Dark Hero - Where is the DRAM SPD WRITE option?

stryfex

Weaksauce
I just completed my build - in context for this question it's a Dark Hero motherboard and a 4-DIMM set of Trident Z Neo ram

I'm noticing the RGB on the ram isn't syncing with the ASUS aura sync software (it's RGB rainbow...but not in sync with the fans and other items). I googled that a bit and many people mentioned in the BIOS finding a setting called DRAM SPD WRITE which apparently allows the ram's LEDs to be communicated with by Asus Aura Sync - Only on my motherboard BIOS (latest version just updated an hour ago) i don't see this option at all or any other that seems roughly similar

Does anyone know what the Dark Hero's equivalent setting (if any) is?

I don't think that's your issue, to be honest.
I had the same thing happen, but a little different.

First, I was able to control my Trident Z RAM with Armory Crate.
Well, I don't like AC much, so I switched to Gskill's RGB software. Didn't work.
Then Armory Crate stopped working with DRAM too.

I began using Armory Crate's uninstaller, among other things, and went in circles installing and uninstalling Gskill or Armory, trying to find some combination that worked.
Well, to be honest, I don't quite know how I "fixed" it, but I'll mention that only Armory Crate works currently, and I'm a bit nervous about trying any further.
My RAM looks cute enough I guess. I wish Armory Crate would play nice, but it really doesn't.

The issue seems more specifically to be software on the OS related.
An OS wipe is more likely to fix it than a BIOS setting.
Although maybe you can figure it out.

Either way, keep me updated. I'd love to see if you make any progress.

We pay good money for RGB, so I think it's fair that we expect it to work.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply!!

One thing I've tried so far that hasn't truly helped but did well...provide some information is I uninstalled armoury crate (which bundles the aura sync functionality within itself) as well as the various little plugins that it throws in the add/remove programs screen of win10 and then found a legacy version of ASUS AURA (when it was installed on its own) - When i installed that it was able to talk to the RAM - but it was ovearall a bad experience and not the solution I would be happy with so I unintalled that and went back to Armoury Crate.

So basically I'm still at square 1 but I agree that the issue does appear to be at least mostly software-related but I'm unsure of what to do as Armoury Crate itself doesn't provide a ton of options and also any googling I do just returns lots of results about the DRAM SPD WRITE option I mentioned in the title - I will fiddle endlessly though I'm not giving up yet

I'm also noticing this with the LED strip on the Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL - it has the RGB colors as per the buttons i press to set them...but don't appear to be controlled by the motherboard

Try openRGB. I had this working with my dark hero and trident z RGB. It is still in beta so you may have some bugs here and there but a much lighter program than asus or GSkill garbage.

https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/releases

Thanks for the tip - openRGB didn't seem to see the TridentZ Neo either (or the addressable strip for the Lian Li case) :(

Armoury Crate (Aura) actually sees both, they just don't illuminate similarly to the rest of the components - maybe that's just like...the best they can do for syncing those types of things? I'll attach a pic in a sec of what it looks like

In this pic everything is cycling through the rainbow but at the point where i snapped the pic obviously the fans, pump and ROG are all synchronized perfectly while the strip and RAM...are not

IMG_20210202_154126.jpg

In this pic everything is cycling through the rainbow but at the point where i snapped the pic obviously the fans, pump and ROG are all synchronized perfectly while the strip and RAM...are not
Sorry to derail your thread but what are your temps with the coreliquid 360? I've got the 240 but it seems to run hot. my max was 72C but not in gaming. I know my cpu isnt the same but 72c for just basic stuff on a 5800x seems high.

Sorry to derail your thread but what are your temps with the coreliquid 360? I've got the 240 but it seems to run hot. my max was 72C but not in gaming. I know my cpu isnt the same but 72c for just basic stuff on a 5800x seems high.

Temps are (in my opinion good and room for some OC which I will do in a few weeks)

Interestingly I've noticed that games don't run up temperatures as much as certain other things...2 examples...

In games with heavy play (Elder Scrolls Online which is hard on CPUs) I haven't gone past 62deg celcius whereas running SabNZBd to hammer 30+ MB/s downloads I spiked from 70-74deg

In my opinion for 12/24 cores I'm quite happy with those thermals and would easily thing a +200 overclock would still keep it well under 90 under extreme load

Have the Dark Hero and Trident Z Royals.

Originally had an issue controlling RGB on the just the RAM - saw similar results in my googling re:dram SPD write - but didn't look for that in my troubleshooting.
G.Skill's RGB app tells you directly whether or not it can detect/talk to the RAM, which it was not doing as evidenced by a "DRAM" label in the app, when it should say "SYNC".

