Deck Accessories? Skins\Shells\Docks\etc tell us what we must have and post what you have. Likes\Dislikes etc.

Johnx64

[H]F Junkie
Need a dock or something to put it in or on so our cat doesn't walk on it when I set it on my nightstand or desk. Not sure if I want to put a skin on it or a rubber shell.

https://dbrand.com/killswitch Looks interesting. Wonder what it looks like with the travel cover on. Bought the ps5 darkplates and I think they spent more on the box it came in than the product. Website humor is worth just browsing around though.

What's everyone else going with?

I ordered a killswitch but I really like the case that came with my 512GB so I use that and a Deckmate, the injection molded one is very nice and holds 2 SD cards and a receptacle for things. A couple of things are available to interface with that receptacle and I selected a kickstand. It works great and still fits in the case.
We have a large cat and he seems disinterested in the deck but when it's not in use we put it in that case it came with, or put it face down or in a drawer while it's asleep. If your nightstand doesn't have a drawer(s) I suggest you look at one that does.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/09/jsaux-announce-their-new-steam-deck-dock-with-an-m2-ssd-slot/

A dock with an m.2 slot!
https://www.jsaux.com/products/m-2-docking-station-for-steam-deck-hb0604

15294152471662375822gol1.jpg

Last edited:
I have the JSAux HB0603. If you sign up to JSAux's email subscription, they instantly give you a 15% code, so it was only $42.50. Works great. I also had a chance to test some generic docks before my JSAux arrived. Those didn't work so great.
I'm curious to see what Valve's official dock will do. Will it have expandable storage? A mini gpu to boost performance?
I'd be surprised if they did anything like that. And now I'm a little astounded at how behind the curve they are on the dock for the Deck. They didn't have to do anything fancy. Just put out a dock that works. I waited a few months hoping for some sign but hasn't been anything. They clearly dropped the ball on it, but they've also been over-their-head just keeping up with the Steam Deck demand. And even just trying to keep up with the demand, it's clear to me that Valve went with low QC standards simply so they could meet demand.

By the time the dock for the Deck releases, they would need to add a mini-GPU and expandable storage merely to be competitive, because anyone who has been interested in a Dock by this point already purchased a third party one.

71jxwIy5bEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T8LL7G8?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just picked up a 1TB expansion card for $115, thanks RavinDJ for covering taxes! The SanDisk is 10 MB/s faster for reads, but not worth $85 more from me. That's 75 percent more expensive for 7.5 percent faster reads, I'll be fine I'm sure.

For some reason shipping will be a couple of weeks out, though, I'll update when I get it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
View attachment 507449

Just picked up a 1TB expansion card for $115, thanks RavinDJ for covering taxes! The SanDisk is 10 MB/s faster for reads, but not worth $85 more from me. That's 75 percent more expensive for 7.5 percent faster reads, I'll be fine I'm sure.

For some reason shipping will be a couple of weeks out, though, I'll update when I get it.

I was going to get the PNY 1 TB but that would have been Oct delivery so I also went for the Lexar 1TB after seeing others use it and since I had to buy two of them ( one for the wife and one for me). Sept 21st is when ours are supossed to be here.

View attachment 507449

I thought the same and returned it 3 days later. It was acting flaky, and VERY slow writing to it so installing or transferring a lot of data takes MUCH longer than with the Sandisk Ultra or even the Samsung A2 ones. Very disappointed with the lexar experience I had

Reactions: Axman
like this
I thought the same and returned it 3 days later. It was acting flaky, and VERY slow writing to it so installing or transferring a lot of data takes MUCH longer than with the Sandisk Ultra or even the Samsung A2 ones. Very disappointed with the lexar experience I had

well canceled mine. went with the sandisk extreme which will now be here sooner.

I bet 800p at 200" in your face looks amazing, too. :p
It really does. It's just an external monitor so you can use it in 1080p60. The most annoying visual quirk is the way you get imaging from bright stuff around you through the prism. My fiance is using them to watch movies more than I get to use them. I don't know the technical term for it but in old printers we used to call it dot-pitch. Whatever projection this uses creates an image that has none of that screen dooring or those weird visual artifacts that Vive and other HMDs get. And if you use the shades you get real blacks like an OLED. Oh yeah, the speakers are ok for what they are but you really need bluetooth headphones. And if we're serious if you're spending over $800 on this setup with a Deck you probably have a decent pair already.

Show me your dongle!
Siig HDMI to USB-C converter
Vava 11-1 USB-C PD Hub
Asus ROG NVMe adapter w/ RGB
512gb 950 Pro NVMe drive

1663973027119.png

1663972940862.png

Show me your dongle!
I've just been using what I have because of my work laptop at home for the third monitor. Was told by the old lady I need to leave the dock on my wishlist for Christmas or else.
and she is right. otehrthan a convient place to put it while charging I do not _need_ a dock right now since can steamlink with the AppleTV.

