Dell 5 pin fans?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I've now essentially case swapped a Dell Optiplex 7010 ( built from a parts bin motherboard )... Thing is these require 3 things to keep error codes out of startup.. Dell 5 pin CPU fan, and Dell 5 pin case fan are the main ones in a sea of 120mm+ cases... The Corsair 4000D doesn't even have 80mm spaced holes hidden within the vent cover. I have an old 80-120 case fan adapter coming , but the 80mm fan does not mount well otherwise

How do these 5 pin fans work? I know the 5th pin is some kind of signal. The 5 pin to 4 pin adapters say they don't always play nice with the Bios and genererate a startup error. I have a Precision T3500 front fan assembly ( 2 120mm fans wired to single 5 pin ).. Can those fans be run on the Optiplex board?

5th pin is empty. Wiring order is non standard.

Here is a 7010 fan image. Looks like wiring is same except color of RPM signal wire. Seems it would work. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Dell fan plug.png
    Dell fan plug.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 7010.jpg
    7010.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I took a second look at the ketchup and mustard adapters, where I was only looking at the black sleeved ones before.. It appears the K&M adapters are wired correctly to operate a dell. I ordered a couple to see if they do work

Back