DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Is this with stock voltages and PBO enabled/stock ?

I'm in the middle of considering a 3700X + NH-L9A + Dan A4 SFX myself and I'm just trying to figure out to expect.

I'm getting the sense that this setup is very borderline based on what I've been reading. Thinking of dropping to a 3600.

I've gone from a Black Ridge w/ A12x15 and VLP ram to L9a + duct on my Dan A4 so I could use faster RAM. I try to get low to mid 80s as a max temp when doing small FFTs on Prime 95. In both cases the only change I made was to turn on PBO and play around with max PPT as offset voltage isn't currently working on my Gigabyte b450 mini itx motherboard. For the black ridge I have to set PPT to 80W and to 75W the L9a to maintain the same temps.

I'm genuinely impressed by how close the L9a performs. Performance in games is better due to the faster RAM and the CPU never reaches it's max PPT in gaming. I haven't done much in the way of productivity but Cinebench scores are ~1% lower than stock with the Black Ridge and ~3% lower than stock with the L9a.

Ordered my A4 v4 at Caseking w/ the black ridge on 4/8/2019 and 3 weeks later its still nowhere to be seen :|

am i stuck between the old and new v4.1 batch maybe?

Hello guys!

I am thinking about buying the new graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Armor 8G OC - card dimension is 250 x 129 x 44 mm

On DAN site I found this information about allowable dimension of the graphic card, but i don’t understand what the backplate is:

Height
From bottom of the PCIe®-Slot to top: 144 mm

Width
Without backplate: 40 mm
Including backplate: 45 mm

Length
Complete card incl. bracket: 306 mm
Without bracket: 295 mm

Could someone please tell me will this graphic card fit to my DAN-A4 case V2?

Thank you very much!
I just did not understand what size (40 mm or 45 mm) I should compare the size of the graphics card.

In your post it says

"Width:

Without backplate: 40 mm and including backplate: 45 mm"

And your cards dimension is x 44 mm, hence it will fit by a single mm.

What kind of Cinebench R20 scores are everybody getting with 3700X? Im getting around 4810 with Asrock B450 itx, PBO set at motherboard and 10X and auto OC at 200 with a 645LT.

What kind of Cinebench R20 scores are everybody getting with 3700X? Im getting around 4810 with Asrock B450 itx, PBO set at motherboard and 10X and auto OC at 200 with a 645LT.

~4650 region i recall. 3700x / Asus B450 itx / NH-L9A going to 95degC near the end of the test. PBO is off, no OC.

I've been getting in the 4700ish range generally. Gigabyte x570 itx, ABBA bios, no changes in bios for the CPU (did a lot of tweaking previously, but with all the bios flashing I've been doing, I can't be bothered to tweak it even more until the bios releases slow down)

I have an A4-SFX v2 I've been putting off actually doing anything with, and a Cooltek LP53 I bought for the purpose, given that it was kind of difficult to find here (had to import it from eBay) I didn't want to wait until it was no longer available.

I bought it with Intel in mind but things have since changed. Would that be compatible with the AM4 platform?
Or if not, what's the next best option that's Ryzen compatible?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon fits in the case? It is a two slot card but looks a bit tall. Did anyone try it?

Hi, I have a DanCase v4.1 on order and am prepping to do a custom acrylic window kit based on the template provided online. One question I have, the DanCase FAQ recommends M3 screws. Is there any experience in terms of what length to get, ie. 6mm or 8mm, etc?

I completed my build in May 2017, and I’m unhappy with the CPU temp I’m seeing and the noise I’m getting:
  • v1.0 case
  • i7-7700k (duh)
  • EVGA GeForce 1080 Ti FTW3 (triple open cooler)
My questions:
  • Should I replace the CPU with one that’s TDP <= 65W? Or can I get there by flipping switches in UEFI?
  • Should I get an Alpenföhn Black Ridge for cooling?
  • I might upgrade to the v4.1 case. Should I get an AIO the CPU to tackle temp & noise problems?
Really open for any kind of advice.

