code - I canceled and re-ordered with the discount. Shows estimated ship date of tomorrow with 3/14 arrival.

I haven't heard the fan at all on mine. If you told me there wasn't a fan, I would believe you. It must be very faint if it was making any noise.
FWIW, my AW3821DW also has a fan on the G-Sync 2 module and I cannot hear it at all from where I sit.

TIL - "the Alienware 34 showed a peak brightness of 299.5 nits (candelas per square meter) "
I always knew what a nit was, just didn't know this is the unit of measurement it was based off of.

US link is no longer marked "Sold Out". This was true 5 minutes ago anyway.

300 nit peak SDR brightness is excellent honestly, better than expected. The 677 nits on an 18% window in HDR sounds basically what I expected, not bad.

There are some curious oddities in that review...for instance, my picture mode hasn't changed once on it's own, in SDR or HDR, and my custom color mode was already at 100, 100, 100 out of the box (and looks identical to standard in HDR, at least to my eye).

Not sure if them using AWCC was messing with things (I got rid of it since it was keeping my displays awake no matter what I tried short of killing it's processes), a different firmware version, or they're just idiots.

Suggesting that VA FALD ultrawide comes close to this though certainly has me leaning towards the latter option though :p

300 nits is pretty good. 250 would be pushing 'acceptable'. That's good news.

Mine arrived

23A4A540-BB01-40A3-8514-A2CBB1D9D9BA.jpeg

Big warning for co-console gamers on PS5/XSX, from Verge : "Neither console supports 21:9 aspect ratio, just 16:9, so the output resolution of the AW3423DW tops out at 2,560 x 1,440 on the Series X. In other words, you’ll have vertical black bars on the sides of the picture. Another wrinkle with the Xbox is that Dell says these new consoles can’t output HDR at QHD resolution, so your image may not be as vibrant as you’d like. And since the PS5 doesn’t support QHD resolution, you’ll probably just see a 1080p image in 16:9 aspect ratio. All of this to say, console gamers should probably just get a 4K OLED TV if they really want to appreciate those consoles. They were actually built for that kind of display. "

-.-

I am so split here. On the one hand I literally just purchased one of the 38" monitors like a year and a half ago and I love it. It feels really foolish to replace that thing when it is still an absolute banger of a monitor. It feels extremely wasteful to buy something new so soon. Plus I'd miss the extra resolution.

...on the other hand I love HDR when done well and this sound like it would be pretty superb. Plus no pixel transition blur.

I shouldn't, but I think I'm going to give Dell more of my money.

-.-

I am so split here. On the one hand I literally just purchased one of the 38" monitors like a year and a half ago and I love it. It feels really foolish to replace that thing when it is still an absolute banger of a monitor. It feels extremely wasteful to buy something new so soon. Plus I'd miss the extra resolution.

...on the other hand I love HDR when done well and this sound like it would be pretty superb. Plus no pixel transition blur.

IMO I'd say jump in and give it a try. Depending you can sell the 38" or return the QD. Maybe even keep as a "stacked" configuration of sorts.

Heard some people who initially got a "Delayed" e-mail are now receiving "Canceled" due to pricing error

Heard some people who initially got a "Delayed" e-mail are now receiving "Canceled" due to pricing error
Yep. Mine was just cancelled.

At least they didn’t drag it out.

I’m not reordering. I’m taking it for a nudge I should just buy the LG 42” instead.

1646866995269.jpeg

-.-

I also bought the 38” Alienware on release. Absolutely love it. I used the X34 before it and can’t go back to the smaller screen. I’m waiting for the inevitable 38” OLED.

Come on people, where are the impressions at? Work is supposed to take a backseat from informing fellow posters about this panel...

Hehe, kidding aside, really curious how this QD-OLED panel stacks up.

I'm hoping that they release a 38" (or larger) version of this monitor next year. I can't go back to a 34" widescreen at this point. I need the extra vertical real estate.

I also bought the 38” Alienware on release. Absolutely love it. I used the X34 before it and can’t go back to the smaller screen. I’m waiting for the inevitable 38” OLED.
Ya it is a banger of a monitor. Big and bright and beautiful. I am willing to downscale for a better display though. I had a NEC PA301W for years which I loved, but I really wanted Gsync and high frame rates so I got a ViewSonic 27" 144Hz that I used for a good while. Despite being smaller, and not having as good a color, the lower input lag and the high frame rate made it one I loved. The AW3821DW felt like a return to it in some ways, I got the 1600 pixel vertical back but of course got to keep the high frame rate and Gsync, and then got UW on top of that. I also love the 2.4:1 aspect ratio as that is real popular for movies and TV.

