declosed loop silliness

honegod

[H]F Junkie
for context:
I am working on a storage solution, consensus is that I should look at building a nas box.
rigging my lian-li itx case to house 8x3.5 of spinning rust pretty much requires a second similarly sized case be grafted on to it.
I still have the original lian-li itx case I got for this system, unused.
the anodised aluminium of each is a beautiful color match to the other.

if I run unraid on the nas box it does not need a videocard and so might hold the 8 drives.
with a short cpu cooler setup.

hence this question occurs, I have not seen anything about cutting the hoses of closed loop aio coolers.
they are hoses, so splicer fittings should be available,
the coolent liquid cannot be too special.

no, I do not know much about liquid cooling tech for computers, I much prefer to air cool directly.
but in this case it seems worth consideration.
now I wonder how the sff folk have solved this problem.

probably something better than splicing on cheap watercoolers.

not sure what youre asking or trying to accomplish but yes you can splice into an aios tubing with 1/4" barbs and they typically just use an "antifreeze" and distilled water mix.

trying to accomplish
mostly bringing myself up to speed on modern technology, and all the stuff I missed out on in my absence from this field.
when I left watercooling was aquarium, or pool pumps, and automotive heater cores, or showerheads and bongs.

now, purpose built 120mm fan specific copper radiators are cheap, connectors and piping are pretty well sorted.

ekint_classic_radiator_120_se_front_1.jpg

the initial notion was a cheap complete system should be fine, with only the hose length being problematic for a specific configuration.
simple means nonadjustable, so being able to size the hose for specific routing would be desirable.
adding a fill/air bubble hose T'd into a system not requiring a separate pump/res unit would be good.

the initial concept of using the Lian-Li PC-Q07 as a storage server rotated around there being a 120mm fan/radiator mount on the back panel, like the one on the case I am using for the main system, with mousear cutouts for external radiator use.
upon examination the Q07 has no case fan provisions whatsoever, a major factor in deciding to use a different case back when building the system.
so this watercooled nas concept looks absurdly silly.

on the other hand, the current case DOES have a radiator mount that could clear a lot of space above the motherboard to plunk some harddrives that could be cooled by the radiator fan sucking air out of the case.

THIS notion I shall explore, the case has, poorly ventilated, stock mounting for 2x3.5 spinners, using the space above the motherboard to mount a few more would get all the wiring internal to the case.

so, this setup would have the case inlet air ducted through the videocard HS, across the drives, and out through the radiator fan.
definitly looking at this notion.

Back