DAN C4-SFX: The smallest water cooling case in the world

dondan Reading the forum, I hope this feature/ edit has not been overlooked/forgotten.
3NPVI1n.jpg

I understand the many changes and renders have been already been implemented, but I would really like the option to include 2 additional fans on the bottom of the radiator (max height 12-15mm). Is this something you can add to the renders/work plan or have you completely decided not to go with this.

Again, I believe this to be an amazing feature that would allow for more/better cooling. How it looks with the current renders and with the 180 rotation, i dont now but I'm sure that you could put something together.

Happy New Year :)

Here is the result of the third poll:

survey3_result_darkkyuwa.jpg

In total, design A got 475 points, design B 653 points and design C 523 points. Only 15% of the survey participant gives the Design B 1 point. Design B is the average winner.

AIMiDaX a Hardforum Member, has another idea for a design that looks also very nice, but it could be difficult to manufacture it while keep the rotating feature. So currently I think about how I can make it fabricable.

A word about window kit: My plan is to offer two versions of the case. One version with a window kit and the second without. In reverse conclusion this means that every design I had shown in the last weeks will be window kit ready. So please don't make your decision based on renderings that shows a window kit, because it is not limited to one design.

Here are some pictures of the winner design:

1_1200jpgmnskd.jpg

2_1200m4sjr.jpg
Sigh, what a shame. The contrast line behind the front plate is what made this case unique looking. With the new sides, it not only looks a lot more like any other case, but also looks a lot more like the Anthoo cases with the bends on the side panels.

Sigh, what a shame. The contrast line behind the front plate is what made this case unique looking. With the new sides, it not only looks a lot more like any other case, but also looks a lot more like the Anthoo cases with the bends on the side panels.
I'm with you on this one. The original look is far more authentic and memorable than this new diagonal 45 degree (boring) cutouts.

Yeah, I agree, the original was the best (especially if side IO is a must)...

Ok now I understand.

I am appreciate about every comment, idea or criticism so please post what you think :)

Yeah, I agree, the original was the best (especially if side IO is a must)...
no way :eek: if it's just the side panels, maybe there could be a option for both in the kickstarter, as at least for me, I just love the 45° version - the first version tho, not so much (in direct comparison).

as for the front I/O - I'd rather go with side here, no matter if it's for the 45° or the first version. This gives something unique to the case, imho.

Dan, hello. Enthusiastic backer of the A4-SFX v2 here, eagerly awaiting its imminent arrival.

Upthread you said:
I will show you a 240mm AIO solution in the next days that will allow you to easy upgrade it with copper water GPUs heatsinks from EK, Koolance, Alphacool s.o. Futhermore I will also show you how you can easy refill it.

Can you elaborate on this? If I've followed the thread properly Alphacool's GPU waterblock fits, and with your recent adjustments their 240mm radiator does as well – but their CPU block+pump+reservoir is still a bit too large.

IMO the design of C4 makes it an ideal platform for CPU + GPU water cooling. Given with the rising popularity of modular/quick-disconnect cooling systems, ISTM that if you could demonstrate an end-to-end, low-maintenance, dual cooling solution for the C4-SFX, that would be a significant selling point for the case.

Any chance you can talk Alphacool into making a CPU block that fits the C4?

I think new trend of pc cases is tempered glass without hand screw

as dondan said, maybe this thing makes case thicker.

anyway... beautiful

Hi DonDan.
I'm a big fan of you and I really love your idea and designs. I've been reading about your new case Dan C4 and I'm wondering why you didn't design it as the A4 with the bottom as on C4. I really like the way you kept the CPU and GPU in seperated side on the A4, and if you could add the base where the watercooling are mounted from the C4 on the bottom of the A4, I mean all you have to do is to make the A4 1-2 cm wider, and add the watercooling mount on the bottom.
I hope you got the idea of what I mean.

You should look at the Ghost S1 from Loque thats exactly what you are looking for, seperate GPU/CPU compartment, top or bottom or both radiator support available through Tophats

You should look at the Ghost S1 from Loque thats exactly what you are looking for, seperate GPU/CPU compartment, top or bottom or both radiator support available through Tophats
Thanks alot exactly what i was looking for.