I completed my build in May 2017, and I’m unhappy with the CPU temp I’m seeing and the noise I’m getting:
  • v1.0 case
  • i7-7700k (duh)
My questions:
  • Should I replace the CPU with one that’s TDP <= 65W? Or can I get there by flipping switches in UEFI?
  • I might upgrade to the v4.1 case. Should I get an AIO the CPU to tackle temp & noise problems?

Have you tried delidding the CPU? If not makes a huge difference, usually 15 - 20C improvement.

• v1.0 case
  • i7-7700k (duh)
My questions:
There's a setting in the UEFI where you can limit the power of the CPU and therefor the heat it generates. Look for "Long Power Duration" setting and set it to 95 or less. By default the CPU goes beyond it's actual TDP.

• v1.0 case
  • i7-7700k (duh)
My questions:
That cooler is mostly known for noise, when installed in the A4 SFX. Fan right up against the grill will result in noise. If you remove the side panel, and the noise goes away, then that is your answer.

CPU-side has an easy solution for the i7 7700k: the Noctua L9i with a fan duct (3D print one).
GPU, not so easy. I guess make sure your GPU has idle stop? I never got over it, so I ended up switching back to a Ncase M1. Still love the A4 SFX, though, so I'll find a way to use it again.

Have you tried delidding the CPU? If not makes a huge difference, usually 15 - 20C improvement.

I haven’t, and I’m afraid of doing it :D

There's a setting in the UEFI where you can limit the power of the CPU and therefor the heat it generates. Look for "Long Power Duration" setting and set it to 95 or less. By default the CPU goes beyond it's actual TDP.

Thank you, will do!

That cooler is mostly known for noise, when installed in the A4 SFX. Fan right up against the grill will result in noise. If you remove the side panel, and the noise goes away, then that is your answer.

CPU-side has an easy solution for the i7 7700k: the Noctua L9i with a fan duct (3D print one).
GPU, not so easy. I guess make sure your GPU has idle stop? I never got over it, so I ended up switching back to a Ncase M1. Still love the A4 SFX, though, so I'll find a way to use it again.

I like the CPU solution! GPU does have idle stop and IMO has quite acceptable noise levels.

Has anyone tried using der8auer's direct-die frame for 9th gen CPUs with a 9900K and an L9i? I'm trying to figure out if the L9i is compatible with the direct-die frame and I can't find that information anywhere...

What are the maximum card dimensions for v2 of the Dan A4?

(The official website doesn't seem to list the dimensions of the older case models.)

Pretty much the same dimensions, nothing changed.

I recently asked myself whether it would be beneficial to thermally connect the backplate of the GPU to the frame (middle wall) of the case. So that the case acts as a heatsink. Maybe i will test it

Good question. Due to new monitor, I'm looking to buy a RX 5700 XT AIB board myself. So far it seems the Asrock Challenger series and the MSI Ventus are 2 slots.

So the Sapphire Pulse seems to have a height of 46mm. The dan cases website says, that card with a max width of 45mm (with backplate) will fit. So the Sapphire could maybe fit

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT to fit in my new Dan A4-SFX v4.1. The heatsink shroud was just barely too big and prevented the card from seating without modification. I didn't feel like removing the backplate or modding the case as I'm building this for a friend and I don't want to nix the warranties. Is there a list of 5700 xt's here that will fit?

Edit: I decided to go with a blower style 5700xt (the XFX) to be safe as they all seem to be under 45mm width.

Last edited:
I have a NF-A9-14 (92mm by 14mm) Noctua fan sitting at the front of my Dan A4 v2 case, so beneath the PSU. It blows air, up into the case, having sucked it through the bottom of the case.

Is there also room for one of these fans (or another fan, if slimmer, or smaller, with different dimensions entirely) at the back of the case, above the GPU and CPU, and the PCIe riser / extension cables?

I can't seem to fit the NF-A9-14 above the GPU, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

The Noctua Chromax fans make for a clean look:

LA7pwdxr.jpg

I started to piece together a Dan A4 build..