Selection_001.png

I don't know if it's considered an accessory but it was cheaper then some usb 3 hubs. I bought one of those $55 1080p projectors that popped up on S.D. I ended up using it while camping this weekend and played local movies off the deck through Kodi. (powered up decks usb 3 hdmi hub and projector via battery pack) It's a pretty compact setup for outdoor movie night. @$55 it wouldn't have been a huge loss if it broke but it worked out.

1664203450927.png

FYI Steam Docks are available for order for $89 with a 1-2 week ship time. I am kind of on the fence though.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeckdock
Other than the network port on the back to close to other docks out there that are less. Other than supporting Valve to support them for making a cool machine

EDIT: actually not a bad price since it does come with a second charger

Last edited:
Other than the network port on the back to close to other docks out there that are less. Other than supporting Valve to support them for making a cool machine

Plus they have the ability to upgrade the docks via firmware...I dunno, it seems to offer a bit more than most of the cheaper or similarly-priced docks out there. I'm in for one.

I bought an official dock. Might end up trying to desktop replace one of my other computers.

Edit: Looks like my dock is scheduled for tomorrow delivery from Valve.

Last edited:
bought two official docks. cost is is not that much more considering comes with extra power supply.

I bought the official dock Monday. I wanted it for the gigabits ethernet port mainly and having a USB port to plug in a wireless mini keyboard dongle. The onscreen keyboard is usable but just annoying enough to make it worth it to me lol.

Even if I deduct the price of the charger, it's $25 more than what I paid. I don't know what's considered "bad", but it's late and the price is certainly not competitive. Especially if you consider Valve already makes a cut of every transaction on Steam.

But hey, who am I to tell people the value of something :p Maybe if we keep the trend going, Valve will see no reason to not go full Apple on us.

Got the steam dock today so I wanted to give my impressions. When I plugged it in the Deck automatically recognized it, checked for new firmware and asked if I wanted to upgrade to the lastest. It took a couple of minutes but it was easy and painless.

It's really nice to have a gigabit wired port. I can get as high as 109 MB/s :) but it seems to drop to the 58-70 MB/s which is a bit faster than my wifi (ranges from 30 - 55 MB/s) when no one is streaming too much on it when transferring files from my PC to deck (that is to a Sandisk Extreme 512GB microSD). I only did one game as a test so far.

Having the USB port so I can plug in a small wireless keyboard dongle is great when in desktop mode. I am so glad to not be using the onscreen keyboard.

Connecting to my monitor was easy but I had some issues (software wise) that I didn't like. I had the HDMI port plugged into my monitor so immediately after turning on the deck the deck screen went blank (after the firmware update). I didn't switch my monitor to the used HDMI port so I didn't realize it did this automatically without asking or even notifying the user. Also as long as the monitor cable is connected to your dock the Deck will always use the external monitor and disable the Deck screen when in game mode. Supposedly in desktop mode it can mirror the display, but I haven't tested that out. I really don't like that feature at all. I want a toggle personally in the settings->display preferences so I can choose between external and internal screen. I know it's a dock so most won't be using it like I am. I have a USB C Female to USB C Male extension cable that I am using so I can use the deck while connected to power and the dock even when it's in my hands, so the only workaround to the screen issue is to disconnect the HDMI wire from the dock if I want to play while connected to power.

Overall I'd have to rate it as a bit overpriced for what it gives you. $89+tax is a bit steep. The only real advantages have been mentioned earlier in this thread. Firmware is controlled by valve so updates and bug fixes for external connections will work out first for buyers. Having an extra "official" power adapter is nice but not really worth the premium. Some of the other USB-C docks available have other features like multiple card readers that will save people money if they don't have a good USB 3 adapter for microSD cards (I had to buy one cause my USB microSD adapter is 2.0 so it added another $9) to the cost).

My Deck Dock came in yesterday, so I setup a mini gaming station for the kiddos with hand-me-down peripherals. The alternative was drop $500 on an entry level gaming PC build, so I'm quite pleased with how this turned out.

1666107640272.png

It's docked behind the monitor, and the entire setup is on an IKEA Lack coffee table. :D

I got the dbrand killswitch case a couple of weeks ago and I really like it, also the clear shell imitation stickers for the front. My wife installed them and they came out very well, it took her about 30 minutes.

Got the steam dock today so I wanted to give my impressions. When I plugged it in the Deck automatically recognized it, checked for new firmware and asked if I wanted to upgrade to the lastest. It took a couple of minutes but it was easy and painless.

It's really nice to have a gigabit wired port. I can get as high as 109 MB/s :) but it seems to drop to the 58-70 MB/s which is a bit faster than my wifi (ranges from 30 - 55 MB/s) when no one is streaming too much on it when transferring files from my PC to deck (that is to a Sandisk Extreme 512GB microSD). I only did one game as a test so far.

Having the USB port so I can plug in a small wireless keyboard dongle is great when in desktop mode. I am so glad to not be using the onscreen keyboard.