I'm sorry to post that here dondan, but did you saw that ? I don't really know if this is legal...

https://www.cowcotland.com/news/61046/boitier-pc-mini-itx-kolink-rocket.html#last

Wow, it is basically a cheaper version of the A4, that is incredible!
Just look at how the insides look, they are basically the same. The main difference is in the construction of the outer shell and it looks to me like it doesn't require the same tolerances as the A4. Meaning that it is probably cheaper to produce.

I am really thinking about buying one, tear it down and measure every single piece to compare the two cases.

I think new trend of pc cases is tempered glass without hand screw

as dondan said, maybe this thing makes case thicker.

anyway... beautiful

Where does the air come from?

Bump to this question for dondan...

Dan, hello. Enthusiastic backer of the A4-SFX v2 here, eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Upthread you said:
I will show you a 240mm AIO solution in the next days that will allow you to easy upgrade it with copper water GPUs heatsinks from EK, Koolance, Alphacool s.o. Futhermore I will also show you how you can easy refill it.

Can you elaborate on this? If I've followed the thread properly Alphacool's GPU waterblock fits, and with your recent adjustments their 240mm radiator does as well – but their CPU block+pump+reservoir is still a bit too large.

IMO the design of C4 makes it an ideal platform for CPU + GPU water cooling. Given with the rising popularity of modular/quick-disconnect cooling systems, ISTM that if you could demonstrate an end-to-end, low-maintenance, dual cooling solution for the C4-SFX, that would be a significant selling point for the case.

Any chance you can talk Alphacool into making a CPU block that fits the C4?

ive been downsizing cases from a full tower to a dans case so i can make myself a vrbackpack. the problem is my vid card isnt a blower style type and it heats up fast. so i set myself on a mission to try to fit a aio cooler on my 980ti non reference card that works with a 92mm rad that fits in this case. i found out that a kraken g12 with a 92mm asetak cooler actually works well and fits too. but im planning on making my cpu aio too so i going to take out the psu and mount it on the outside of the side panel and use that space for the second 92mm aio cooler for the cpu in its place. the power cables are going to be run threw the power plug hole since i dont need it inside the case anymore and dremel the side of it so i have a opening for the cables, cuss the only thing power wise that pases the motherboard is the power for the graphics card( which i could us that open io slot for gput) and sata power for the harddrive.

ive been downsizing cases from a full tower to a dans case so i can make myself a vrbackpack. the problem is my vid card isnt a blower style type and it heats up fast. so i set myself on a mission to try to fit a aio cooler on my 980ti non reference card that works with a 92mm rad that fits in this case. i found out that a kraken g12 with a 92mm asetak cooler actually works well and fits too. but im planning on making my cpu aio too so i going to take out the psu and mount it on the outside of the side panel and use that space for the second 92mm aio cooler for the cpu in its place. the power cables are going to be run threw the power plug hole since i dont need it inside the case anymore and dremel the side of it so i have a opening for the cables, cuss the only thing power wise that pases the motherboard is the power for the graphics card( which i could us that open io slot for gput) and sata power for the harddrive.

If you're willing to go outside the case anyway, consider an external AC-DC brick and a small, DC-based PSU like the HDPlex or PicoBox.

dondan, with the (significantly?) less expensive PCI riser in the A4 v3, will you reconsider the hard riser in the C4?

dondan, with the (significantly?) less expensive PCI riser in the A4 v3, will you reconsider the hard riser in the C4?

edit. Sorry, i misread your post. Edited my words:

If hard-riser works with current design/layout, i would say to stay with hard. Remains cheaper and more robust than flexible counterpart. I dont think there are any problems with current layout of the gpu a flexible riser could solve. There is not much room to begin with. Maybe move the card slightly down to have better airflow on the gpu as current design its slightly covered by the case panel 'non perforated" part.