Got a 4.1 Dan A4 Case for Christmas, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo, and Corsair SFF 600watt as well as G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) as gifts

So its a solid foundation to my build just need cpu, mb, and cooler.

was going to go with the 3800x and Aorus x570 PRO WIFI, with asetek AIO but i think im going to have to sell the ram and spend more to get LPX if i go the AIO route.

I started to piece together a Dan A4 build..

Got a 4.1 Dan A4 Case for Christmas, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo, and Corsair SFF 600watt as well as G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) as gifts

So its a solid foundation to my build just need cpu, mb, and cooler.

was going to go with the 3800x and Aorus x570 PRO WIFI, with asetek AIO but i think im going to have to sell the ram and spend more to get LPX if i go the AIO route.

Very nice! My previous build was with the Ncase. I now have the Phanteks Evolv X case with my current rig.

So, after looking around a bit, it seems like the only cooler for AMD that will fit in such a small case is the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 and the L9i seems to be supported as well (but the two are nearly identical)
Is that still the case or are there better options now?
I was really hoping to utilize the maximum amount of space for the cooler, to help noise and also to help overclocking later down the road.
For Intel there are far more options, but then the 7nm Zen 2 is much more power efficient than Intel currently, so it may not even matter. It might overclock just as well as Intel does with a larger cooler thanks to the lower TDP.
But at least Noctua are making a black version of the L9i now (thanks LTT!) as I really was not keen on that beige fan.
I am not expecting amazing thermals either way so overclocking will probably be limited. Just not sure which option to go with.

Also, kind of an unrelated question, but how hot does the exhaust from the CPU get? In the event I decided to 3D print a shroud, would PLA (which starts deforming above like 60C) be good enough?

Pretty much the same dimensions, nothing changed.

I recently asked myself whether it would be beneficial to thermally connect the backplate of the GPU to the frame (middle wall) of the case. So that the case acts as a heatsink. Maybe i will test it
Most likely you won't notice much difference as GPU backplates do very little for cooling as it is.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any temp testing where they ran a Platinum rated Corsair SFX PSU vs a Gold rated SFX PSU in an otherwise identical setup with this case?

Has anyone seen any temp testing where they ran a Platinum rated Corsair SFX PSU vs a Gold rated SFX PSU in an otherwise identical setup with this case?

No direct vs eachother, but Johnyguru has pretty in-depth reviews of both. You can compare the reviews as they follow the same structure, in particular the load testing results. He does refer to the gold in the platinum review to some degree.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/07/04/corsair-sf600-gold-power-supply/

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/11/06/corsair-sf600-platinum-power-supply/

*note. Just looking at the hot load testing intake/exhaust temps seems an error in the exhaust of sf600 gold.
So only of limited use for your question unfortunately. In general you can read the reviews of improvements gold vs platinum. Also different cables provided with the platinum i believe.

In my similar situation: For my new DAN A4 build was reviewing suitable PSU's. My Ncase M1 has a Silverstone SFX 450 gold and have another Silverstone ML08 case with Silverstone SFX-L 500. For the A4 wanted to stick with SFX to remain having the AIO option. Further semi-passive mode highly desired, this was the main gripe i had with my Silverstone SFX-450 (1st model year so getting 'old').
In choosing between the two Corsair SFX's, I was mainly interested in the noise behavior. Platinum might sound better on paper, but could have a more aggressive fan curve at higher load.
I went with the platinum, very happy with the build, super quiet.

SC2020-01-06_110747.jpg

No direct vs eachother, but Johnyguru has pretty in-depth reviews of both. You can compare the reviews as they follow the same structure, in particular the load testing results. He does refer to the gold in the platinum review to some degree.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/07/04/corsair-sf600-gold-power-supply/

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/11/06/corsair-sf600-platinum-power-supply/

*note. Just looking at the hot load testing intake/exhaust temps seems an error in the exhaust of sf600 gold.
So only of limited use for your question unfortunately. In general you can read the reviews of improvements gold vs platinum. Also different cables provided with the platinum i believe.

