Death Stranding - New Kojima game

did this game sell well?...I knew this would be a niche title but it seems to have disappeared from people's minds...the fact that no one is talking about it relatively soon after its release says it all...I'm sure it did well mainly from pre-orders but it doesn't have any staying power...

did this game sell well?...I knew this would be a niche title but it seems to have disappeared from people's minds...the fact that no one is talking about it relatively soon after its release says it all...I'm sure it did well mainly from pre-orders but it doesn't have any staying power...

Garbage game that nobody would have even cared about if not for the weird worship culture surrounding the untalented Hideo Kojammy. He hasn’t had a decent game since MGS3.

This game is a perfect example of why it was a good thing Konami kept him on such a short leash. It’s weird and boring / unplayable

Garbage game that nobody would have even cared about if not for the weird worship culture surrounding the untalented Hideo Kojammy. He hasn’t had a decent game since MGS3.

This game is a perfect example of why it was a good thing Konami kept him on such a short leash. It’s weird and boring / unplayable

so calling it a walking simulator is being kind...

Could not disagree more. That said, it's definitely not for everyone.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I'm waiting for it to get to PC and then will pick it up. I get that it is more a world building and terrain traversal game than anything else. Not for some people and thats ok.

Haven't seen any sales numbers, but not sure how that's really a metric for how good a game is either. It's definitely more of a niche title than any of the other Playstation Exclusives thus far though and thus I wouldn't recommend buying it for most people unless they've seen reviews for it and know what they're getting into. I definitely regret spending $60 on it, but would have definitely been happy playing it for $30 or so. I think it has a pretty good story overall, it just had some severe pacing issues with it because there's a huge break in the story in the middle of the game where you're pretty much grinding for resources and doing repetitive missions in order to get to the last 1/3 of the game where there's much better story-based missions to keep you more interested until the end of the game, and also considerably better equipment to make game play a bit better and faster to move around.

So did you play it or are you just parroting other critics you've seen of the game so far?

so calling it a walking simulator is being kind...

I mean.. if there is a game to be called a "walking simulator" (a term that can be used to describe pretty much any 3rd person game), this is it considering they actually turned walking into a game mechanic with its own balancing controls and weight distribution system, lol. But I think anyone who calls a game that is being highly reductive, to a point that it lowers their credibility so low that I have to dismiss whatever they say about that game or anything else really, then maybe go watch a video on it in order to gain exponentially more information about the game than what they just described and at least begin to form a decent opinion of the game from there.

Haven't seen any sales numbers, but not sure how that's really a metric for how good a game is either. It's definitely more of a niche title than any of the other Playstation Exclusives thus far though and thus I wouldn't recommend buying it for most people unless they've seen reviews for it and know what they're getting into. I definitely regret spending $60 on it, but would have definitely been happy playing it for $30 or so

it's less about the sales numbers and more that the game seems to have fallen off the map in terms of buzz or any type of good word of mouth...I'm sure pre-order numbers were good because of the Kojima name but after the first month all buzz has died...and no it's not the same with every game...games have big first months and don't just drop off the map...forum threads remain very active and they live on for months/years through the excellent gameplay or word of mouth which contributes to a long shelf life...even if you take games that came out around the same time as Death Stranding- SW: Fallen order and MH: Iceborne, both those games are thriving...people are still talking about them today

that's not even taking into account the huge marketing blitz that accompanied the game...so many ads and commercials...Death Stranding is a disappointment no matter how you look at

Last edited:
I mean.. if there is a game to be called a "walking simulator" (a term that can be used to describe pretty much any 3rd person game), this is it considering they actually turned walking into a game mechanic with its own balancing controls and weight distribution system, lol. But I think anyone who calls a game that is being highly reductive, to a point that it lowers their credibility so low that I have to dismiss whatever they say about that game or anything else really, then maybe go watch a video on it in order to gain exponentially more information about the game than what they just described and at least begin to form a decent opinion of the game from there.

not true...no one has ever referred to the Arkham games or Dark Souls etc as walking simulators...of course every game has a walking component but when that component becomes the overriding narrative where walking from place to place in the absence of any other gameplay element is considered one of the core features then that is a different beast...compare this game to something like RDR2 which some have also accused of being a walking/horse riding sim...the main difference being that with RDR2 there are other narrative components which come into play where you have the ability to go outside of that gameplay loop

I bought the $10 PS5 update but haven't really played it yet. 60FPS looks good. I migrated my save and can see the new objects now. The Director's Cut is a whole separate game for PS5, the PS4 version is still separately available to play. I don't intend to replay any time soon, but will eventually.

I'll wishlist the upgrade and get it for $5 or so. Not sure I want to replay this game or not. The story didn't do much for me, but it was strangely therapeutic to traverse the map making deliveries sometimes. This would be a good game to play if you're stressed and want to zone out for a bit IMO.

There were some neat things about the game that I enjoyed. If nothing else, the graphics and sound were pretty amazing on the PC. In general, the game had a lot of polish and it was clear they spent a lot of time on the presentation. I can see the road building and zipline building mechanics being fun for certain people. For me, I just felt there was a serious disconnect between the combat and the rest of the game. It's almost like they wanted you to just blow through everything at top speed with how little motivation they gave you for fighting or going slow. I had a good time with the game for a few hours. Mainly once things open up (and you finally start to learn what the damn acronyms mean), but before things get repetitious. I was meticulous with everything I did for the first 1/2 of the game, but was motoring like Night Ranger for the last 1/2. Luckily, the game doesn't really penalize you for playing that way. Find a bike and get used to making it climb steep hills FTW.

I'll probably rebuy this on PC if/when the Director's Cut version comes out for PC.

the Director's Cut improvements seems like it makes the game way less tedious...

Screenshot_20230217-004026_Samsung Internet.jpg

Didn't know he looks the same here you go play this character.

Back