Connecting to my monitor was easy but I had some issues (software wise) that I didn't like. I had the HDMI port plugged into my monitor so immediately after turning on the deck the deck screen went blank (after the firmware update). I didn't switch my monitor to the used HDMI port so I didn't realize it did this automatically without asking or even notifying the user. Also as long as the monitor cable is connected to your dock the Deck will always use the external monitor and disable the Deck screen when in game mode. Supposedly in desktop mode it can mirror the display, but I haven't tested that out. I really don't like that feature at all. I want a toggle personally in the settings->display preferences so I can choose between external and internal screen. I know it's a dock so most won't be using it like I am. I have a USB C Female to USB C Male extension cable that I am using so I can use the deck while connected to power and the dock even when it's in my hands, so the only workaround to the screen issue is to disconnect the HDMI wire from the dock if I want to play while connected to power.

Overall I'd have to rate it as a bit overpriced for what it gives you. $89+tax is a bit steep. The only real advantages have been mentioned earlier in this thread. Firmware is controlled by valve so updates and bug fixes for external connections will work out first for buyers. Having an extra "official" power adapter is nice but not really worth the premium. Some of the other USB-C docks available have other features like multiple card readers that will save people money if they don't have a good USB 3 adapter for microSD cards (I had to buy one cause my USB microSD adapter is 2.0 so it added another $9) to the cost).
Mine does the same speed on wifi with direct line of sight to a unifi u6 pro AP. The limitation is the CPU can't decompress fast enough relative to our bitchin' desktops.

I like the killswitch case except with it's travel cover it precludes the use of many right angle cables. The fan in my deck isn't sensitive to the magnetic kickstand but they're making a new one that has a bayonet mount instead and shipping it for free to everyone that bought one, replete with the Portal stick grips that were advertised to come with it during the $3 preorder period.

Please DO NOT buy this case!

Several people have mentioned what they get is either not what is shown at all (one person got a case that has no recesses or velcro flap at all or compartment), and one user got a case that doesn't clear the thumbsticks at all. This seems to be some cheap copycat clone of a Jsaux case.

This one seems to be the one it copied from also and even this I am not sure I would recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BC8VYKD5/

If you want a case that works, you can try this for the kitchen sink version.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2QRVPGL/

Or this for a cheaper one.
https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Carrying-Compatible-Protective-Accessories/dp/B09ZB1RZ2G/

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
I bought the official Dock and I'm happy with it so far. However i'm looking for some other accessories...

Tempered Glass Screen Protector - Anyone have advice on a tempered glass screen protector of quality? Specifically one that works with the 512GB model's etched glass display without any nonsense. There are a bunch of no-names on Amazon but I'm skeptical; some may be decent at least, but you never know. What about DBrand's tempered glass? If I can't find anything else I may go with that.

Travel Cases - the above discussion is helpful. I wonder if there are more refinements or revisions to those designs in time? I like the original official Steam Deck (512gb variant) case, but I do wish Steam would offer a larger case that is designed to hold more stuff , akin to the "kitchen sink" bag Falkentyne described where you can fit the power/charging cable , official Dock, and more within even if your Deck has protection/accessories/grips on it. Furtherrmore, a Steam official "premium" case with a passthrough to charge the deck with the case closed, much like the excellently made Xbox Elite Series 2 controller case system, would be ideal.

"Body protectors, accessories" - Dbrand "Killswitch" with all its various accessories and the Deckmate come to mind, but I'll see what else is out there. I'm concerned about things "fitting" into cases and usability with the Official Dock too; not a huge fan of having to pop a "skin/protector" on and off every time etc.

I bought the official Dock and I'm happy with it so far. However i'm looking for some other accessories...

Tempered Glass Screen Protector - Anyone have advice on a tempered glass screen protector of quality? Specifically one that works with the 512GB model's etched glass display without any nonsense. There are a bunch of no-names on Amazon but I'm skeptical; some may be decent at least, but you never know. What about DBrand's tempered glass? If I can't find anything else I may go with that.

I haven't used one but I've heard these are pretty decent: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09ZTHN...olid=2LT1OE8CLDJJV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

However, it appears some reviews note that putting a matte screen protector on an already matte screen results in loss in clarity. Not sure there is much you can do about that, though. I would expect that to be the case with all matte screen protectors.

I bought a non-matte one and might end up switching, but it's working okay so far.

I haven't used one but I've heard these are pretty decent: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09ZTHN...olid=2LT1OE8CLDJJV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

However, it appears some reviews note that putting a matte screen protector on an already matte screen results in loss in clarity. Not sure there is much you can do about that, though. I would expect that to be the case with all matte screen protectors.

I bought a non-matte one and might end up switching, but it's working okay so far.
I would have the same concern about dimming/clarity issues with the screen. Is the DBrand one (or many others) matte? I thought most of the tempered glass ones were focused on clarity and/or oleophobic protection, not specifically antiglare/matte coating additional layers or whatever that could potentially dim things.

I got the jsaux one and don't have any complaints.

Got my 512 Deck in 2 days ago. Got Nreal Air glasses for bday last week. Match almost made in heaven. I gamed 2 hours last night in bed while wife slept and it was amazing experience with Nreals with the Deck. If Nreal can add 3dof support for USB-C video it would be 100% perfect.

Back