In my similar situation: For my new DAN A4 build was reviewing suitable PSU's. My Ncase M1 has a Silverstone SFX 450 gold and have another Silverstone ML08 case with Silverstone SFX-L 500. For the A4 wanted to stick with SFX to remain having the AIO option. Further semi-passive mode highly desired, this was the main gripe i had with my Silverstone SFX-450 (1st model year so getting 'old').
In choosing between the two Corsair SFX's, I was mainly interested in the noise behavior. Platinum might sound better on paper, but could have a more aggressive fan curve at higher load.
I went with the platinum, very happy with the build, super quiet.

View attachment 213529

Thanks for the link. Interesting that the Platinum hit Titanium efficiency in some tests. Right now it is more of a curiosity more than anything, does the efficiency of the Platinum PSU improve the thermals enough to cause a perceptible difference? My luck has been that things always run a little hot, so could I gain an edge by springing for a Platinum PSU or would that be better allocated towards better fans/cooling solution? Or in my case, probably cable management :D

Thanks for the link. Interesting that the Platinum hit Titanium efficiency in some tests. Right now it is more of a curiosity more than anything, does the efficiency of the Platinum PSU improve the thermals enough to cause a perceptible difference? My luck has been that things always run a little hot, so could I gain an edge by springing for a Platinum PSU or would that be better allocated towards better fans/cooling solution? Or in my case, probably cable management :D

Yep almost Titanium, and the Gold is almost Platinum. I would start with the root cause and work your way from there. Thus highest efficiency possible depending on your budget constraints and sensitivity to emitted sound.

I don't quite get your reasoning though, when you mention allocating possibly better fans or cable management instead of higher PSU efficiency. Increased PSU efficiency only lowers the thermal output of the PSU itself, not the supplied components. The CPU and GPU will output the same thermals irrespective of PSU choice. With the DAN A4 the PSU thermals are venting up and directly out of the case. So if you want to reduce your system temperature, the efficiency of the PSU doesn't influence it in this case basically (unless you are recirculating the PSU output to the CPU fan input, like with an enclosed space).

I have swapped my thermalright TY-100 fan for a NF-A9x14 CHROMAX on my asetek AIO liquid cooler and my corsair sf600 power supply. They may look the same as the regular NF-A9x14 but the results are ASTONISHING.

- It has the same quiet operation.
- Its max RPM is faster than the regular brown NF-A9x14 PWM (2200rpm vs 2500), so it is a lot better for cpu cooling.
- It is black, so it looks a lot more elegant than the brown one.
- It handles my 22 cores xeon e5-2696 V4 like a charm, a lot better and quietter than my old thermalright ty100 fan, max temps while rendering are 76º with all cores on turbo. This is a 155w TDP so I’m very impressed!!!

30-BE9982-CDF6-4040-A5-FA-EA9-CBA0-DA051.jpg

(the fan in the power supply is a noctua chromax, i swapped the sticker with the original fan)

If you are going to upgrade the fan I can only recommend it!

Last edited:
Is the 295mm maximum GPU length with or without the bracket? I see the triple fan models available are usually around 300mm, I am assuming this is including the bracket. If 295mm is measured without the bracket, they should still fit.
I am especially looking at the AMD Radeon 5700 XT and the Nvidia RTX 2070 Super (AMD mostly for their FreeSync over HDMI 2.0b support, it's also considerably cheaper than the 2070 Super for nearly the same performance)
Is there a specific brand/model that is optimal for the A4-SFX as far as thermals go, while still fitting inside the case?

Last edited:
I have swapped my thermalright TY-100 fan for a NF-A9x14 CHROMAX on my asetek AIO liquid cooler and my corsair sf600 power supply. They may look the same as the regular NF-A9x14 but the results are ASTONISHING.

