Dark Souls 3

From apparently never cared about the old DSFix mod as I used it like 99.9% of the time. I can't tell you the number of times I've reverted to old saves and tried random graphical tweaks and mods. I still got invaded pretty often there's no shortage of player comments on the ground.
Could just be an empty threat to keep people from going ham.

I used DSFix as well with the original version and reverted to older saves but I'm talking about using actual 3rd party mods which change up gameplay...does From Software clamp down on that?

I keep hearing that you could get soft banned for using mods in any of the Souls games (PC)...1) what is the likelihood of this happening?...2) what exactly is a soft ban compared to a 'normal' ban?
I can't remember if it was just DkS2 or both 1 and 2. But IIRC: users of GeDoSaTo for Dark Souls 2 got soft banned so that you could only connect with other GeDoSaTo users for summoning/invading. It may have been for DSfix with DkS1, as well.

The cheat engine mods I am pretty sure could potentially get you banned in some harder way. Or maybe it was just banned to only connect to other cheat engine users. I dunno. But the general recommendation was that GeDoSaTo was essentially fine. But if you used cheat engine, you should disconnect while playing.

I can't remember if it was just DkS2 or both 1 and 2. But IIRC: users of GeDoSaTo for Dark Souls 2 got soft banned so that you could only connect with other GeDoSaTo users for summoning/invading. It may have been for DSfix with DkS1, as well.

The cheat engine mods I am pretty sure could potentially get you banned in some harder way. Or maybe it was just banned to only connect to other cheat engine users. I dunno. But the general recommendation was that GeDoSaTo was essentially fine. But if you used cheat engine, you should disconnect while playing.

but what about regular gameplay mods (not cheat engine mods)...for example mods that remix the enemies, item drops etc

but what about regular gameplay mods (not cheat engine mods)...for example mods that remix the enemies, item drops etc
I thought those were cheat engine mods or some analog. But I've honestly not payed a lot of attention on the specifcs for how to do most Dark Souls mods, beside the main fixes and then shader injectors like Reshade/SweetFX/etc.

From put summoning/co-op in the series for a reason. I forget what the #'s were, but there were a staggering number of players that never even killed the first boss in Dark Souls 3. You would typically encounter him in the first 15 minutes of playing the game. I'd rather people get to experience the games in some fashion than to run into a brick wall in the first half hour. Not everyone has the time or desire to "git gud" when they have other things to do and other games to play.
I died so many times to Gundyr at the start of the game. It just was an absolute struggle.

And then after I was a number of bosses into the game I randomly decided to restart as a deprived and easily defeated him. The wonders of cumulative skill.

Still, that boss makes me hesitant to recommend the game at times.

^ They didn't put him against the DLC bosses. Even as badass as the Nameless King is, I don't think he could hang with Freide, Midir, or Gael.

Bunch of these moded videos this one is really intresting. I wish I still had my save file for this game.

Anyone checked out The Convergence mod? It's actually kind of impressive. Might be something to scratch the Souls itch while waiting for Elden Ring.

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/672

The Convergence mod is an exhaustive overhaul of Dark Souls 3 with dozens of new weapons, hundreds of new spells, extensively revamped areas and maps, improved visuals, new enemies, bosses and much more.

Every non-dlc map has been extensively overhauled with new enemy and item placements, improved lighting, decorations and aesthetics. The goal of the map reworks is to change the feel of the areas, as well as adding new surprises and challenges, in hopes of reigniting the excitement of a first playthrough.

Covenants now play a key role in every build. Covenants grant the player perks and buffs, as well as enabling collection of covenant items from all enemies. These items can be traded in at the covenant's corresponding shops for powerful spells, weapons and armor.

The three basic magic schools of vanilla have each been split into four distinct sub-schools, making 12 in total. Each of the new spell schools have their own distinct playstyle and progression, as well as custom spells, catalysts, vendors and armor.

Every single weapon has either been rebalanced or completely reworked, making all of them viable. New weapons often come with brand new movesets, and usually incorporate animations from Bloodborne and Sekiro for added variety.

Several new armors have been added, and all sets grant various stat bonuses and perks when worn.

All bosses have been revamped in some way, and some are even completely new, with animations and AI unique to Dark Souls 3.

Fightin' Cowboy started playing through it today

I was tempted to re-play DS3 again to get myself used to the timing and speed as a way of preparing for Elden Ring...now maybe I'll just re-play Sekiro
I think this is more of a situation right now to get the game on XBox, if you're going to purchase it.

I was tempted to re-play DS3 again to get myself used to the timing and speed as a way of preparing for Elden Ring...now maybe I'll just re-play Sekiro
1642910110007.png

I hardily disagree.

I'm a hard core Souls player- I love getting invaded, invading other players, PvP duels and no crappy summoning help...if you play offline because you're scared of getting invaded and use summoning for bosses than it's not real Souls ;)

Elden Ring uses the same engine as DS3 so they should be able to patch it by the time ER comes out (Feb 24)
I always assume the worst. They could patch it, and therefore the PC would be the way to go. But if they don't patch it, at least the Xbox is locked down at this moment. The PlayStation has unfortunately been completely compromised, so I wouldn't trust running it there.

with the recent major MP exploit I'm wondering if From Software will backport Easy Anti-Cheat (Elden Ring) into the older Souls games on PC

Last edited:
with the recent major MP exploit I'm wondering if From Software will backport Easy Anti-Cheat into the older Souls games on PC
If it requires a patch to the games...I would say probably not. Their support for older Souls games is bare minimum.

But if its only backend stuff and then installing the client, then maybe.

If it requires a patch to the games...I would say probably not. Their support for older Souls games is bare minimum.

But if its only backend stuff and then installing the client, then maybe.

patches for bug fixes etc have stopped but they could easily release a new patch for a major security fix

They're lucky Elden Ring is such a great game. They've made a bit of a mess, but it's a lot easier to overlook stuff like this with you have a game everyone loves.

They're lucky Elden Ring is such a great game. They've made a bit of a mess, but it's a lot easier to overlook stuff like this with you have a game everyone loves.
In fairness, DS3 is already six years old. From a business standpoint it makes sense to have all their resources devoted Elden Ring's launch, and post launch support. The timing of the exploit hitting the old games too was unfortunate, but beyond their control.

fantastic news!...multiplayer functionality is at the very core of the Souls games...

From Software finally, officially confirms that Dark Souls servers are coming back

"We are currently in the process of restoring the online servers for the Dark Souls series on PC," FromSoftware said in an email sent to PC Gamer. "We plan to restore online service for each game progressively, bringing back servers for Dark Souls 3 once we complete the necessary work to correct the problem."

"We will provide additional updates as soon as the restoration schedule is finalized. We want to thank all our players for your patience and understanding as we work to fix this issue."

https://www.pcgamer.com/fromsoftwar...rms-that-dark-souls-servers-are-coming-back//

Back