But I do love OLED. I also don't know on the 38" OLED, it may be something we never get to have. I mean this is the one and only 38" LCD panel. Everything else has either been 34", or has gone with the super ultrawide which doesn't work for me.

-.-

Lol I have the Dell unpacked but wavering on when to unhook my XR382 that has been excellent so far. Part of me wants to delay it long as possible...swapping displays is never fun.

Big warning for co-console gamers on PS5/XSX, from Verge : "Neither console supports 21:9 aspect ratio, just 16:9, so the output resolution of the AW3423DW tops out at 2,560 x 1,440 on the Series X. In other words, you’ll have vertical black bars on the sides of the picture. Another wrinkle with the Xbox is that Dell says these new consoles can’t output HDR at QHD resolution, so your image may not be as vibrant as you’d like. And since the PS5 doesn’t support QHD resolution, you’ll probably just see a 1080p image in 16:9 aspect ratio. All of this to say, console gamers should probably just get a 4K OLED TV if they really want to appreciate those consoles. They were actually built for that kind of display. "

I don't think anyone would expect anything outside of PC's to be supporting 21:9 really yet. Only a few companies have ever released 21:9 TV's, so this feels kinda expected imho.

I don't think anyone would expect anything outside of PC's to be supporting 21:9 really yet. Only a few companies have ever released 21:9 TV's, so this feels kinda expected imho.
Regarding consoles, it's not the UW aspect they are really looking for. Most have a PC and console set-up but want 1 display device and it's if the panel can actually still display 16:9 content at 1440P or if the panel can accept 4k and downscale etc. From my research, prior Alienware monitors will only accept 1080p or 1440p. According to the user manual for AW3423dw, it does not support 4k downscale. So likely a possible alternative for Series X owners while PS5 owners should steer clear unless if 1440p support is released to the console.

Yeah my $980 order got cancelled too. Should have kept my original full MSRP order just in case. I'm also not interested at this point given the 2+ month ETA. Going to see how the Samsung G8 pans out.

Welp my Dell Canada order was cancelled apparently and trying again it looks like the coupon is dead now. "10%OFFMONITOR is valid code, but isn't applicable to any items in your cart."

Edit: apparently you can get a 10% one time off monitors coupon for signing up to the newsletter and that still works. Hopefully no issues this time.

Edit: processed and mar 15th delivery eta. Here’s hoping for no panel lottery pain.
I ordered mine last Friday in Canada, I have the same March 15th delivery date as you but my expected shipping date is tomorrow. I'm an OLED fanboy and I've been waiting for OLED monitors for almost 10 years now so to say I'm excited is a huge understatement. I was able to use a 15% discount code with Dell Business.

My second one (the one for $980) was canceled today as well. :(

Monitor is available to buy on the main site now, but delivery dates are for June...

Vincent got his review unit so we should have a good review with professional calibration coming up soon:

From the unboxing video only thing really note worthy seems to be HDR400 True Black and HDR1000 is to lessen the aggressive ramping of ABL more than anything which would make it comparable to the peak brightness setting on the LGs I guess.

When I first hooked this thing up I immediately enabled HDR in Windows (11) and noticed some quirky behavior so I disabled it for most of my testing yesterday and wow what a mistake.

I've been watching HDR videos/movies and playing games reported to have very good HDR implementation all day today and I'm even more amazed than I already was.

AutoHDR is also really cool and works very well, didn't even know it was a thing until I got a pop-up telling me about it when I was testing Splinter Cell Blacklist earlier.

SO GLAD I jumped on this early before it went OOS. Never had an ultrawide before this and I am really enjoying that aspect as well.

Also pro-tip: WIN+ALT+B toggles HDR if you prefer the oversaturated colors on desktop apps/browsers.

Also pro-tip: WIN+ALT+B toggles HDR if you prefer the oversaturated colors on desktop apps/browsers.
Awesome pro-tip... did not know that. Is there a way to adjust the HDR/SDR brightness slider without having to jump into settings?

Anyone running into issues with this in a multiple display setup? I seem to be able to only enable this at 175 Hz, extending my desktop to the other two screens causes only one one/2 of them to work at a time using my 3090 ftw3 and 511.xx drivers.

My rig is running 6 GPUs total so may be some quirkiness going on coz of that unless 3440*1440 @ 175 Hz without DSC is hitting some kind of total output wall on the 3090?

Regardless not a major issue for the gaming rig, will try with work rig at lower refresh tomorrow.

Fired up DL2 on it and was 😀

Back