- It has the same quiet operation.
- Its max RPM is faster than the regular brown NF-A9x14 PWM (2200rpm vs 2500), so it is a lot better for cpu cooling.
- It is black, so it looks a lot more elegant than the brown one.
- It handles my 22 cores xeon e5-2696 V4 like a charm, a lot better and quietter than my old thermalright ty100 fan, max temps while rendering are 76º with all cores on turbo. This is a 155w TDP so I’m very impressed!!!

View attachment 214801
(the fan in the power supply is a noctua chromax, i swapped the sticker with the original fan)

If you are going to upgrade the fan I can only recommend it!
How is the new noctua chromax performance compared to stock fan? any idea if NF-A9x14 will also fit in SF750? I think the same fan is used in both psu's but I'm not 100% sure.

I did some measurements for CableMod cable lengths, and would like some input.
I only did rough measurements with a piece of string without removing all the power cables and other cables beforehand.

I want the cables not too tight (to not put much strain on them) and with enough length to route cables optimally. But also not having so much slack that I need to bunch up wire and use cable ties/zip ties to keep it out of the way.
With that in mind, do you think these lengths are about right?

When the motherboard is mounted in the case the connectors are in the following locations:
EPS connector on bottom at the back.
ATX on the bottom right next to the PSU.
SATA data connectors on top and middle next to the PSU (I'm also buying a sleeved SATA cable)
19245bld3.jpg

I'm considering ordering the following cable lengths:
  • 24(28) pin ATX: 150 mm (-150 mm from stock). 150 mm has to be custom ordered as it's not available in the configurator. It's the shortest ATX length they do, otherwise 100 mm might be best.

• 8 pin EPS: 250 mm (-150 mm from stock) minimum, routed along the outer edge on the bottom of the case. 300 mm (-100 mm from stock) if routing the cable behind/underneath the motherboard, which looks like it might be the optimal routing. So I will probably order 300 mm if that sounds good.

• SATA power, single plug: 100mm (-345 mm from stock, same length as the first plug on the stock cable) straight to the drive in front. The drive is plugged into the first plug on the cable right now and that is long enough. Any excess cabling between the PSU and HDD is just gonna get in the way of the intake fan so that is one place I don't want to have excess cabling.

• 6+2/6 pin PCI-e: 350 mm (only -50 mm from stock), 300 mm looks like it may be too short when routing below the HDD in front.

• SATA data cable: 30 cm (they offer 2 lengths with 30 cm being the shortest), routed underneath the PSU. Above (crossing over the PSU exhaust vent) would also be an option, but may require a longer cable, I was not sure if crossing over the PSU exhaust vent would be a good idea, and it may be hard to squeeze the cable in the front compartment where the HDD is. How do you guys route your SATA data?

Edit: After rerouting all the power cables as best as I can, I'm not so sure 250 mm is long enough for the PCI-e power. I forgot to take a close look at how much slack there is on the 400 mm stock cables, and it's all closed up now, so I'll do that later, but there didn't seem to be that much after rerouting the cables in front below the 2.5" HDD. Maybe 10 cm, just a guesstimation.
I could not test out routing the EPS cable underneath the motherboard, as the case fan is in the way of where I wanted to put the cable through, and I didn't want to take half of the PC apart just to get free access to the fan. But I still think 300 mm and routing the cable underneath might be the way to go.

It took 1.5 hours to reroute the cables, i tried to route the PCI-e cables up along the front of the case where the HDD is before realizing it was blocking the power button piece on the outer shell, so I had to redo it. Personally, I find it fun to work on a case like this, even though it can get a bit frustrating when I have to redo my routing multiple times to find the best possible routing. It just feels so good when it's all together and I know I did a good job.

Edit2:
I got a response from CableMod:
The shortest we make cables is 150mm. If you'd like a shorter length than what’s available in the configurator, please place your order and send us your order # and the length you want it changed to and we can make the adjustment.
That is good news. 100 mm would be even better, but 150 mm is certainly a lot better than 250 mm. Just need to finalize the PCIe power cable lengths, then I'm pretty much ready to order. I would still like some input on the SATA data cable routing though.