Uninstalled every RGB software control I could (Armoury Crate, G.SKILL, iCUE, eVGA X1) - reinstalled just G.Skill RAM RGB control, still nothing. Reformatted.
I removed and resat every memory module and installed a fresh new windows 10 Pro install offline and that did the trick.

Corsair fans all controlled by iCUE
GPU RGB by X1
RAM RGB by G.SKill RGB app
Motherboard/Distro Plate/O11D front RGB strip controlled by Armoury Crate.

Everything is in sync and I can control the motherboard southbridge RGB and I/O RGB with Armoury Crate or iCUE - but like I was aiming to do, all colors are now in sync and controllable.

Have the Dark Hero and Trident Z Royals.

Originally had an issue controlling RGB on the just the RAM - saw similar results in my googling re:dram SPD write - but didn't look for that in my troubleshooting.
G.Skill's RGB app tells you directly whether or not it can detect/talk to the RAM, which it was not doing as evidenced by a "DRAM" label in the app, when it should say "SYNC".

Uninstalled every RGB software control I could (Armoury Crate, G.SKILL, iCUE, eVGA X1) - reinstalled just G.Skill RAM RGB control, still nothing. Reformatted.
I removed and resat every memory module and installed a fresh new windows 10 Pro install offline and that did the trick.

Corsair fans all controlled by iCUE
GPU RGB by X1
RAM RGB by G.SKill RGB app
Motherboard/Distro Plate/O11D front RGB strip controlled by Armoury Crate.

Everything is in sync and I can control the motherboard southbridge RGB and I/O RGB with Armoury Crate or iCUE - but like I was aiming to do, all colors are now in sync and controllable.

Thanks for your response!! I'm glad there is a possible scenario where all this gets worked out. At this point a windows re-install is a step I'm unwilling to take as the cost/benefit to going through all that again isn't there for me - i'm going to keep trying everything I can short of that step though.

Would you be willing to post a gif/video or even a couple still images of your 011 XL strip in sync with the rest of your stuff? I'm curious to see what that looks like to be honest I've never seen it actually work

I have the same setup DH/Neo-Z/Lian-Li. Did you see all 3 devices under Aura Sync when you open AC? The Strip also needs to be set to MB mode (Keep clicking "M" button on the case until you get the colorshift with Aura. I didn't have any problems with BIOS 3202 Beta/3204

1612825376808.png

I have the same setup DH/Neo-Z/Lian-Li. Did you see all 3 devices under Aura Sync when you open AC? The Strip also needs to be set to MB mode (Keep clicking "M" button on the case until you get the colorshift with Aura. I didn't have any problems with BIOS 3202 Beta/3204

View attachment 327400

It looks exactly like that in aura sync for me (but with the RAM/strip still not working)

i let it go for a week or so to just enjoy the new build but will get back to trying to tackle this tonight

Well, I imagine nobody's looking at this thread anymore, but I figured out what's going on

When i set the RGB mode to a static color, or strobe effect or various other "easy" settings, everything coordinates perfectly fine (so obviously the RGB addressing is working well)

It's only when set to Rainbow modes that the RAM/strip don't seem in sync w/ the 10 fans. Basically the software/motherboard is telling those items "do RGB in rainbow mode" but they interpret that differently than the fans. The fans kind of phase through the colors in a kind of circular motion whereas the ram and strip have (not the same as each other even) vertical phasing. The coordination isn't quite at the level where the ram/strip can phase similarly to the fans in such a way that they look coordinated. I think if I want to use rainbow...I'll just have to deal with the way they don't quite look aligned w/ each other

I thought I had it figured out, but simply shutting down makes me lose control of the RAM RGB control and I end up using Aura Sync instead, which is fine too.
You also asked for a picture with the case front RGB strip in sync - sorry for the delay.

20210227_185536.jpg

Interesting setup. You are the only one I’ve seen with the gpu cables coming from the top. I found sometimes starting the computer from power off (especially if psu is hard shut off makes the aura sync stop.) Shutting down and starting again turns it back on again.

Btw where did you get the white radiators?

Thanks! I'm debating looks but I think White might be the way to go here. I went with the white LLs for the radiator fans too, but stuck to rimless White EZ-DIYs for the 4 case fans. Thankfully just needed to stick in one Light node so far.

I didn't do the Oreo white/black LLs on purpose, lol. Had the whites from a previous build and bought the blacks in deperation as they were the only ones I could find two months ago.
Quite like em like that though. Wish I could use the LL's with the Armory Crate controller and iCue at the same time. Finding the Armory Crate light controls a little more cool.

Hi

I've received today a 5900x with a dark hero and a Gskill trident neo kit and i have the same issue, the ram isn't showing in crate... Has someone found a fix?

I have Dark Hero with 3950X and Gskill Trident Neo RAM sets, I use Gskill's RGB software 1.00.22 version no issues.

Back