Looking forward to the C4. Missed the A4, looking for another small ITX to follow my Ncase. Hope release date of "may 2018" is still on track :)

Last edited:
Looking forward to the C4. Missed the A4, looking for another small ITX to follow my Ncase. Hope release date of "may 2018" is still on track :)

May was the estimated KS campaign launch, not the release of the actual case. (Estimated launch of the case was November) If you've read the post I'm sure you're aware, just making sure :)

Plus estimations are only that, I'm sure they'll change. I'm in no rush myself, as I plan on doing a Icelake build with this case :D

Reactions: dglow
like this
You loose he ability to choose between 2.5slot graphics cards or bigger CPU cooling if you go for the split chamber design though.

What ‘bigger CPU cooling’? The entire design is centered around waterblocks.

Hey: calm down.

If you only want air cooling I think Dan has a case that's ready to buy.
There's a whole thread about it somewhere around here...

I just copied the text, should have changed it I suppose. Regardless, I think you can see from the post below that the designer of the case disagrees with you...

I am thinking of renaming the C4-H2O.
I am afraid, that somebody can think that this case is only made for water cooling. This is a real problem, because I think the air cooling efficiency of this case is better as it is in the A4-SFX.

Hm, don't think there's a serious disagreement here. Just pointing out the obvious: the key difference between A4 and C4 is space for a large radiator.

dondan, hello. Would you be so kind as to address my questions upthread? Many thanks!

dondan Reading the forum, I hope this feature/ edit has not been overlooked/forgotten.
3NPVI1n.jpg

I understand the many changes and renders have been already been implemented, but I would really like the option to include 2 additional fans on the bottom of the radiator (max height 12-15mm). Is this something you can add to the renders/work plan or have you completely decided not to go with this.

Again, I believe this to be an amazing feature that would allow for more/better cooling. How it looks with the current renders and with the 180 rotation, i dont now but I'm sure that you could put something together.

Happy New Year :)

dondan, tagging along the above message, I'd like to make two suggestions for you to consider as well, one major and one minor:

1) the option to mount two additional 120mm slim fans (max height 12-15mm) on the TOP of the case. I understand your reasoning for not designing the case with the option to include 2 radiators (top and bottom), BUT the option to add 2 slim fans wouldn't increase the overall height/volume too much.

2) the inclusion of two 240mm magnetic dust filters or the option to buy them as accessories (one for the side GPU panel, one for the top intake panel), like the one in the Ncase M1. Although DEMCiflex sells a kit for A4 already, their filter material is way too restrictive and their magnetic frame way too bulky, so it would be great to have a more elegant solution from you, considering the negative pressure airflow design.

BTW, I really appreciate all your efforts and designs! I'm a proud owner of an A4 case and looking forward to the HLSP-48 and this C4!! You're the man! Hooray!!

I don't like how the GPU covers the motherboard. Now-adays even the motherboards being manufactured are nice to look at, and I don't think many people would want crap blocking the view of their motherboard. Not to mention, you are making it unnecessarily hard to access motherboard components for trouble shooting and upgrading etc. I like the integration of the space for a 240 radiator, but you should keep the dual chamber layout the A4-SFX had and I would possibly replace my Ncase M1 with this. I am sure other folks would share my criticism.

There isn't really any beneficial attributes this case has over the A4-SFX V2. It still doesn't look as though you could do a custom loop and cool both CPU and GPU because of both getting in the way of each other, but I could be wrong. If you are just planning to use an AIO to cool your CPU, stick with the A4-SFX V2, because it can already do this is is 2 liters smaller.

I don't like how the GPU covers the motherboard. Now-adays even the motherboards being manufactured are nice to look at, and I don't think many people would want crap blocking the view of their motherboard. Not to mention, you are making it unnecessarily hard to access motherboard components for trouble shooting and upgrading etc. I like the integration of the space for a 240 radiator, but you should keep the dual chamber layout the A4-SFX had and I would possibly replace my Ncase M1 with this. I am sure other folks would share my criticism.

There isn't really any beneficial attributes this case has over the A4-SFX V2. It still doesn't look as though you could do a custom loop and cool both CPU and GPU because of both getting in the way of each other, but I could be wrong. If you are just planning to use an AIO to cool your CPU, stick with the A4-SFX V2, because it can already do this is is 2 liters smaller.

