Dark Souls (steam code) $20 bonanza seller/$26.79 Steam

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
Edited: This thread used to link Amazon, but that deal is now dead

reselling steam codes seems like a gray area to me. If the mods have an issue with the bonanza link, I will take it down.

$20 bonanza.com
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Dar...-PC-game-Steam-Download-CD-Key-code-/94969777
Apparently Oprah plugs this site and you can pay with Paypal. I bought my Dark Souls code from a different seller on here over a month ago. This new seller has about 40 keys.

You can also get Dark Souls right now for $26.79 on steam. Deal ends November 12th.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

don't forget to download DSfix
http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/19

You are are more than likely going to need a controller for a good play experience. The mod improves the KBM support, but the game just wouldn't play optimally with KBM anyway. I recommend either an xbox 360 controller or a PS3 controller emulating an 360 controller, using a free program called "motionjoy" (that's what I use).

Last edited:
Thanks! I've been wanting to check this game out but was waiting for a sale. Sounds like this game has quite a hardcore following.

Bought and downloading it now!

Dark Souls is a great game, but I advise anyone that buys the PC version to be wary of Games for Windows Live if they aren't already familiar with it.

There's nothing wrong with GWFL... Specially since this is a steam game only thing you use GWFL on this one is to login to your account (Basically an Xbox Live account) once the game starts...

There's nothing wrong with GWFL... Specially since this is a steam game only thing you use GWFL on this one is to login to your account (Basically an Xbox Live account) once the game starts...

Yeah, GFWL so far has been very unobtrusive with Dark Souls. Since I've bought it, they did update the GFWL client once, and it doesn't auto update. So you will one day go to sign in and it will fail. Then you have to go to the GFWL website and manually download the new client. A mild annoyance.

so tempted to double dip with this. But it looks pretty good on my TV already :p

Awesome price, payed 60 bucks when it came out for ps3. Put over 100 hours into the game.

1.Game is great

2. Resolution is terrible without below patch/mod.

2.DSfix patch for 1080p is a must.

3.Xbox controller is a must.

4.GFWL isnt that bad. Dont understand the stigma surrounding it.

Also, GFWL is very picky about your saves in general. Each of your saves is tied to a GFWL account, so if something goes wrong with one account, you can't transfer your save over. Additionally, if you are sharing an XBL account with someone else and use it as a GFWL account, be warned: You are not allowed to be on GFWL and XBL at the same time with one account. Since I was utterly clueless about GFWL when I purchased the game, I made this mistake. In practice, it isn't THAT big of a deal, but it is an inconvenience that shouldn't be there.

Of course though, that doesn't take anything away from Dark Souls itself, it is still a great game, and the new content definitely didn't disappoint. Just make sure you avoid the foolish mistake I made and make a unique GFWL profile before you start playing, and you should be good.

It is clearly a PC game ported from console. How good of a port I do not know... but it certainly is a PC game.

From Software said in the beginning they weren't sure how the game would come out. They made the PC version cause the Fans wanted it. But again they stated from the start that they have never done a PC game but would try there best. For being the first time making a PC game (Even if it's a port) they did a great job. I've seen plenty of other PC games come out from big time dev's that released with tons of huge bugs.

Also, GFWL is very picky about your saves in general. Each of your saves is tied to a GFWL account, so if something goes wrong with one account, you can't transfer your save over. Additionally, if you are sharing an XBL account with someone else and use it as a GFWL account, be warned: You are not allowed to be on GFWL and XBL at the same time with one account. Since I was utterly clueless about GFWL when I purchased the game, I made this mistake. In practice, it isn't THAT big of a deal, but it is an inconvenience that shouldn't be there.

Of course though, that doesn't take anything away from Dark Souls itself, it is still a great game, and the new content definitely didn't disappoint. Just make sure you avoid the foolish mistake I made and make a unique GFWL profile before you start playing, and you should be good.

I initially didn't plan on purchasing for the PC since I had it on my Xbox already. But I wanted to try the new content early (The PC version came out with the new content months before the consoles got the new content) the game saves for this can be used on any GFWL account. I copy'd my game save and took it to my brother's house so he could skip straight to the new content once I got there. After I completed it the first time I even used editor's to mess around offline with some naked runs at bosses without any issues.

I've also never had an issue with any other game saves and GFWL which I have a good amount of games on my GFWL account.

The last thing I've been logged into both my GFWL account and on my Xbox which has the same account tied to it multiple times with no issues what so ever.

I really don't want this thread to turn into a big argument over the quality of the port. But I do feel that as the OP, I should weigh in and then politefully request that we don't get too much more talk about the port, specifically. Especially since I'm not a FROM Software apologizer and therefore have I think, a more useful perspective.