Also, for anyone else with custom PSU cables, what lengths did you use, what motherboard do you have, and how was the fit? (too tight, just right, some slack or a lot of slack)

Last edited:
I hav
I did some measurements for CableMod cable lengths, and would like some input.
I only did rough measurements with a piece of string without removing all the power cables and other cables beforehand.

I want the cables not too tight (to not put much strain on them) and with enough length to route cables optimally. But also not having so much slack that I need to bunch up wire and use cable ties/zip ties to keep it out of the way.
With that in mind, do you think these lengths are about right?

When the motherboard is mounted in the case the connectors are in the following locations:
EPS connector on bottom at the back.
ATX on the bottom right next to the PSU.
SATA data connectors on top and middle next to the PSU (I'm also buying a sleeved SATA cable)
View attachment 218008

I'm considering ordering the following cable lengths:
  • 24(28) pin ATX: 250 mm (-50 mm from stock). 150 mm (-150 mm from stock) would be better, but this is the shortest length CableMod sells. I will try to custom request 150 mm and see what they say. 100 mm looks like it could also work but may be tight and put a lot of strain on the wires that travel the furthest (on the outside corner of the bend), if any of you have experience with ATX cables this short, please chime in.

• 8 pin EPS: 250 mm (-150 mm from stock) minimum, routed along the outer edge on the bottom of the case. 300 mm (-100 mm from stock) if routing the cable behind/underneath the motherboard, which looks like it might be the optimal routing. So I will probably order 300 mm if that sounds good.

• SATA power, single plug: 100mm (-345 mm from stock, same length as the first plug on the stock cable) straight to the drive in front. The drive is plugged into the first plug on the cable right now and that is long enough.

• 6+2/6 pin PCI-e: 250 mm (-150 mm from stock), I have a feeling it may end up being a bit short once I route it, so I may go with 300 mm instead. Would appreciate some input on this, since the PCI-e cable runs should be about the same for everyone with an A4-SFX.

• SATA data cable: 30 cm (they offer 2 lengths with 30 cm being the shortest), routed underneath the PSU. Above (crossing over the PSU exhaust vent) would also be an option, but may require a longer cable, I was not sure if crossing over the PSU exhaust vent would be a good idea. How do you guys route your SATA data?

Edit: After rerouting all the power cables as best as I can, I'm not so sure 250 mm is long enough for the PCI-e power. I forgot to take a close look at how much slack there is on the 400 mm stock cables, and it's all closed up now, so I'll do that later, but there didn't seem to be that much after rerouting the cables in front below the 2.5" HDD. Maybe 10 cm, just a guesstimation.
I could not test out routing the EPS cable underneath the motherboard, as the case fan is in the way of where I wanted to put the cable through, and I didn't want to take half of the PC apart just to get free access to the fan. But I still think 300 mm and routing the cable underneath might be the way to go.

It took 1.5 hours to reroute the cables, i tried to route the PCI-e cables up along the front of the case where the HDD is before realizing it was blocking the power button piece on the outer shell, so I had to redo it. Personally, I find it fun to work on a case like this, even though it can get a bit frustrating when I have to redo my routing multiple times to find the best possible routing. It just feels so good when it's all together and I know I did a good job.

Edit2:
I got a response from CableMod:

That is good news. 100 mm would be even better, but 150 mm is certainly a lot better than 250 mm. Just need to finalize the PCIe power cable lengths, then I'm pretty much ready to order. I would still like some input on the SATA data cable routing though.

Also, for anyone else with custom PSU cables, what lengths did you use, what motherboard do you have, and how was the fit? (too tight, just right, some slack or a lot of slack)

I have the same setup as yours and optimal calbe lenghts for me are as follows:
  • ATX 24pin cable - 160 mm
  • EPS 8pin/2x4pin cable - 260 mm (300mm if you want to route behind the mobo sounds about right)
  • GPU 6+2pin cable - 350 mm (routed throught the front panel)
  • SATA 5pin cable - 150 mm
Hope this helps. Just wondering what temps are you getting on your ssd drive under the stock Asus heatsink.

Back