I for one, don’t share your criticism. The primary design doesn’t account for a window, so there is no view on the motherboard in any case. Even with a window, I wouldn’t mind just seeing the GPU and having the mobo behind it.

Accessing mobo components is not something you do often, the design really doesn’t have to accommodate for this, it’s a super compact case after all.
The whole point of the design is to reduce production time and cost over the A4, and one of the main factors is the flexible riser. With the alternative hard riser you cannot have a dual chamber setup.

I for one, don’t share your criticism. The primary design doesn’t account for a window, so there is no view on the motherboard in any case. Even with a window, I wouldn’t mind just seeing the GPU and having the mobo behind it.

Accessing mobo components is not something you do often, the design really doesn’t have to accommodate for this, it’s a super compact case after all.
The whole point of the design is to reduce production time and cost over the A4, and one of the main factors is the flexible riser. With the alternative hard riser you cannot have a dual chamber setup.

Interestingly enough, Dan achieved those goals with the recently announced A4 V3. Cost is reduced to ~€180 and production time has been decreased both the result of changing the riser manufacturer from 3M to Lian Li.

That's likely why Dan has been inactive here, he's been preoccupied with the A4 V3 launch.

There isn't really any beneficial attributes this case has over the A4-SFX V2. It still doesn't look as though you could do a custom loop and cool both CPU and GPU because of both getting in the way of each other, but I could be wrong.

The A4's absolutely tiny footprint has limitations, and makes it harder to keep everything cool. The C4 addresses those limitations, at the sacrifice of a slightly larger case. You choose between the smaller footprint of the A4, and deal with the limitations, or the slightly larger footprint of the C4, with less limitations.

They are totally different cases, for different audiences. if the C4 offers no benefit to you, then get the A4.

If you are just planning to use an AIO to cool your CPU, stick with the A4-SFX V2, because it can already do this is is 2 liters smaller.

Again, Limitations. Water cooling with the A4 means a smaller Rad, loss of 2 2.5" drive bays and less airflow. There's people over on the A4's thread having overheating issues with NVMe drives, even on mobos with massive heatsinks over the M.2 slot, because of the lack of airflow. I'd be more interested in Dans upcoming HSLP-48 and a 120mm fan ( if you purchase VLP memory) as a cooling option for the A4.

I'll be getting the C4 regardless of dual chamber or no dual chamber, but I would be interested in hearing if Dan would consider reopening discussion on that topic, with the reduced cost of Lian Li's riser.

Just wait patiently until Dans free to resume this project again :)

Last edited:
Personally I've never been keen to display my mobo or GPU. Prior to the A4-SFX my case was a FT-03 mini, which fully encases everything behind its opaque aluminum panels.

That said, it's quite clear that many feel otherwise; window panels and RGB-everythings are, after all, very popular. In this respect the A4-SFX struck gold, with symmetrical display of motherboard and GPU, easily visible on opposing sides. Dan originated and popularized this layout – it seems silly to walk away from it exactly when competitors (Ghost S1) have lifted this very aspect of the design.

I understand Dan's argument in favor of the hard riser. As lovely as it is, the A4-SFX is a pricey case, with the 3M riser reportedly its primary cost driver. But lo and behold: the A4 v3 arrives, sporting a newly-sourced riser and significant reduction in price.

Given this development, I think it's fair to question the raison d'être of the C4's hard riser. For me: an A4-style layout with room for a 240mm rad, please. This is basically what the Ghost S1 offers; but personally I'd rather support the originator of the form, and that's dondan.

EDIT: partially ninja'd by Snafus' post above, clearly thinking on the same wavelength.

Last edited:
dondan: we know the orientation of the case can be flipped, with the radiator on top, yet you usually choose to portray the design as above. Is there an inherent advantage you see to the rad-on-bottom orientation? Would the C4 be top-heavy when rad-on-top?

Today I made a small test how a A4 design would look like on the C4. Do you like it or do you love the C4 design more?

test.23943shm.jpg

test13zsul.jpg

Back