I can't just be like PFFFF whatever, no biggy y'all's cool. Dark Souls was delivered to PC in nearly unusable form. They didn't even deliver on the two most basic features for PC. Proper mouse support, and resolution options.

100,000 people officially expressed interest in the game on PC. One of the finest games maybe ever, certainly one of the absolute best console games this generation, but hey it also sort of resembles something what PC gamers like! What a great idea guys!

Instead of spending a couple of dollars extra to make sure it was right, they just pooped it out verbatim and then sprinkled on top the most broke KBM support I've maybe ever seen. No mouse support in the menus and the mouse cursor isn't even hidden when you play the game! It was a HUGE chore for me to just make a character really quick and jump into the game (before I got my Dualshock 3 working, I wanted to just boot the game and see it). A character creator that I am hugely familiar with as I have logged many hours on a few characters with the PS3 version.
The fact that its a poorly accommodated port is not the only issue. The PC crowd is going to find it hard to ever take the console guys seriously, next time they have a cool game they want to share. Companies are going to see this and be like See, games don't sell on PC. and besides, its too hard to code for all them videocards anyway. and Dark Souls could have sold very well on PC. Because, its a good game. And because its new and curious for those PC guys. and because the souls games have a track record of selling 2 million each.

If I were a good artist and drew up a really awesome supercar design and millionaires said they'd buy it if I built one for them. You know what I would do-------find someone who can build a damn car and work with them on my design.

People scream all day about how EA and other companies deliver buggy games with day one patches and retail customers end up as beta testers or we have to pay extra to get all the content

WELL THIS RIGHT HERE is just as bad, even worse than at least some, of all that crap. But somehow FROM gets a pass when others don't??

Oh but Durantey fixed it all. That is LITERALLY a customer/fan having to test and finish the game for them. You can't go further in that direction. You have arrived.

Guys, I love Dark Souls. I really do. I love Demon's Souls. I really, REALLY do. and I am still able to get mad about this, as should all of the people that signed that petition, all of the people that bought the game, all of the people that may have been interested. In a couple weeks of spare time, one guy made this port the best version of Dark Souls. Which begs the question: Why didn't From Software hire a couple of freelance PC guys?

-------------------------------------

Durante's very simple to use mod does address most of the major problems with the port adds a few additional features not coded into the game originally, such as SMAA support, SSAO, hud tweaks, framerate tweaks, etc (I recommend capping at about 42fps, as 60fps introduces gameplay ruining anomalies). Tons of people spend hours tweaking color levels in Skyrim-----I don't think this mod should be much of a stretch to get people to play this game. Its an amazing game with a lot of innovative features and creative vision that stands with and above the best. and as long as you have about a 4ghz or better CPU-----its actually the best version of the game. (less ghz than that and you may have trouble running at 1080p or higher).

Even though KBM support is now mostly usable in game----I still wouldn't recommend it. Its just not the right tool for the job. Do it if you must, but the game has a calculated fluidity designed into its use with controller and its just going to be more enjoyable (Dualshock 3 or Xbox 360 controllers recommended). I wouldn't ever expect anyone to have fun playing Devil May Cry 3 with Keyboard and Mouse. Hopefully you can see the parallel there.

now you can see why everyone was screaming when Diablo 3 decided to ape Dark Soul's phrasing for advertising. The best version of this great game is now $20 and includes the DLC.

get ready to die???? No, PREPARE TO DIE!

Last edited:
I really don't want this thread to turn into a big argument over the quality of the port. But I do feel that as the OP, I should weigh in and then politefully request that we don't get too much more talk about the port, specifically. Especially since I'm not a FROM Software apologizer and therefore have I think, a more useful perspective.

I can't just be like PFFFF whatever, no biggy y'all's cool. Dark Souls was delivered to PC in nearly unusable form. They didn't even deliver on the two most basic features for PC. Proper mouse support, and resolution options.

100,000 people officially expressed interest in the game on PC. One of the finest games maybe ever, certainly one of the absolute best console games this generation, but hey it also sort of resembles something what PC gamers like! What a great idea guys!

Instead of spending a couple of dollars extra to make sure it was right, they just pooped it out verbatim and then sprinkled on top the most broke KBM support I've maybe ever seen. No mouse support in the menus and the mouse cursor isn't even hidden when you play the game! It was a HUGE chore for me to just make a character really quick and jump into the game (before I got my Dualshock 3 working, I wanted to just boot the game and see it). A character creator that I am hugely familiar with as I have logged many hours on a few characters with the PS3 version.
The fact that its a poorly accommodated port is not the only issue. The PC crowd is going to find it hard to ever take the console guys seriously, next time they have a cool game they want to share. Companies are going to see this and be like See, games don't sell on PC. and besides, its too hard to code for all them videocards anyway. and Dark Souls could have sold very well on PC. Because, its a good game. And because its new and curious for those PC guys. and because the souls games have a track record of selling 2 million each.

If I were a good artist and drew up a really awesome supercar design and millionaires said they'd buy it if I built one for them. You know what I would do-------find someone who can build a damn car and work with them on my design.

People scream all day about how EA and other companies deliver buggy games with day one patches and retail customers end up as beta testers or we have to pay extra to get all the content

WELL THIS RIGHT HERE is just as bad, even worse than at least some, of all that crap. But somehow FROM gets a pass when others don't??

Oh but Durantey fixed it all. That is LITERALLY a customer/fan having to test and finish the game for them. You can't go further in that direction. You have arrived.

Guys, I love Dark Souls. I really do. I love Demon's Souls. I really, REALLY do. and I am still able to get mad about this, as should all of the people that signed that petition, all of the people that bought the game, all of the people that may have been interested. In a couple weeks of spare time, one guy made this port the best version of Dark Souls. Which begs the question: Why didn't From Software hire a couple of freelance PC guys?

-------------------------------------

Durante's very simple to use mod does address most of the major problems with the port adds a few additional features not coded into the game originally, such as SMAA support, SSAO, hud tweaks, framerate tweaks, etc (I recommend capping at about 42fps, as 60fps introduces gameplay ruining anomalies). Tons of people spend hours tweaking color levels in Skyrim-----I don't think this mod should be much of a stretch to get people to play this game. Its an amazing game with a lot of innovative features and creative vision that stands with and above the best. and as long as you have about a 4ghz or better CPU-----its actually the best version of the game. (less ghz than that and you may have trouble running at 1080p or higher).

Even though KBM support is now mostly usable in game----I still wouldn't recommend it. Its just not the right tool for the job. Do it if you must, but the game has a calculated fluidity designed into its use with controller and its just going to be more enjoyable (Dualshock 3 or Xbox 360 controllers recommended). I wouldn't ever expect anyone to have fun playing Devil May Cry 3 with Keyboard and Mouse. Hopefully you can see the parallel there.

now you can see why everyone was screaming when Diablo 3 decided to ape Dark Soul's phrasing for advertising. The best version of this great game is now $20 and includes the DLC.

get ready to die???? No, PREPARE TO DIE!

Being such a fan have you not seen that the dev's said they would do there best but they have never done a PC game before and that they only ported it cause "we" the gamers wanted it? It completely broke or unuseable when it was released. I knew from the start and so did many other's who have played it that you would not even want to attempt a KB/M when playing this so most didn't... Pretty much everyone went in Prepared to use a controller.

I have an old Logitech controller from years ago that was basically a copy of a PS2 controller without the dual shock. It works fine and I didn't have to change a thing.

I wouldn't ever expect anyone to have fun playing Devil May Cry 3 with Keyboard and Mouse. Hopefully you can see the parallel there.
I have actually finished devil may cry 3 with just a keyboard :D. But yea this game you need a controller because precise directional input is a absolute must... especially for back stabbing.

I initially didn't plan on purchasing for the PC since I had it on my Xbox already. But I wanted to try the new content early (The PC version came out with the new content months before the consoles got the new content) the game saves for this can be used on any GFWL account. I copy'd my game save and took it to my brother's house so he could skip straight to the new content once I got there. After I completed it the first time I even used editor's to mess around offline with some naked runs at bosses without any issues.

I've also never had an issue with any other game saves and GFWL which I have a good amount of games on my GFWL account.

The last thing I've been logged into both my GFWL account and on my Xbox which has the same account tied to it multiple times with no issues what so ever.

I wonder if we are even referring to the same thing. Maybe you are just lucky, but I definitely was unable to transfer saves over to different accounts no matter what I tried, and I know I am not alone on this experience. This was true for many other GFWL games besides Dark Souls. Did you actually copy the unmodded (as in, originally created by you) save file and then gave a copy of it to your brother who was able to play it while logged in to his own account, that is, his own profile with a different name from yours?

The save files generated by GFWL games are usually encrypted such that they are inherently linked to one profile. The fact that I can't copy saves to different profiles isn't simply a bug I am complaining about, this is actually an intentional feature of GFWL. So if you were able to get around all of that somehow without a hassle, more power to you. But I am only stating my own experience to warn others, and I am sure others have had the same problems.

Also, in regards to XBL, I did not mean you could not play both games at the same time. What I meant was that since GFWL and XBL accounts are essentially the same thing, signing into one should automatically sign out the other. That is, if I was playing Dark Souls on the PC while signed into GFWL and then someone else tries to sign in to XBL with the same account, I would be immediately signed out, and I would be forced to play the game in offline mode. Yes, just like with the saves, this was an intentional feature of GFWL, not a bug. For Dark souls, being online is not essential towards actually beating the game, but it is a big component in actually making the game more fun (ie orange signs, jolly coop, and PvP).

I totally bit on this, I loved the PS3 version, and I'm enjoying the PC version even more since it looks a hell of a lot better and runs mostly smoother.

Initially, I was frequently getting disconnected from GFWL, but opening up ALL of the ports associated with it did the trick, and it seemed to stop once I forwarded TCP port 443.

I have to ask, what anomalies does it introduce?

The engine, physics, and animation were all tied and locked to the 30fps cap. I'm not completely up on the technical tweaks that were needed to break the cap and still have the game feel normal. But it seems that Durante's framerate unlock is slightly off and has a cumulative effect, the higher the framerate goes. At 60fps I (and many others, Durante included) have experienced shorter jump and roll distances, characters falling off ladders when sliding down them, and slow motion running/running that really gets you nowhere even though your character's animation is moving quickly.

WARNING:

This game has issues with Windows 8 ATM. I can't get it to run even by uninstalling the included GFWL and downloading the newest version ('...marketplace').

:(

WARNING:

This game has issues with Windows 8 ATM. I can't get it to run even by uninstalling the included GFWL and downloading the newest version ('...marketplace').

:(

Working just fine for me on windows 8 pro.

Yes, it activated for me on steam.

All my opinion below:
I haven't tried the mods yet, but played it about an hour last night. It would be hard to make it more similar in tone to demon souls. I played it on ps3 and feel the graphics are equivalent on pc if not even better. It will be interesting to see the change with the mods.

I'm a big fan of the fighting system they've worked up. It seems almost identical to demon souls, but its been too long since I played.

Yes, it activated for me on steam.

All my opinion below:
I haven't tried the mods yet, but played it about an hour last night. It would be hard to make it more similar in tone to demon souls. I played it on ps3 and feel the graphics are equivalent on pc if not even better. It will be interesting to see the change with the mods.

I'm a big fan of the fighting system they've worked up. It seems almost identical to demon souls, but its been too long since I played.

Of course they play very similar. It's the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls.

4.GFWL isnt that bad. Dont understand the stigma surrounding it.

I've had a ton of GFWL issues in the past when I was a heavy DOW2 player including, but not limited to, service outages that would prevent me from logging in (and playing) and login server issues that would log me out mid-match. If it were RELIABLE, GFWL may not suck so much ass as my issues were all reliability-related.

The engine, physics, and animation were all tied and locked to the 30fps cap. I'm not completely up on the technical tweaks that were needed to break the cap and still have the game feel normal. But it seems that Durante's framerate unlock is slightly off and has a cumulative effect, the higher the framerate goes. At 60fps I (and many others, Durante included) have experienced shorter jump and roll distances, characters falling off ladders when sliding down them, and slow motion running/running that really gets you nowhere even though your character's animation is moving quickly.

Have you tried it recently? It seems like he has made a few improvements with recent versions of the mod. I know that the sliding down ladders is still an issue and that the shorter rolls and jumps can be as well. It didn't seem all that noticeable to me tbh.

42fps isn't all that bad though. It feels a lot better than 30.

Have you tried it recently? It seems like he has made a few improvements with recent versions of the mod. I know that the sliding down ladders is still an issue and that the shorter rolls and jumps can be as well. It didn't seem all that noticeable to me tbh.

42fps isn't all that bad though. It feels a lot better than 30.
Yes, these issues persist in the newest version of DSfix. I am using 1.9

Its possible he may never be able to make the frame rate unlock work perfectly, without access to the source code. This mod is basically what's known as an "injector". It just intercepts the Direct X API calls and inserts custom options before its all completely processed.

But, Durante is allowing other modders to work with his mod to find improvements. Its possible a communal solution could be worked up.

--------------------------------

an important note because people often do not completely read directions and then complain when stuff doesn't work: YOU MUST TURN OFF ANTI-ALIASING IN DARK SOUL'S OWN MENU OPTIONS. Otherwise, you will have very blurry graphics after the mod is applied.

I don't think it's worth buying the game and having to pay for a Xbox controller in order to play the game correctly.

Back